Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > [POLL] What is the best console Spyro game?
Page 1 of 1
[POLL] What is the best console Spyro game? [CLOSED]
zer0dch Ripto Gems: 1916
#1 Posted: 02:54:16 25/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Vote here, and please post your reasoning!

I grew up playing the classics and I remember renting Spyro the Dragon from Blockbuster when it was released. I played it soooo much. I also played the other two titles when they came out, but, Spyro the Dragon OG is my absolute favorite Spyro game. It's definitely aged, but I have a whole lot of nostalgia for it. RR and YotD follow shortly after.

Edit: Thanks to the mod who moved this topic, I now just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:11:36 25/08/2014 by zer0dch
CommanderGame Emerald Sparx Gems: 3610
#2 Posted: 02:59:56 25/08/2014
sonic is the best one
#3 Posted: 03:01:06 25/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: CommanderGame
sonic is the best one

go make a sanic poll
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#4 Posted: 03:05:13 25/08/2014
ripto's rage, i'm not actually sure why i prefer it.... i guess because it added more new stuff to the first game and felt more like a "fish out of water" type deal with spyro being in avalar. they did it again with the forgotten realms but it was more effective to me with avalar. year of the dragon is still great but i just personally like ripto's rage more
#5 Posted: 03:09:19 25/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Big Green
ripto's rage, i'm not actually sure why i prefer it.... i guess because it added more new stuff to the first game and felt more like a "fish out of water" type deal with spyro being in avalar. they did it again with the forgotten realms but it was more effective to me with avalar. year of the dragon is still great but i just personally like ripto's rage more

Weirdly enough, my preference is Spyro 1 > 2 > 3. There is a LOT I like about Ripto's Rage, but it screams more of a collectathon than 3 to me, and it gets a little tedious. Maybe it's because I've gotten older.

Although, I haven't replayed 2 or 3 to completion since 2006? I've played them, but not to completion. More so 2 than 3.

I think before classes start in late September, I will replay the first three to 100%.

Edit: Just remembered YotD (3) has annoying friends missions...yeah, I will replay all three and come up with a final verdict.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:10:47 25/08/2014 by zer0dch
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#6 Posted: 03:48:30 25/08/2014
I always have a hard time deciding. I voted for YotD, but all three classic games (plus A Hero's Tail as well) are all on top. They all have their annoying challenges but they each have different aspects that make them hard to choose from when choosing a favorite.

RR has the great characters and superflame. Most of the levels and challenges are enjoyable.

YotD has some of my favorite challenges and levels from all of the games, though I don't like some of the challenges (especially the yeti boxing in Frozen Altars, always found that infuriating). Plus, you're collecting eggs that hatch. I've always liked playing with/hatching eggs. I don't know why.

StD has the best music imo and I really like almost all of the levels. I like freeing the dragons too as some have some pretty color schemes.

AHT has really smooth gameplay and controls. I like Spyro's different elements, the way he swims and runs, just generally playing as Spyro. I loathe the minigames though (especially Blink).

and with that, good night
---
but i love it all smooth
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#7 Posted: 16:32:16 25/08/2014
Spyro 1 and 2 are almost even for me, but Spyro 1 wins by a hair because I replay it more than almost any other game. :)
LocoGuy107 Ripto Gems: 390
#8 Posted: 17:50:03 25/08/2014
You forgot the portable ones.
MetallicDragon Red Sparx Gems: 47
#9 Posted: 18:20:20 25/08/2014
Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage. I remember the first being mind blowing when I first played it, and IMO the second one just improved everything. The third tried to improve things further, but kinda stumbled. So, I remember liking and playing the second one the most.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#10 Posted: 19:57:30 25/08/2014
Quote: LocoGuy107
You forgot the portable ones.

It says right in the title this is a topic about the console games. XD
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#11 Posted: 20:35:32 25/08/2014
I voted for 1 over 2 largely because I prefer how it's just pure platforming without minigames, and I think the collectables are hidden in smarter spots. It gets somewhat more repetitive because it's just platforming (aside from the flight stages), but it also means that it's a lot faster since you don't have to stop to play minigames. I also slightly prefer the story and I like how exposition is delivered by the dragons you rescue, so there are next to no cutscenes. They're pretty close, though, and depending on my mood I could play either and enjoy them about as much as the other.
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#12 Posted: 03:38:19 26/08/2014
StD and RR are really close, but I have to say RR. StD is very different from the rest of the Classic series, while RR defined it, and did it spectacularly. Although there are some levels in YotD I like, there are also some I really, really dislike; in RR there are none that I dislike, but some shine more than others. Also, there aren't many games that implement minigames so naturally into the main story as RR does. I like that it has a variety of things to do, rather than just platform or beat up badguys.

EtD... yeah, I can't say it's good compared to any other Spyro game. It's okay, but not a favorite.

AHT doesn't have the same nostalgia factor, plus a lot of the later game felt like moving around an overworld to get to minigames, rather than the main levels feeling like levels in themselves. Unlike the Insomniac games, where each level had a goal, the goal of this game was to move on to the next level. It wasn't as fun.

The Legend of Spyro aren't platformers, and I much prefer platformers. I like DotD a bit more than the other two because there is slightly more platforming and exploring, but it really pales in comparison to the Classics.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10163
#13 Posted: 15:04:10 26/08/2014
Well I might as well post something about Spyro for a change even though some certain level of ring rust has taken its respective place in my life about this subject. So I did cast my vote on this matter and I gave my vote for YotD and it was a tough decision since naming one’s own favourite Spyro game is as mighty task as naming one’s own favourite song or another difficult personal matter. Here is my main reasoning for my choice.

One of the main aspects why I chose YotD is that it does not left the player ultimate feeling of emptiness after finishing the game perfectly. It still has minigames on which one can always try to outperform oneself. These minigames include skateboarding in its track record and skate park record forms, speedway challenges, cat ice hockey (which was most infernal experience in the game) and yeti boxing (another personification of the devil itself). And I feel that other Spyro games lack of those extra things to do.

I am part of those people who actually liked the extra playable characters, their respective minigames and main levels. They brought some change to gameplay and the fantastic thing is that there are multiple varying characters one can control and help through their challenges. Of course it was not ground-breaking and epitome of gaming ecstasy but it was something new to the series and I kind of liked it.

I also enjoyed the fact that the levels actually got harder and harder. So there was difficulty progression that couldn’t be seen in previous instalments of Spyro franchise up to that date, at least this is what I think. I also like that YotD takes longer time to complete than Spyro the Dragon or GtG so it provides longer and more versatile playing experience. So there you are.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7699
#14 Posted: 15:28:27 26/08/2014
Spyro 2 because I grew up playing it and it's amazing
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#15 Posted: 01:02:41 27/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Damn, I am very impressed and excited to see the love for the original three games.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#16 Posted: 18:32:48 27/08/2014
Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer.

Mainly because this was the first one I played, and I have sentimental feelings towards it.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#17 Posted: 21:29:24 28/08/2014
out of the first three, I have to say YOTD, however, I've yet to buy the first one. yup, I haven't got the first game, I plan to get it before 2015 though, now all I need is the money, or perhaps just go to The Exchange, and well exchange some of my lesser liked games for it. Spyro for the win.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
#18 Posted: 22:08:05 28/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: theuone
out of the first three, I have to say YOTD, however, I've yet to buy the first one. yup, I haven't got the first game, I plan to get it before 2015 though, now all I need is the money, or perhaps just go to The Exchange, and well exchange some of my lesser liked games for it. Spyro for the win.

If you have a PS3, purchase it through PSN. It's emulates great unlike YotD.
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#19 Posted: 22:44:47 28/08/2014
I haven't even that level of money to buy a ps3, been stuck with the ps2.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#20 Posted: 01:06:40 29/08/2014
Ripto's Rage. I appreciate what Insomniac did to expand and diversify the gameplay by introducing challenges and minigames into the worlds. Spyro always controlled well in the minigames for me, contrast to YotD where a lot of the different play styles felt VERY awkward to control. I also believe that, in comparison to the first game, the control was fine-tuned to make Spyro handle much better. I love the hover ability and the completely unintentional double jump. I also think Spyro's ability to stop on a dime and turn around fare much better than in the original game. Not going to lie, I'm still EXTREMELY paranoid when I'm maneuvering Spyro across small platforms in Spyro 1. He just seemed to have ice physics to him.

The active camera also works a lot better in this game, even in tight spaces. I also liked that Spyro's moveset could be upgraded, even if the method you get the upgrades (Moneybags) bothers some people. It opened up new ways to explore the worlds and also happened to lead to some really fun glitches and nifty speedrunning tactics. And I found the various worlds of Avalar to be very fun to explore and have great atmosphere. It's true that YotD has a greater aesthetic diversity and better music to create a greater atmosphere. But there's always this sense of mysticism surrounding the worlds of Avalar, and I enjoy it a lot.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#21 Posted: 15:51:47 30/08/2014
Ripto's Rage, this was one of my first PSOne games and it was the very first game I beat >.<
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
#22 Posted: 01:09:15 31/08/2014
Spyro 2, personally.
#23 Posted: 01:30:35 01/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Who the hell voted The Eternal Night as number one?
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#24 Posted: 07:58:03 01/09/2014
I've always loved YOTD the best. I've just always preferred it's atmosphere, game-play, worlds, homeworlds, villains, etc. I also loved playing as new characters other than Spyro, and I actually enjoyed the speed ways in YOTD, while I hated them in every other game. I also thought YOTD was very challenging when I was little (SPIKE, FREAKING,SPIKE). I know GTG improved STD a lot, and YOTD hasn't really done that much to top GTG, but like I said, I just prefer YOTD's storyline, gameplay, atmosphere, characters, etc.

also bianca was an amazing character

My next favourite is STD.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#25 Posted: 19:16:32 01/09/2014
Quote: zer0dch

You just reminded me of how some of us complained the game as "hard." It's not harder than Dark Souls, but really...
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#26 Posted: 20:54:43 01/09/2014

Trevor Belmont. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#27 Posted: 23:34:49 01/09/2014
I can't really decide between the original trilogy, AHT, and TEN. I like all of them a whole lot. I actually quite like DotD too but I think I like TEN more.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#28 Posted: 02:23:21 02/09/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: LocoGuy107

You just reminded me of how some of us complained the game as "hard." It's not harder than Dark Souls, but really...

The game was incredibly easy, but I do remember the complaints when it came out! Back then, I laughed it off. I still do to this day. It's very easy (I played the GBA and PS2 version).
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#29 Posted: 07:35:21 02/09/2014
I went for Spyro 2, for no other reason than I think it has the most high points in the game and a very high level of consistent quality and uniqueness in each part of the game. Plus, nostalgia. :U
Wild Platinum Sparx Gems: 5045
#30 Posted: 04:48:22 03/09/2014
it's always really been ripto's rage to me but i appreciate the rest more or less
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#31 Posted: 13:27:58 03/09/2014
i now wish i voted for ETD
because it deserves more love than TEN and DOTD
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#32 Posted: 22:06:26 08/09/2014 | Topic Creator
i should really play through DotD again. game was meh but co op was a blast
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me