Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
NFC vs RFID [CLOSED]
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#1 Posted: 16:26:33 01/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Look at this: http://electronics.howstuffwor...fid-and-nfc.htm

As you know, Skylanders currently uses RFID based technology for its figures. As you know, an emerging radio communication trend with NFC is being used for office devices, smart phones etc and "appears" to be an upcoming standard; it's being used by Nintendo on it's toy to life entry.

What impact will NFC have on this franchise? Benefits wise, I think it's safe to say they basically can do the same thing; however NFC's application might open up more possibilities from a marketing standpoint in the future.

If Activision decides to change the technology, how will it impact us? Unknown, but it would be great to get Activision's stance on this.

Discuss.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#2 Posted: 16:41:03 01/09/2014
Slightly related, you can download NFC readers for your phone (if you have an NFC-capable phone) and it will read Skylanders. I haven't found a particularly useful application, but I did set it up so if I tap a particular Skylander to the phone, it will call my wife... no reason, except that I can.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#3 Posted: 17:23:48 01/09/2014
What? That's not true at all. NFC is a standard of radio communication based on RFID frequencies, they're the same thing. Skylanders uses NFC technology, but it's identical to RFID technology because... That's the point.
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#4 Posted: 17:37:53 01/09/2014
This thread is like saying
"Water Vs H2O"

Think of it like WiFi on your PC.

A/B/G/N/C whatever. All different standards of the same thing.

They will NOT change Skylanders because it could cause incompatibility with older figures/games and they have made a big deal all along you "get to keep your investment".

Sadly, newer Android phones are not compatible with Skylanders because they only support the newer standard not the older one used by Activision. I believe the 2012 Nexus 7 does but the 2013 Nexus 7 doesn't.
This is why I never went ahead and made my app for Android phones, too much incompatibility and small market (for a free app hehe)
#5 Posted: 17:40:41 01/09/2014
It seems weird that newer phones won't read older tags. You'd think they'd support backwards compatibility.
#6 Posted: 19:12:33 01/09/2014
MiFare Classic was a proprietary protocol used in the NXP chips only.
Newer phones use the open new protocols and "standards" compliant chips.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#7 Posted: 20:37:08 02/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Pyrofer
This thread is like saying
"Water Vs H2O"

Think of it like WiFi on your PC.

A/B/G/N/C whatever. All different standards of the same thing.

They will NOT change Skylanders because it could cause incompatibility with older figures/games and they have made a big deal all along you "get to keep your investment".

Sadly, newer Android phones are not compatible with Skylanders because they only support the newer standard not the older one used by Activision. I believe the 2012 Nexus 7 does but the 2013 Nexus 7 doesn't.
This is why I never went ahead and made my app for Android phones, too much incompatibility and small market (for a free app hehe)

I definitely don't disagree here, but thought it might make for a potentially interesting, if not educational, thread for some of our more technically oriented players. However, from a marketing standpint---if competitors emerge that support NFC's capability on phones it will create a wrinkle for Activision to be competitive.

Frankly, I haven't spent more than 5 minutes researching the TECHNICAL difference, other than "it's so close you won't tell the difference" but might speak to how new competitors can be "differentiated" by supporting devices that only support the newer tech. That is potentially the more interesting piece in this, since the technology simply "does what it does".

Still, being aware of emerging standards is never a bad idea... the fact that Nintendo is using NFC as a new entry might create future competitive problems for Activsion...and if they could meet this threat somehow and be backwards compatible.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 20:45:59 02/09/2014 by GhostRoaster
#8 Posted: 21:32:18 02/09/2014
I doubt Activision would change, they value the backwards compatibility with older figures/games.
Also, there is no real advantage as they give a "portal" away with the starter set.

Sure, having the built in NFC reader on the NEW 3DS or WiiU would be easier but can you honestly play on the WiiU with a figure balanced on the controller? Same on the NEW 3DS with it on the bottom screen right in the way of play smilie
They still need a portal for other consoles with no NFC.

I see no real advantage to changing, lots of problems with it however.
My prediction is they will stick with this system for the life of the franchise. Sure if it gets super hacked and all the information released they may change to protect the franchise but I see no other reason.

NFC is not really a "threat" in any way for Activision, it's just a different way of doing the same thing.
#9 Posted: 22:40:56 02/09/2014
In theory, what would stop Activision from creating a new gameportal that is backwards compatible with the old standard but also works with the new standard?
#10 Posted: 22:50:44 02/09/2014
Not sure there is a chip that does the old Proprietary stuff AND the new standards stuff.
Can't have both in one portal (they would conflict).

It's kind of an either or situation. Plus added costs.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me