Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Trap Team Speculation [CLOSED]
DM235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1678
#1 Posted: 21:45:45 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
In Lost Islands, we have Giants characters, with a companion that gives them a bonus (Gigantus), and Gold Treasure chests that only Giants can open.

We have SwapForce characters, with a companion that gives them a bonus (Gorm and Tuk), and Sugar Bats that only SwapForce can defeat.

I think it is fairly safe to speculate that they will add the Trap Masters, with a companion that gives them a bonus, and either villains or crystals to defeat, sometime in October after Trap Team launches.

Personally, I think it would be much more interesting if they had villains show up (just like the chompy pods), and if you defeat them with the matching elemental Trap Master, you would get a gem bonus.

I could also see them adding a Traptanium Prison as a new community building.

I don't think they would go as far as introducing a new portal (for example, to accept traps). I am fairly certain the portal that comes with the Battlegrounds kit would be compatible with Trap Master characters.

Thoughts?
Kalamath Blue Sparx Gems: 561
#2 Posted: 22:09:03 29/07/2014
Greebles perhaps? There's a Greeble Island afterall.
---
Activate family - Kalamath, Petra-Kate, Pinjindir (retired)
FuryBeam136 Gold Sparx Gems: 2203
#3 Posted: 22:53:22 29/07/2014
I agree that they might add the Trap Masters.
---
28 STAB WOUNDS!
Why am I a loser
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#4 Posted: 23:05:55 29/07/2014
Of course they will add in Trap Masters to toy link . smilie All Skylander games are one mega publicity tool .

Lost Islands keeps our attention and addictions . Unlike the DS and consoles it is on going and ever evolving .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
jbkaok Blue Sparx Gems: 635
#5 Posted: 15:56:11 30/07/2014
I will admit that I have gotten more Skylander variants to put them in Lost Islands. I like the idea of villains that need capturing by Trap Masters. Would be more interesting than sugar bats...
---
A sword of storms! smilie smilie
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#6 Posted: 16:29:07 30/07/2014
I have a feeling it will simply be a new enemy that requires a Trap Master will give a gem if you use one of the right element, ala Sugar Bats. And of course there will be a Trap Building sold for gems. Probably a kingdom level increase to 50. I don't think character max level will go up, the 14-15 slog is already too long and 15-16 (and higher would be even longer, especially when done 150+ times) not to mention leveling tends to reward gems, and they seem to be trying to limit gem income for higher level players somewhat.

The main problem is adding to the high end game means making things pretty much unreachable until you max out, thereby turning off lower level players (likely the majority of players) because the carrot is too distant. Adding to the low end is basically giving it to higher level players "for free". It's very hard to add things when the level/progress spread between players is too vast.
arkhamhorrorfan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1581
#7 Posted: 19:03:49 30/07/2014
I agree there is a huge difference between lower level players and higher level players. But would new players really be turned off by distant goals? It's a civilization building game - isn't it more exciting to feel like it's limitless?

To my mind, they're doing a very good job of trying to accommodate the wide range. The Sanctum missions are equal for everyone - the 'hardest' part is collecting from Orville, and no one can speed that up. The Toy Link Towers pay for themselves instantly and are cheep enough that even lower level players can afford. Then they come out with things like the aquarium or Rufus, that cause the lower level players to shrug and ignore, and the higher level players to keep interest.

I remember when Ol' Mac came out, I laughed. Imagine spending 3500 gems on a single companion! Ridiculous!

But, if they have to choose, newer players are more important for the game. As a general rule, it is lower level players who will spend real money on the game. Higher level players are good to keep around, because we talk about the game and get others into it, but I'd be surprised if there are any high level players still putting money into it. (Beyond buying physical figures, which I consider to be separate).
kaferserene Green Sparx Gems: 357
#8 Posted: 19:28:19 30/07/2014
Quote:
The Sanctum missions are equal for everyone - the 'hardest' part is collecting from Orville, and no one can speed that up.

True to a point. For low level kingdoms, it can be impossible if you haven't already unlocked the island of the proper element and/or have 0-1 skylanders of that element. Additionally, there is a minimum level for this quest, somewhere around 15. I missed the life sanctum, because the quest started for me halfway through when I reached the right level. There was no way to collect from Orville 15 times in 8 days. Plus, I had 1 life skylander and no life island. It is a great quest for mid to high levels.

In general, I agree that they do a great job of accommodating varied player levels. And from their perspective, showing that distant carrot is a good way to get new players to shell out cash for gems. My first holiday in the Skylands, I shelled out for Diggs, fearful that I'd never have the chance again (hahaha, silly me!). I couldn't use him for over a month, but I love having him now.

I should note that I don't mind paying a little for a game I enjoy: game developers have to eat, too.
SkylandersFan27 Blue Sparx Gems: 508
#9 Posted: 21:49:59 30/07/2014
Quote: kaferserene
Quote:
The Sanctum missions are equal for everyone - the 'hardest' part is collecting from Orville, and no one can speed that up.

True to a point. For low level kingdoms, it can be impossible if you haven't already unlocked the island of the proper element and/or have 0-1 skylanders of that element. Additionally, there is a minimum level for this quest, somewhere around 15. I missed the life sanctum, because the quest started for me halfway through when I reached the right level. There was no way to collect from Orville 15 times in 8 days. Plus, I had 1 life skylander and no life island. It is a great quest for mid to high levels.

In general, I agree that they do a great job of accommodating varied player levels. And from their perspective, showing that distant carrot is a good way to get new players to shell out cash for gems. My first holiday in the Skylands, I shelled out for Diggs, fearful that I'd never have the chance again (hahaha, silly me!). I couldn't use him for over a month, but I love having him now.

I should note that I don't mind paying a little for a game I enjoy: game developers have to eat, too.

I always complete the stress quest by TTing.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#10 Posted: 22:15:36 30/07/2014
I don't mind paying for a game, but I did that when I bought all the figures I have linked in it. The gem prices are ridiculous, you would have to spend around $50 to get one of the "premium" companions unless there is a sale. The 120+ Skylanders I have linked should more than pay for the developers to eat. They obviously agree as they have been adding bonuses for linking and Toy Link Towers.

I think the Sanctum quests are a good example of how to blend the low and high levels. Yes, you have to reach 15 and open islands, but those don't appear to be an insurmountable goals when you start, and if you don't do them it isn't a huge loss (and buying them isn't too expensive at higher levels if you miss them). The problem lies in quests that you either have to shell out serious money to participate or be level 40+ to have a shot at doing. Compelling content is something you can either do or see yourself doing in the near future. The carrot has to be close enough to see and smell, but not so close you can get it too quickly.
bytebandit01 Blue Sparx Gems: 645
#11 Posted: 12:04:48 31/07/2014
LI just did a downloading content.. It took about 5 minutes.. I wonder what could that be all about?
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#12 Posted: 23:36:48 31/07/2014
Quote:
I have a feeling it will simply be a new enemy that requires a Trap Master will give a gem if you use one of the right element, ala Sugar Bats.

Who says it has to be an enemy ? The primary task of the giants is to open gold chests .

Quote:
The gem prices are ridiculous, you would have to spend around $50 to get one of the "premium" companions

I disagree . I have played quite a few fremium games and noted Lost Islands has by far the cheapest prices for gems not to mention the ease of collecting gems ingame . Premium Companions are not impossible collect if you choose not to use real money for fake gems . I have Tessa running around my kingdom and now i am saving up for Rufus .

I support the game by buying toys.
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:41:09 31/07/2014 by Dark fhoenix
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#13 Posted: 10:48:18 02/08/2014
Quote: Dark fhoenix
I support the game by buying toys.

That would give me an excuse to buy Blades and High Five even though I'm not buying Trap Team.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me