Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
LoS world not Skylands [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 16:42:57 14/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Some fans new to the series, or some Spyro fans who never played Skylanders, keep getting the impression that Skylands is the same shattered world at the end of the Legend of Spyro trilogy, which is not. I know that there are similar, but apparently the fans don't seem to do research and just assume that the world of Skylands is what became of Spyro's world in the LoS without bothering to look at the character and story differences. It should be obvious that it's not the same world as Skylanders, yet some fans try to add them together making it all more confusing.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:42:33 14/09/2014 by Aura24
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 18:16:05 14/09/2014
But you gotta grasp at those straws, Aura. There's no *possible* way even the new canon doesn't want LOS around smilie

And even if we find out that the Skylands originated from a world once, it doesn't make sense because Story Scrolls already mentioned the darn dimension could be as big as several planets because of the sheer size of some regions. And if this was really a sequel, why would they be rewriting Malefor as the king of the undead/ as a king of undead dragons and Hex as being the one that kicked his teeth in when supposedly only a purple dragon could before?
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:16:29 14/09/2014 by Bifrost
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#3 Posted: 20:06:28 14/09/2014
Um, Bifrost? I think you should read what Aura said. XD She's saying Skylanders IS NOT LoS.
#4 Posted: 20:10:08 14/09/2014
I know, trying to be sarcastic. The emote should've sufficed, but maybe I'll start using "/s" from now on :U
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#5 Posted: 21:05:22 14/09/2014
I think it's just a matter of trying to create interesting headcanon or link up various characters between the two.
#6 Posted: 21:06:02 14/09/2014
Oooooh. XD I have emotes disabled. Even if I didn't, though, I take most text meaning from context because emoticons mean something different to everyone (with the exception of the basic smilies). And I can't see the emotes on this site at all, anyway. :D
#7 Posted: 06:48:11 15/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
But you gotta grasp at those straws, Aura. There's no *possible* way even the new canon doesn't want LOS around smilie

And even if we find out that the Skylands originated from a world once, it doesn't make sense because Story Scrolls already mentioned the darn dimension could be as big as several planets because of the sheer size of some regions. And if this was really a sequel, why would they be rewriting Malefor as the king of the undead/ as a king of undead dragons and Hex as being the one that kicked his teeth in when supposedly only a purple dragon could before?

Some Spyro fans never read the Skylander backstories to even realize the big difference.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#8 Posted: 08:50:50 15/09/2014
DEEPEST
E
E
P
E
S
T

LORE
O
R
E
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#9 Posted: 22:12:19 15/09/2014
I noticed people making that assumption...
Annoys me when nobody does their research. :/
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
#10 Posted: 06:34:38 16/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Like they just finished watching the ending of DotD, and some fans automatically assume it's Skylands because the world became floating islands.
---
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 07:10:02 16/09/2014
Quote: CAV
I think it's just a matter of trying to create interesting headcanon or link up various characters between the two.

-----
#12 Posted: 18:52:20 16/09/2014
^In some cases it is just that. But in a lot more cases, it isn't. It's pretty easy to tell which is which, too.
#13 Posted: 05:18:01 18/09/2014 | Topic Creator
But maybe the Spyro in DotD is the ancestor of the Spyro in Skylanders! Or, or Malefor turned into a skeleton while he became trapped in the center of the world!
---
#14 Posted: 18:22:53 18/09/2014
No one described Malefor yet to know if he's a dracolich or an Undead Dragon. He could look like Vathek for all we know - and there's little reason for the same guy from DOTD who wanted to destroy the world to simply settle with an army of undead in a land that, from what we see in the books and the games, most creatures can easily leave. They rewrote him just like they rewrote Cynder.

Though one has to wonder - if Malefor is the king of the undead(and not a king of undead dragons specifically), what happened to Philosopher King Mortalannis?
---
#15 Posted: 18:44:09 18/09/2014
Who's Mortalannis?
#16 Posted: 18:49:28 18/09/2014
It's on the story scroll on Cadaverous Cyrpt at SSA. The first king of the Undead, he believed they should stop bickering with the living since they'd die on their own eventually.Obviously explained in much nicer terms since it's a kid's game.
---
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#17 Posted: 19:02:56 18/09/2014
Yes, yes, but I don't see the issue with discussing that if there's a discussion about headcanons. And maybe I'm looking in the wrong (right?) places, but I hardly see anyone insisting their headcanons about LoS being linked to Skylands are canon in this fandom and I can't remember seeing that kind of thing on this site.
#18 Posted: 19:56:28 18/09/2014 | Topic Creator
It's usually around Youtube when users just finished watching/playing DotD just assume that Skylands "is the shattered world of The Legend of Spyro".
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#19 Posted: 03:51:14 20/09/2014
Well I'm still subscribed to the headcanon that DotD didn't actually happen and Malefor destroyed the world, so of course Skylands isn't the same world as the Legendverse. XP
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#20 Posted: 04:22:46 20/09/2014
I like that headcanon. :D The world was destroyed at the end of TEN and all of DotD is just some crazy dream one of the only surviving three characters is having because they are trapped in time for all eternity. XD
#21 Posted: 15:01:39 20/09/2014
Quote: Razz
I like that headcanon. :D The world was destroyed at the end of TEN and all of DotD is just some crazy dream one of the only surviving three characters is having because they are trapped in time for all eternity. XD

It makes perfect sense. Why the heck would Malefor, who was free with the only threat to his plan trapped in stasis, send his own troops to break out the dragons? <.>
---
#22 Posted: 23:54:04 20/09/2014
DotD Malefor was an idiot. D: Which sort of gives more weight to the dream theory, because Spyro himself is not that smart in LoS. He might dream that his greatest nemesis isn't so bright. The dream would also explain the artistic style of DotD being so different. :D
#23 Posted: 01:50:59 21/09/2014
To add to the dream fuel: Spyro chose to have his "nemesis" take the (heavily distorted) voice of the DCAU Joker. Who always knew how to give Batman a rough time. Dream!Spyro thinks highly of himself. XP
---
#24 Posted: 16:36:41 21/09/2014
More dream fuel: Cynder is wearing her slave collar/gauntlets again and looks more like the version of herself Spyro first met and is most afraid of. That version of her being so OOC suggests that he's trying to take the teeth out of the thing he fears, something that can often happen in dreams.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#25 Posted: 12:45:12 27/09/2014
Someone should throw the idea to Game Theory and see what stupid way of linking the two universes MatPat comes up with.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#26 Posted: 14:47:51 27/09/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Someone should throw the idea to Game Theory and see what stupid way of linking the two universes MatPat comes up with.

Yeah, but I don't think Skylanders or LoS are worth his time. XP
---
#27 Posted: 17:43:03 27/09/2014
It doesn't take MatPat to connect LoS and Skylands if someone wants to. It's pretty easy to do, it's just not actual canon. And I'm with HIR: the Spyro franchise in general, but LoS and Skylanders especially, are too small potatoes for the likes of Game Theory.
#28 Posted: 19:19:26 27/09/2014
DISCLAIMER: My last comment was not putting Game Theory on a pedestal. The show has become crap, IMO.

Also apparently MatPat is a douche IRL (at conventions and such) anyway.
---
#29 Posted: 20:31:01 27/09/2014
I didn't think your last comment was putting Game Theory on a pedastal; it read pretty anti-GT. I don't know anything about MatPat personally and I'll keep it that way since I quite enjoy his ideas and the way they're presented. I've seen all of GT and I don't really agree with you at all on the show going downhill, but to each their own. If you dislike it so much, why are you still wasting minutes of your life you can't get back on it? And bringing it up randomly in a thread not about it?
#30 Posted: 22:44:08 27/09/2014
I've really just "wasted" seconds, these aren't incredibly long posts.

And I just mentioned it as a joke - have a ridiculous theory, like linking two completely unrelated worlds? Bring it to Game Theory! smilie

And I say that regardless of my dislike for the show.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:04:47 28/09/2014 by sonicbrawler182
#31 Posted: 23:48:51 27/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Ahh, the cluelessness of some fans -

Quote: Random user
i mean cynder,spyro its obvious skylanders and legand of spyro are the same timeline!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:52:29 27/09/2014 by Aura24
#32 Posted: 23:50:38 27/09/2014
Aura, showing the usernames isn't going to be very nice. Sure the discussion is civil here but someone can always take offense to it and go after the poor kid/teenager/adult/whatever to harass them.
---
#33 Posted: 23:52:48 27/09/2014 | Topic Creator
I was in the middle of editing it. Fixed.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#34 Posted: 01:17:39 28/09/2014
NO! NO! NO! NO ONE CONNECT THOSE TOO! PLEASE NICOLAS CAGE DON'T CONNECT THEM. LoS is........................"breaks down crying"

That's..THAT'S not what Spyro is.

DotD Malefor was an idiot. D: Which sort of gives more weight to the dream theory, because Spyro himself is not that smart in LoS. He might dream that his greatest nemesis isn't so bright. The dream would also explain the artistic style of DotD being so different. smilie

LoS' Malefor was horrendously moronic (His voice is pretty cool). He yells "Prepare to die" to Spyro and that OTHER "purple" dragon. Only for him to fly up into the air to start that Boss fight. You're a near god like monster, KILL THEM THERE!!!!!.

And the GLORY to Cynder. Ugh. She CHANGES color to a dark purple some how, gets four elements to control and gets with Spyro and is the only one to stay with him. Ugh, I HATE this game (Although I like a two levels from it).
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#35 Posted: 01:45:04 28/09/2014
It's what the fans wanted, their own edgy rebel character of the franchise but with the added bonus of being a really easy to set up love interest. And we got both of those things.
At least Cynder's personality in Skylanders makes so much more sense, though it's a shame it can only be seen in the books - impulsive, hates silliness, isn't afraid of giving disproportionate retributions because of the way she was raised; but gets called out for it with reason. Nothing of being a rebel full to the brim with annoying attitude but the only thing anyone points out is that she has dark powers instead of say, yells at everyone because she's mad at something else entirely.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:45:35 28/09/2014 by Bifrost
#36 Posted: 01:53:58 28/09/2014
It's what the fans wanted, their own edgy rebel character of the franchise but with the added bonus of being a really easy to set up love interest. And we got both of those things.
At least Cynder's personality in Skylanders makes so much more sense, though it's a shame it can only be seen in the books - impulsive, hates silliness, isn't afraid of giving disproportionate retributions because of the way she was raised; but gets called out for it with reason. Nothing of being a rebel full to the brim with annoying attitude but the only thing anyone points out is that she has dark powers instead of say, yells at everyone because she's mad at something else entirely.

That's actually very well developed. I never read the books, what's Spyro and Gill Grunts personality like?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#37 Posted: 01:59:12 28/09/2014
I love Skylanders Cynder's personality, actually. It's what I got the sense they were trying (and failed) to do in DotD.
#38 Posted: 02:13:28 28/09/2014
Quote: sonicbrawler182
Also apparently MatPat is a douche IRL (at conventions and such) anyway.

The one time I saw something he did (guest starring on The Completionist), I thought he sounded extremely conceited and vowed never to watch any of his stuff. @.@;
---
#39 Posted: 02:23:31 28/09/2014
His videos on their own definitely have some problematic aspects (using a lot of sex jokes aimed at dehumanizing women comes to mind). I wouldn't want to meet him in person but, like I said, I do like the way he strings together his ideas. It's possible to enjoy problematic things, just don't excuse the problems.
#40 Posted: 02:30:59 28/09/2014
His videos on their own definitely have some problematic aspects (using a lot of sex jokes aimed at dehumanizing women comes to mind). I wouldn't want to meet him in person but, like I said, I do like the way he strings together his ideas. It's possible to enjoy problematic things, just don't excuse the problems.

Typical bad "nerd" humor. How picture or text will move with the tone of his voice (He goes "uhhhh" the pic/text will lowered down) bad jokes that he goes "Uhhh sorry guys, I know that was bad" Like Jwittz.
---
#41 Posted: 02:35:18 28/09/2014
Getting back on topic... Aura, exactly how old do you think the people who believe LoS and Skylanders exist in the same continuity are? <.<
---
#42 Posted: 02:40:21 28/09/2014
I'm guessing 10-13. Ugh. LoS I used to want to make a movie based on the series. I look back at it now. The series is awful. I don't what I was thinking.
---
#43 Posted: 02:41:53 28/09/2014
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
I'm guessing 10-13. Ugh. LoS I used to want to make a movie based on the series. I look back at it now. The series is awful. I don't what I was thinking.

Well we all have our zanier moments from when we were younger. I want to smack 2006!HIR across the face for claiming he could beat ANB in 45 minutes, amongst other bad things. >.>
---
#44 Posted: 02:53:15 28/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
Getting back on topic... Aura, exactly how old do you think the people who believe LoS and Skylanders exist in the same continuity are? <.<

Depends if they have just finished playing the LoS trilogy and have no clue about the Skylands lore in the Skylanders series. It can be at any age. Once they see the floating islands at the end of DotD, there would be some fans saying "Hey look, it's Skylands!" "That's proof the LoS is indeed the same universe as the Skylanders series!"

That's actually very well developed. I never read the books, what's Spyro and Gill Grunts personality like?

Spyro's much like his classic counterpart, he's headstrong, cocky, impulsive, he at first believed he could do everything by himself even after becoming a Skylander. He has a strong bond with Master Eon and tries to learn whatever abilities he can to use them to protect Skylands.

Gill Grunt is one of Spyro's close friends, as he, Trigger Happy and Spyro have been on missions as one of the few modern Skylanders. Spyro himself even mentioned that Gill Grunt is the bravest Gillman he has ever met. However Gill Grunt is oblivious to the fact that his singing can be unpleasant, but his friends including Spyro don't want to discourage him about it.
---
#45 Posted: 02:59:00 28/09/2014

Well we all have our zanier moments from when we were younger. I want to smack 2006!HIR across the face for claiming he could beat ANB in 45 minutes, amongst other bad things. >.>

It was awful later on too in the developent! I wanted to make a cross over with a bunch of stuff have Spyro, Aang and PALKIA defeat Malefor together. I still LOVE cross over stories, but what the ruddy hell was I thinking.

Quote: Aura24

Depends if they have just finished playing the LoS trilogy and have no clue about the Skylands lore in the Skylanders series. It can be at any age. Once they see the floating islands at the end of DotD, there would be some fans saying "Hey look, it's Skylands!" "That's proof the LoS is indeed the same universe as the Skylanders series!"

Spyro's much like his classic counterpart, he's headstrong, cocky, impulsive, he at first believed he could do everything by himself even after becoming a Skylander. He has a strong bond with Master Eon and tries to learn whatever abilities he can to use them to protect Skylands.

Gill Grunt is one of Spyro's close friends, as he, Trigger Happy and Spyro have been on missions as one of the few modern Skylanders. Spyro himself even mentioned that Gill Grunt is the bravest Gillman he has ever met. However Gill Grunt is oblivious to the fact that his singing can be unpleasant, but his friends including Spyro don't want to discourage him about it.

I never saw Skylanders Spyro as cocky, impulsive yes, but not cocky.

And I'm very much of aware of Gill and Spyro's best friendship. I prefer it to Spyro and Sparx. It's one of my favorite things about Skylanders actually.
---
#46 Posted: 03:01:49 28/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Spyro's cocky in the books, and in-game he actually shows some cockiness during gameplay.
---
#47 Posted: 03:03:28 28/09/2014
How so? I always saw it as confidence.
---
#48 Posted: 03:07:39 28/09/2014 | Topic Creator
His battle cries in the game shows his cockiness, like "You want some of this?" and "Mess with the Dragon, you get the horns!". Some of the Skylanders battle cries hint at their personalities.
---
#49 Posted: 03:09:08 28/09/2014
Quote: Aura24
His battle cries in the game shows his cockiness, like "You want some of this?" and "Mess with the Dragon, you get the horns!". Some of the Skylanders battle cries hint at their personalities.

That's more come and get it and taunt-ish. But it's what ever we want to think of it.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me