darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > When did you start being a Skylanders fan?
Page 1 of 1
When did you start being a Skylanders fan? [CLOSED]
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 07:30:45 28/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I can't exactly remember when but I was first a fan in 2011 and I don't remember why I wanted the game but I got the game for Christmas. I also don't remember why Wrecking Ball is my favourite but I know he was my favourite since January 15th 2012 at the most.
---
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1880
#2 Posted: 09:27:29 28/07/2014
Before SSA came out. I found out about it when I was playing binweevils(which I hate now) and I got the game on my 8th birthday 27th of november 2011
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#3 Posted: 12:48:49 28/07/2014
I started playing Skylanders during SA on PC. I saw the game on commercial and was intrigued. Bought the game the first day it game out and a few characters. I am a huge collector of action figures, so I just naturally enjoyed it. I love that my figures can come to life in Skylanders. They actually do something other then sitting there looking pretty at a conversational piece. I missed Giants completely. Picked up a few months after Swap Force came out. Now I am hooked again and want ALL of Trap Team. I need another job.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#4 Posted: 13:34:12 28/07/2014
October 2013 . I saw them for quite sometime but i am a closed minded person . Nice thing about being a late fan is well.... lotSSA discounts out there .
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#5 Posted: 13:38:47 28/07/2014
I was really sceptical all the way up til the release of the original game. Then, a few days before the release date, I randomly decided to watch a video of the first level... and I just really liked what I saw. Picked up the Wii and 3DS versions, and... well, now I've got a complete collection of all figurines for Spyro's Adventure, Giants and Swap Force (excluding chase variants - I'm not that crazy/addicted.). :)
Rickorio Gold Sparx Gems: 2463
#6 Posted: 15:22:40 30/07/2014
Well, I had absolutely no idea it existed, besides for the few commercials, which I pretty much ignored, so it was pure luck that my best friend (at the time) had bought it, and really liked. Him and one of our other friends would talk about it all the time (he would go to my best friend's house a lot), and I had been saving up for a 3DS. Though, since I didn't have enough money for the 3DS, and my friend said it was terrible, I bought Skylanders. Much better choice.
---
#hu
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#7 Posted: 16:46:24 30/07/2014
I saw it at Toys R Us, said I wanted it and my dad got it for me for christmas.
megaman312 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1019
#8 Posted: 19:00:47 30/07/2014
Sadly after ghost roaster became near impossible to get for me
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#9 Posted: 19:48:31 30/07/2014
I remember seeing commercials of it in 2011 ( I was 10) and thought it looked amazing. I NEEDED TO GET THAT GAME. After a while, I went to my friends house, on his birthday, and he got it. We played it for hours, and everytime I went to his house, thats the first thing I would do. He had like 28 out of the 32 original. I actually found out about skylanders a little late, and didn't get SSA. But I probably played for hours at other peoples houses, and have played all the adventure Packs for SSA. I told my parents about the game, and lo and behold, that Christmas Skylanders Giants was under our Christmas tree. I didn't even waste time opening other presents and went straight to my room and played it. My parents really had no idea what Skylanders WERE, or the big investment in buying them they were getting into. The next Christmas I got SSF along with Rattle Shake and Knockout Terrafin. I can't wait for STT! But Yeah I remember back in 2011 the commercials made the game look SO AMAZING and pretty much the best game ever. That, and the fact that every store has Skylanders spread throughout the store, and even if you don't have skylanders, your forced to look at them in all their overly expensive plastic glory. I feel awkward walking into the store being like 5'11 and everyone else is like 5 or 9 years old with their parents looking at skylanders. Oh well, once I got dragged into this franchise, theres no going back.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:50:27 30/07/2014 by Badwolfmichael
DM235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1678
#10 Posted: 20:39:45 30/07/2014
Whenever we would be shopping at Walmart, my daughter would always want to drop by the SSA display and watch all of the cool videos.

I resisted as long as I could, but I finally broke down early in 2013. We started with Giants, then SSA, and we just got Swap Force.
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#11 Posted: 22:42:16 30/07/2014
When did I decide to get Skylanders?
The day this image was released. I remember my first thought was "...I'm going to have to get used to this." I remembered when I first saw a picture of TLOS Spyro, and thought he was ugly, so I knew that I would eventually get used to the appearance.

I remember all the pre-SSA hype, and hate. There were two very distinct factions: those who hated it with a passion, despite not seeing any gameplay, (it was mostly TLOS fans; most Classic fans had left long ago) and those who were willing to give it a chance. I was with the second party, although it was much smaller than the first. I didn't have an account on any Spyro-based forum at the time, though, so I didn't contribute to the arguing.

I was mostly optimistic about it because it wasn't TLOS. I really, really didn't like that series. WAY too combat centric. And TFB said in interviews that they looked at the past Spyro games for inspiration; quite the opposite of what TLOS did. I remember reading that the people who worked on that series were actually advised not to play the Classic Spyro games, since Sierra (or whoever was in charge) wanted to make something completely different. And besides, they brought back the SHEEP!

When did I truly start enjoying the games?
I mean, I enjoyed SSA when I first played it, but only as something different. It wasn't something that I enjoyed all that much. (Despite this, I bought a whole ton of toys. Most of that was that I liked the figures, though.)

But I only really started to like Skylanders, and consider myself a Skylanders fan, a month or two ago when I bought Swap Force. It felt exactly like the kind of game I had been looking for at the time. Sure, it was a bit on the easy side, but there was enough platforming that I was very happy. And VV even made a few block puzzles that weren't "push the block until you can't anymore." I've already gushed about what I like about the game, so I won't here, but yeah. I like Swap Force a lot. It is why I consider myself a Skylanders fan.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Umbreon36 Blue Sparx Gems: 537
#12 Posted: 07:10:01 01/08/2014
I discovered about Skylanders about a few months after the first game, Skylanders Spyro's Adventure came out, I would say February of 2012, to be more precise. I was randomly looking for games back then and then I saw this game and I was quite interested about the idea of figurines which come to life with the portal and also, well the Skylanders displayed were quite appealing, plus I kinda like toys myself so I was like... why not?

Appealing characters, appealing worlds, musics and game mechanics, it's definitely something interesting to me and it's quite a huge passion I have since then and I do not regret to have played those games so far as well as expanding my Skylanders collection (I think I have a bit over 70 right now though I mostly aim for my favorites.)
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#13 Posted: 08:27:55 01/08/2014
i got the first game in January 2012 and loved it..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
AzarianGO Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#14 Posted: 01:13:07 04/08/2014
I got the Wii-U console + Swap Force bundle during December, as it was the cheapest Wii-U bundled with something. I didn't intend on taking Skylanders seriously when I bought it, but then I played it and fell in love with the concept. Nearly a year later, I'm sitting on 108 figures and 100% in all the console and 3ds versions. So to answer your question, December 2013.
---
228 figures, 26 traps, 24 magic items, 480 games, 19 consoles.... I have a habit.
Yuckaiju Green Sparx Gems: 122
#15 Posted: 12:46:31 17/08/2014
A friend of a friend brought some over to my buddy's place when we were playing Wii one day and I pretty much instantly wanted all of them ever.
Sboy13 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3165
#16 Posted: 13:37:22 17/08/2014
It started I think in the beginning of 2012, when I started seeing commercials for the game on TV. I thought it looked interesting with its concept of using physical toys. I later went to Toys R Us, and in the video game section I saw a display of the game and got to see what it it was all about. My parents found out about it too. In June 2012, on my birthday, I received the starter pack, played it and was instantly hooked. I later got Giants in early 2013, and then Swap Force in December '13, which is when I really started to become immersed in the game, because I absolutely loved Swap Force. I now have a collection of over 40 characters smilie
---
Purple dragon.
MetallicDragon Red Sparx Gems: 47
#17 Posted: 21:38:54 20/08/2014
About 3 weeks ago, haha. I used to be a Spyro PS1 purist. I didn't like the ones on the PS2 gen, or the Legend of Spyro series, so when Skylanders came out and I just thought "Activision is just trying to milk it out with a soulless game." Then I thought how fun it would be to collect and play with the figurines, so I looked up gameplay and it actually looked fun. Bought a copy that was on sale, and had a blast. I've sinced warmed up to Legend of Spyro as well, it had some nice moments, but not my favorite. I know, I'm really late to the Skylanders party because I was so stubborn for so long smilie
#18 Posted: 23:27:02 20/08/2014
Wow . Welcome new Portal Master . Its never too late to play skylanders .

Consider that you can enjoy lots and lots of discounts now that the fires have settled a little and Trap Team is on the move . If you joined the hype earlier you would be paying full price and that hurts .
---
MetallicDragon Red Sparx Gems: 47
#19 Posted: 02:15:33 21/08/2014
Quote: Dark fhoenix
Wow . Welcome new Portal Master . Its never too late to play skylanders .

Consider that you can enjoy lots and lots of discounts now that the fires have settled a little and Trap Team is on the move . If you joined the hype earlier you would be paying full price and that hurts .

smilie Thank you!

Oooh, and good point. I'll have to keep my eyes open then. It's very difficult to resist the temptation to run out and buy all the cool ones I see. Hehe.
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#20 Posted: 15:23:33 22/08/2014
I've been a fan since the beginning.

I saw all the characters thought they were really imaginative

Ghost Roaster will always be my fave character though, despite the fact he gets over looked all the time.

I loved the concept with Swap Force, the combinations were great and it was nice to see how they all worked together.
---
^ You all know it's true
jbkaok Blue Sparx Gems: 635
#21 Posted: 16:14:15 22/08/2014
Got SWAP Force Starter for my kids for Christmas along with Boom Jet. Oh, if I only knew how things would go from there. Now I have SSA, Giants, and 174/174 characters (and one Frito Lay Hot Dog on the way!) .

Well, technically the kids own 5 of the characters, because one got Nitro Freeze Blade for his birthday. And by Nitro Freeze Blade I mean he got Night Shift, which we already had, and I swapped him on release day (pun intended) for Nitro smilie
---
A sword of storms! smilie smilie
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#22 Posted: 02:11:03 23/08/2014
Since Giants came out.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#23 Posted: 03:01:44 23/08/2014
Although I bought my family all of the SSA skylanders, I was distanced from the game until Giants. Then I got sucked in.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5537
#24 Posted: 00:06:59 27/08/2014
I first found out about it when my cousin got it. She was really obsessed with Spyro and was happy that a new game was coming out. I played it every time I was at their house and later got it for my birthday.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
Charlio Green Sparx Gems: 240
#25 Posted: 00:03:17 15/09/2014
I wasn't interested until Swap Force came out and looked good, but I still wasn't interested enough to spend the money on it. A few weeks ago I was looking for some nice figures for my game shelves and thought I'd go look for some TOMY Pokemon figures. Turns out they're real expensive and I was going, "Skylanders are cheaper than this."

Ended up buying a handful of my favourite 'Lander figures just for the shelf, but then I made the mistake of looking up what they looked like in game. They were too adorable.

Now I'm playing through all the games and am loving them. Also have waaaay too many Skylanders, my poor wallet. smilie
---
I'm making Skylander avatars, free for use: http://sta.sh/2z3bpmz23of
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#26 Posted: 00:54:41 15/09/2014
Once I saw Teal Game Master's Play Through videos of the first game shortly after release. Ironically I only heard about the game 2 days before it was being released. I got it on launch day but didn't have much time to play because of work and other real life crap. I was able to watch Teal's videos though and was hooked.
PearlHex Green Sparx Gems: 345
#27 Posted: 03:31:43 17/09/2014
A few months after the first game came out. My friend got me the 3DS version which I really enjoyed. Shortly after that I got the PS3 game and the rest is history smilie
---
"Fear the Dark"
myvolition Gold Sparx Gems: 2853
#28 Posted: 03:53:08 17/09/2014
read about a sale at TRU on cheapassgamer.com where SSA starter pack got a $25 gift card and an adventure pack or something along those lines, the game wasn't popular yet and seemed like TRU was trying to clear inventory, but some people on CAG suggested it as a game that was good to play with the girlfriend...nostalgia and OCD kicked in and yah....every figure minus the chase ones.....made a $500 contribution to my Roth IRA before DI2 and trap team comes out to protect my spare cash.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#29 Posted: 05:06:32 17/09/2014
Well I'll try to keep my back story short. I first saw the trailer and thought that it looked interesting, but wasn't sure at the moment. Then, I saw some figures in store and characters likesmilie, smilie and smilie caught my eyes and I started to think these would be fun to collect. I never thought at the very beginning these would become so popular and as soon as I heard they were becoming hard to find, I got caught in the thrill of the hunt and went after everyone of them. I started with smilie and smilie after school and now I love the games. This franchise believe it or not, is the only franchise I ever liked that made me friends let alone as many as I have. Considering I was a fan of other franchises like Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Transformers, Yugioh, Gundam, Disney, DC shows, the original Spyro games, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Pacman, Donkey Kong, and so on, that's a pretty big deal to me that this is the franchise that finally makes me friends while liking the games.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3860
#30 Posted: 00:55:20 19/09/2014
2013 sadlysmilie
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#31 Posted: 02:40:10 19/09/2014
Around May 2012, so Giants was already announced, but not out yet. I didn't even know about Giants before my gf got the game and got me into it.
#32 Posted: 10:29:05 19/09/2014
Quote:
2013 sadly

Why is that ? Lot and lots of clearance sale options .
---
MissBarghest Green Sparx Gems: 333
#33 Posted: 15:04:23 18/10/2014
At first, my reaction to Skylanders was very negative because I didn't like the way Spyro was re-designed, being a massive original Spyro fan during my childhood. I changed my mind once I actually played the game in a display stand in Tesco. From then on I became a huge fan and I've been so since the release of the first game.
lidocain Yellow Sparx Gems: 1087
#34 Posted: 17:48:41 18/10/2014
Just before Giants came out, but I started playing SSA first and fell in love with the Skylanders immediately.
---
" ... and then maybe I'd run out of things to complain about! Altough probably not. "- G.

××× Made in Hungary ×××
Wally-Gang Gold Sparx Gems: 2987
#35 Posted: 23:38:08 21/10/2014
Shortly after Christmas, 2011. When Santa delivered SA to "my kids" for Christmas. It has been all downhill since.
---
"Come rang or shine"
Still troubled by him speaking
skylander_chaos Blue Sparx Gems: 825
#36 Posted: 13:56:32 30/10/2014
Early 2011.. My co-worker and me stopped by his house after a long day of X-ray, and he said here, check this out.. He was also a game tester by night and showed me all these figures, unopened with no barcodes.. At first I was like naw, it's cool, I'm tired until I seen spyro! How could I pass up on my favorite purple dragon.. Been in love ever since, for the most part! My wallet does cry a lot at night these days though!
---
Our collection : every Skylander, Infinity, Trap and Amiibo to date!
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#37 Posted: 21:37:35 12/11/2014
Commercials for Spyro's Adventure... And then I'm still here.
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2745
#38 Posted: 22:01:33 12/11/2014
Since I found out Spyro was in it.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
sprocketrocket Emerald Sparx Gems: 3679
#39 Posted: 21:04:01 30/11/2014
Saw he commercial was like what??!?!?!?!?!?!cand got it for christmas
---
"When your beard is getting weird, Beard Spray! For men!"
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me