Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Disturbing Music in Non-Horror Games: It Has Risen
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Disturbing Music in Non-Horror Games: It Has Risen
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#51 Posted: 19:15:49 28/09/2015
Skull Woods, Link Between Worlds.

Quote: Doomslicer

The translation for the title is debated, but something like Garden of Distorted Thoughts
The best part? Before hearing it you'll first hear this super cheerful piece, the basic menu music, then you'll hear a roar and a childlike moaning and then you see what you're facing... a beast so horrifying it is memeticly believed to be created out of shipping itself

Ahhhh someone likes Bravely Default, to. ;w;
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#52 Posted: 05:19:19 29/09/2015 | Topic Creator
I really want to play Bravely Default. It looks great.

Anyway, Skull Woods? Ooh, a track I haven't heard yet!

*listens*

Oh my god. Wow. I need to pick up A Link Between Worlds and play it some more, so I can hear this in-game. This is something.

Since October is coming up, I'm hoping The Autarch is going to continue his Disturbing Video Game Music uploads to celebrate Halloween like he usually does. If he doesn't, I won't cry, but still.

Before I go, my contribution to society.

Sonic Adventure - Fakery Way

Six-year-old me doesn't hold fond memories of this. Neither does ten-year-old me.

Still creeps out present me, though not as much as it used to.

That baby's cry/laugh though...
ThunderBolt3811 Green Sparx Gems: 126
#53 Posted: 05:58:11 29/09/2015
The Oni Island Theme from Okami.

Gahhhhhh that song made my skin crawl when I was a kid. It doesn't bug me now, but back then? HECK NOPE
---
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Spellslamzer75 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1333
#54 Posted: 05:57:00 01/10/2015
The Grave Eclipse music from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. It's more disturbing if you've played the other two Golden Sun games, in my opinion.
---
Strength, courage, and evil
spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#55 Posted: 02:10:18 10/10/2015
Crash Twinsanity - Dingodile Boss Fight

Everything about this battle was Hellish... the music especially.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 02:13:14 10/10/2015 by spyrothe111
LunarDistortion Ripto Gems: 3606
#56 Posted: 19:43:56 14/10/2015
Tis the season.

Misty Menace - Donkey Kong Country

DKC as a series is very atmospheric and semi-realistic, but especially DKC1. The soundtrack in that game always set the mood for the level ahead, like with Aquatic Ambience, Fear Factory, and Northern Hemisphere. This one specifically gives a creepy vibe to the already eerie Stop and Go Station level featuring a dark mine lit only by the alternating red and green lanterns hanging from the ceiling while super fast Kremlings with red eyes attack while they're camouflaged in the red light.
Sudloo Emerald Sparx Gems: 3574
#57 Posted: 20:34:57 14/10/2015

ayyyy
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#58 Posted: 20:35:50 14/10/2015
Huuuge spoilers for Neutral path on Undertale,and possibly any of the better paths to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxC3ILPiz98

Do I even need to start describing what's so horribly uncanny about the song? It's easy to put G Major on a track,but the whole thing sounds pieced together and changes mood constantly, and it pretty much describes what's up with your foe more than any dialogue could.

EDIT: Sudloo you managed to ninja me in SECONDS apart, I'm impressed.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:36:32 14/10/2015 by Bifrost
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#59 Posted: 20:54:41 14/10/2015

Still one of the best "final level" themes ever (and final levels in general).

It's disturbing because it's relaxing and serene, yet ominous and creepy, like the darkness is creeping behind you. It's also a variation of the song for the tutorial section, which is kind of weird and unsettling. Like it all ends where it begins.

Also, in interviews, Tetsuya Nomura has stated that Destati and all of it's variations (this track is one of them) are apparently haunted. Every time they record a new version, the power in the building goes out.

Also the song just feels empty. Like it makes you feel all empty and zombie-fied if you listen to it for too long.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:59:46 14/10/2015 by sonicbrawler182
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#60 Posted: 22:01:21 14/10/2015

Surprised no one said this yes.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#61 Posted: 00:14:49 16/10/2015
Can't believe there isn't one Darkest Dungeon track here. I've heard the devs are pretty shady or something along those lines,but damn you can't deny the game makes you REALLY feel like you're in a Cthullu Mythos setting. I don't think it classifies as horror mainly so it might count, though most of the game is made to scare/disgust/unnerve you to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzozKEl_r7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMfdsYa3EnM

There are probably way scarier songs in the later released maps but the soundtrack doesn't seem to have them yet, and since the game's getting out of Early Acess in January, I don't feel like waiting.
---
#62 Posted: 02:19:45 16/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: LunarDistortion
Tis the season.

Misty Menace - Donkey Kong Country

DKC as a series is very atmospheric and semi-realistic, but especially DKC1. The soundtrack in that game always set the mood for the level ahead, like with Aquatic Ambience, Fear Factory, and Northern Hemisphere. This one specifically gives a creepy vibe to the already eerie Stop and Go Station level featuring a dark mine lit only by the alternating red and green lanterns hanging from the ceiling while super fast Kremlings with red eyes attack while they're camouflaged in the red light.

I once had Misty Menace stuck in my head one night.

Needless to say, getting to sleep was...difficult.
#63 Posted: 04:15:43 16/10/2015
Three more for you guys...

Ripple Star Catacombs - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Not something you'd expect to find in a Kirby game, but then again, neither is this.

Forest of Fear - Wario Land 3

This one is incredibly simple, but I think that just makes it worse. The long pauses between the high pitched notes just adds to a lot of tension and uneasiness.

Northern Hemisphere - Donkey Kong Country

I talked about this song's ambient nature earlier, and while Northern Hemisphere isn't the scariest, it still feels a little bit uneasy. I personally like the DKC Returns remix Tidal Terror more as a song, but it isn't as foreboding, so Northern Hemisphere gets the mention instead.
KnightArtorias Emerald Sparx Gems: 3354
#64 Posted: 10:08:40 16/10/2015
Parasites from MGS5
---
"Caim? Caim...the one who calls to me...I cannot see. Where are you?"
~Angelus (Drakengard 2)
(Angelus x Caim OTP)
#65 Posted: 21:55:24 31/10/2015
Because there isn't enough Undertale here,

Toby Fox proving that even a cool song slowed down can be horrifying in the right context.

Spoiler warning as usual for the violence path.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:56:11 31/10/2015 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#66 Posted: 06:26:33 01/11/2015
Don't forget of the Bandicoot:

Unexpected for this game.
---
Bruh
spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#67 Posted: 01:50:07 10/11/2015
Bowser's Dream - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

No words...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:42:43 19/11/2015 by spyrothe111
#68 Posted: 06:30:02 24/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Pretty sure this isn't a horror game... In the same way that Metroid isn't, I suppose.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Otherwordly Dissonance

One night this track was stuck in my head and wouldn't go away. Wasn't fun.
#69 Posted: 04:20:47 12/05/2016 | Topic Creator
In (late) celebration of the HD remake of Twilight Princess, I summon this topic and give thee...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Arbiter's Grounds

That 'growling' sound gets me every time.
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#70 Posted: 06:16:55 12/05/2016
Quote: IsisStormDragon
In (late) celebration of the HD remake of Twilight Princess, I summon this topic and give thee...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Arbiter's Grounds

That 'growling' sound gets me every time.

"Why is Link moving really slowly? Why is Midna freaking out? What's that squeaking sound?" *Switches on scent vision, controller suddenly goes flying across the room*
dinorang67 Gold Sparx Gems: 2409
#71 Posted: 00:43:51 14/05/2016

there's something so creepily unfitting about this, especially for a star fox game. all the minor keys and random laughs really undermine the whole "circus" thing and make it sound so weirdly disturbing.
especially in the level's context.
i hate out of this dimension.
it could seriously give me nightmares if it tried.

sidenote: my avatar goes extremely well with this post.
---
and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out a
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#72 Posted: 12:52:04 14/05/2016
I forgot this music existed until I watched Chuggaaconroy's Platinum lets play.
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#73 Posted: 13:14:56 14/05/2016
Download SimCity4 from le Good Old Games. Launch the game and after the cutscene, immediately hear this...

Game didn't stay open for very long, because I didn't want Maxis Man to come out of the screen and kill me.
#74 Posted: 17:38:06 14/05/2016
Quote: QueenChrysalis
Download SimCity4 from le Good Old Games. Launch the game and after the cutscene, immediately hear this...

Game didn't stay open for very long, because I didn't want Maxis Man to come out of the screen and kill me.

oh my god what the hell is this i thought simcity was just a game about killing people with giant robots-
---
and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out and the lights go out a
LameLime Yellow Sparx Gems: 1200
#75 Posted: 22:37:48 18/05/2016
Don't remember if I posted about this track before. But my god, this is the most horrifying music in any non-horror game I have played. Mostly the first half. It plays in the penultimate level; a dog pound which is secretly a dog slaughterhouse. This game's all bright before the ending sequence, which is so cruel. Reminds me of Eversion.

---
NOSTALGA-LANDERS COLLECTION (Spyro's Adventure)
30/32 Skylanders -- 4/4 Levels -- 8/9 Items (Includes VV)
Missing: smilie smilie + Ghost Swords
#76 Posted: 02:39:44 19/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Quality tracks everyone.

Speaking of Shadow of the Colossus...

Black Blood is pretty creepy, too.

Dang, I really need to play this game sooner rather than later. It looks amazing and its soundtrack is top notch.
#77 Posted: 04:29:19 10/06/2016
Oh jeez, I think Drought from Pokemon Ruby/Emerald was probably posted already but I just found it's successor. Omega Ruby's cover is back with a vengeance.
#78 Posted: 04:04:37 11/06/2016
Oh jeez, I think Drought from Pokemon Ruby/Emerald was probably posted already but I just found it's successor. Omega Ruby's cover is back with a vengeance.

nO
NO
I CLICKED ON IT TO SEE WHAT IT WAS
MY VOLUME WAS TURNED UP
SUDDENLY
LAVENDER TOWN FLASHBACKS
---
#79 Posted: 06:38:27 02/10/2016
The most wonderful time of the year ~

Try this one on for size.

This is the Clock Tower boss theme from Epic Mickey. It plays during the fight against the iconic, gigantic, and now living/insane Clock Tower from It's a Small World. The game is pretty dark compared to anything else Disney has done with their pretty squeaky clean brand. If you don't know anything about it, the game is about Mickey being sucked into a world of ideas, characters, movies, and more that the Disney company has made and since forgotten about. The world is in pieces, left to rot. Mickey has a choice of trying to save this world or destroying everything and everyone with paint thinner. It can get pretty dark.

This big guy is only the first boss of the game, but they didn't avoid pulling all the stops to make it as disturbing as possible. A creepy circus orchestra version of It's a Small World, occasionally joined by an equally creepy children's choir is something you'd probably expect out of a cynical fan project more than an official Disney-approved Mickey Mouse game.
Kat-Kun Green Sparx Gems: 415
#80 Posted: 07:45:12 02/10/2016
Pfft, that one's easy!

Chara's theme when she is about to let you erase the universe.
---
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the waaaaaay!
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#81 Posted: 20:31:07 02/10/2016
The most wonderful time of the year ~

Try this one on for size.

This is the Clock Tower boss theme from Epic Mickey. It plays during the fight against the iconic, gigantic, and now living/insane Clock Tower from It's a Small World. The game is pretty dark compared to anything else Disney has done with their pretty squeaky clean brand. If you don't know anything about it, the game is about Mickey being sucked into a world of ideas, characters, movies, and more that the Disney company has made and since forgotten about. The world is in pieces, left to rot. Mickey has a choice of trying to save this world or destroying everything and everyone with paint thinner. It can get pretty dark.

This big guy is only the first boss of the game, but they didn't avoid pulling all the stops to make it as disturbing as possible. A creepy circus orchestra version of It's a Small World, occasionally joined by an equally creepy children's choir is something you'd probably expect out of a cynical fan project more than an official Disney-approved Mickey Mouse game.

______

I officially <3 you right now.

This game left such an impact upon my life, the boss fights, the story and characters were awesome and with just a little bit more polish, this game that is already awesome would be legend. As for this one in particular, oh my god once the music kicked in and his face freakin melted.... I knew,

But after putting the controls down when I completed this game 100% all pins, I wanted to know about the other forgotten Toons not owned by Disney but by Warner Bros., Fleischer Studios, Van Beuren cartoons... I've watched a lot of old school cartoons. But I only know them in their respective cartoons, not in a game like Epic Mickey, and I understand that Disney can't make a game about cartoons they haven't created, but it's kinda sad to see other cartoon characters are truly forgotten.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:31:41 02/10/2016 by Bryman04
#82 Posted: 22:59:20 02/10/2016 | Topic Creator
Thank you all for reviving this topic <3

I'm busy right now so I can't share any songs, but I'll be back later to do so!
#83 Posted: 01:39:57 03/10/2016
^This topic is like a darkSpyro Halloween tradition at this point, don't worry about it !
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#84 Posted: 17:05:24 06/10/2016
The pre-console version of Slippery Climb.
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#85 Posted: 16:30:08 19/10/2016
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: In the future of Darkness
---
Soon.
#86 Posted: 03:29:26 29/10/2016 | Topic Creator
I forgot to post.

Don't worry, I've got plenty of stuff to link! But I'll spread it out over multiple posts...

I've posted this before, but I've finally found an actual YouTube link this time, so here's this classic once again.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - Haunted House Ambience

I find this theme really hard to listen to. Even divorced from its context, it still sends chills down my spine.

Next few posts will probably be XCOM themes. They aren't officially classified as horror, so they still fit this topic.

Also, I've been thinking of a type of... counterpart to this topic. Soothing/Beautiful themes from horror games or just really creepy games in general (so I can get away with posting pretty themes from Metroid games, of course /shot). Would anyone be interested?
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6323
#87 Posted: 16:11:49 29/10/2016

scary ass.
#88 Posted: 02:09:15 20/06/2017 | Topic Creator
I'm resurrecting this thread before time can claim it because I can never let it die, apparently.

But I bring several spooky themes! From games I haven't played, but oh well.

Jurassic Park 2 (SNES) - Lethal Gas

This honestly one of my favorite spooky themes, and it's absolutely perfect for the level it plays in (I watched a playthrough of this game out of curiosity). This theme just oozes dread and isolation and I love it.

Glover - Overworld With No Crystals

Can't seem to find an upload that isn't so quiet, but ah well. This track, to me, is a classic spooky theme (I mean, it's a N64 theme, so kinda goes without saying...). It's a type of spooky theme I'd like to see more often.

And now for a game I have played (and should really finish one of these days).

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - The Garage

So this is basically the theme to my garage. Actually not sure if anyone posted this, but a few reposts won't hurt anyone.

And because I mentioned XCOM last time...

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Combat Ambience 1 (if there's an official name for this, I don't remember)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is similar to Metroid in that it's technically not a horror game, but damn does it get really freaking creepy sometimes. The combat ambience is always an experience. You know the aliens are out there, but you don't know where, or how many, or what they are.

To say nothing of the stuff you find on some missions... Bodies wrapped up in some green substance, the corpses of animals (if you're in a farm or wilderness area), among other things.

And the less said about Terror Missions, the better...
Emperor_Mustard Blue Sparx Gems: 628
#89 Posted: 18:57:25 20/06/2017
Quote: QueenChrysalis

This reminds me of http://fallingfalling.com/
---
And this battle shall be the delicious mustard on that bread! The mustard of your doom!
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#90 Posted: 20:00:28 20/06/2017
Well, first I wanna talk about OsTown (Dark) from Epic Mickey. The Neutral version is just sad, but this one has some timing and instrument choice to give that creepy feeling.

The Spectral Vale (Part 2 - Explore) from Pac-Man World 3 follows a similar style, but using long brakes to leave you a bit unprepared to what's next. I like it.
---
Bruh
BlueThunderfan Blue Sparx Gems: 926
#91 Posted: 21:07:49 23/06/2017

Ahh, R-Type. How you disturb me so, and yet I keep coming back to play you... xD
---
Sleeping is Dumb!
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#92 Posted: 14:50:11 24/06/2017
can't post a video because mobile device, but the distortion world from pokemon platinum shouldn't go unnoticed.
---
now its time to get funky
#93 Posted: 23:35:14 10/07/2017 | Topic Creator
^The beginning of Distortion World always gives me goosebumps. Very good track.

Anyhow..

Metroid - Tourian

Much as I do enjoy playing the game from time to time, I would not say that the original NES Metroid has aged well. It... really hasn't.

Its atmospheric soundtrack, however, still holds up today and this is one example of that.

Metroid: Zero Mission - Tourian

The remake's version of Tourian is also suitably ominous. Perhaps I'm a bit biased, though, as Zero Mission is one of my favorite 2D Metroid titles.
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#94 Posted: 23:37:10 10/07/2017
Simple

Sonic's drowining theme
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Emperor_Mustard Blue Sparx Gems: 628
#95 Posted: 23:40:37 13/07/2017
Certainly.
---
And this battle shall be the delicious mustard on that bread! The mustard of your doom!
#96 Posted: 01:50:36 14/07/2017 | Topic Creator
//slides in

Okami - The Curse

This is the type of theme that makes me think going the opposite direction would be a good idea.

I started playing the game recently, but I haven't gotten very far yet. So far, though, I'm liking its art style, music, and atmosphere.
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me