First | Previous | Page 5 of 5
1 2 3 4 5
Dark Edition Starter Pack!
Tcapron69 Blue Sparx Gems: 921
#201 Posted: 14:39:21 24/07/2014
Well the dark edition is finally at gamestop website so going today to see if I can order in store cause I really want this day one not have to wait three days after launch to get it.
---
Totally onboard for Trap Team!
Riser Yellow Sparx Gems: 1339
#202 Posted: 21:23:05 27/07/2014
Well, ever since this got announced I've been poking around the usual 'video game' suppliers in this country and on Smyths' Irish website I came across this rather interesting morsel;

Quote:
Release Date - 10th October 2014 SMYTHS EXCLUSIVE. NOT AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE UK.

So last year Dark Edition was exclusive to Gamestop and now it's Smyths' turn. What gives? Luckily there's one nearby me...but I do wonder if they'll have any preorder exclusives. If memory serves, the one other time I preordered something from them I got a PSN voucher for an in-game bonus, so they might be generous with this game too. €90 ain't too bad a deal either considering it cost me a full €100 for the Dark Edition last year.
---
This is survival of the fittest~
Failinhearts Gold Sparx Gems: 2376
#203 Posted: 21:58:05 27/07/2014
It's a good thing I held off pre-ordering. I am ordering from Target to get Outlaw Brawl and Chain. Hoorah.
---
SSA: 37/37. SG: 61/62. SSF: 73/75 STT: 42/78
Have left this forum, who knows if I'll come back...
A believer of Jesus Christ
jckelsall Blue Sparx Gems: 624
#204 Posted: 11:07:53 28/07/2014
Quote: Riser
Well, ever since this got announced I've been poking around the usual 'video game' suppliers in this country and on Smyths' Irish website I came across this rather interesting morsel;

Quote:
Release Date - 10th October 2014 SMYTHS EXCLUSIVE. NOT AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE UK.

So last year Dark Edition was exclusive to Gamestop and now it's Smyths' turn. What gives? Luckily there's one nearby me...but I do wonder if they'll have any preorder exclusives. If memory serves, the one other time I preordered something from them I got a PSN voucher for an in-game bonus, so they might be generous with this game too. €90 ain't too bad a deal either considering it cost me a full €100 for the Dark Edition last year.

Last year, I remember a lot of problems that people had relating to Gamestop preorders of the dark edition, so maybe their exclusivity rights have been transferred to other companies? Either way, it will save you money, so that's one less thing to moan about

Here in the UK, GAME have recieved exclusivity again, and will be selling it at about £10 cheaper - £70 instead of £80
Riser Yellow Sparx Gems: 1339
#205 Posted: 14:55:49 28/07/2014
Yeah, I ran into that problem. I did eventually get LightCore Hex but it took about a week or two to come in.

The funny thing is, despite being listed on their site, I sent an e-mail to Symths to confirm with them that they are in fact stocking the Dark Edition this year and the answer I received was to contact my local store so that "they will be able to advise your accordingly." Uhm. They NEVER have a clue but okay?

Like seriously, I went in there one day and the dude serving me wasn't even aware there was a Skylander's 3 for 2 deal going on. It was mentioned on their website but there was no special promo stickers on any packages.
---
This is survival of the fittest~
Skylanders Dad Blue Sparx Gems: 878
#206 Posted: 10:42:43 29/07/2014
Good morning folks,

I think I'm going to go ahead and pre-order this dark edition. Do any of the retailers offer a bonus with pre-order? That would be nice since I'd be dropping a hondo. Which is the best? Thanks in advance for any help. I've looked at some of the typical websites (TRU/Gamestop) and didn't see anything.
---
Here we go again...!
Hexin_Wishes Yellow Sparx Gems: 1522
#207 Posted: 15:38:25 29/07/2014
^Target apparently has a "variant Villain" (really???)

Anyways, is the 3DS getting a dark edition? I'd assume not but since they're broadening it - I don't see why not*

*Plus, I don't want Barkley and would rather an actual TT-era figure.
skylandsfan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5272
#208 Posted: 15:58:26 29/07/2014 | Topic Creator
I preordered and I am still going to get multiple trap masters day 1 though I won't get the game till the 7th or 8th
---
My life will not be complete until I own Sun Dragon
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#209 Posted: 15:58:36 29/07/2014
3DS version looks like another phone-in...I don't expect anything but the standard starter for that. I suspect handheld games will die on the vine in the next few years as mobile gaming replaces it.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
#210 Posted: 17:54:11 29/07/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster
I suspect handheld games will die on the vine in the next few years as mobile gaming replaces it.

Definitely not for Nintendo*. It is their most viable platform. Not only that, mobile gaming can only do so much at the moment. Not every gamer is an idiot who loves to fling Birds.

*Unless Nintendo is planning to put out their own phone (which would be awesome).
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#211 Posted: 17:59:01 29/07/2014
Yeah...the whole "handheld games will get killed off by mobile" prophecy hasn't played out at all. Even the Ouya and GameStick couldn't lift mobile OS gaming onto the same playing field.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#212 Posted: 18:04:46 29/07/2014
We'll see. I'm talking five years out...I'm not saying in the next 90 days. Everyone with a handheld is more than likely getting a phone. The competitive market for handheld devices is shrinking.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3054
#213 Posted: 18:16:42 29/07/2014
As long as Nintendo holds on to elementary school kids, there is a profit to be made...outside of that though...yeah - phones and tablets are taking over.

I still love my Vita though.
- Unreall
#214 Posted: 18:33:40 29/07/2014
You sorely underestimate Nintendo's broad appeal...
#215 Posted: 19:11:37 29/07/2014
No I don't, I hae a 3DS and I'm 32. Several folks on FB do as well. But the MAJORITY of their income comes from younger kids...
- Unreall
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#216 Posted: 21:26:50 29/07/2014
We'll see. I'm talking five years out...I'm not saying in the next 90 days. Everyone with a handheld is more than likely getting a phone. The competitive market for handheld devices is shrinking.

Nah, Sony will pack it in for handhelds when Vita finally goes away (I love my Vita, but it is in serious need of some help). Nintendo will still own this market. The problem is phones are too expensive to give to your kids and they don't have Mario/Pokemon. Sure, today's kids will move on to phones (although many will still want to play Mario), but we are constantly creating new young Nintendo fans. If anything, they might go completely portable and leave consoles behind with the next generation (I doubt it though) and simply have a TV hookup on it.
DM235 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1678
#217 Posted: 21:49:27 29/07/2014
I could see one more generation of portable consoles, but that's probably it. Both the Vita and the 3DS are selling worse then their last generation counterparts (PSP and DS, respectively). Phones and tablets are taking over.
FireMeowth Emerald Sparx Gems: 3230
#218 Posted: 22:17:15 29/07/2014
I'm fairly certain no handheld console will ever be as large and unnatural a phenomena as the DS, but even if it's impossible for it to live up to the sales of its predecessor, the 3DS is still in no substantial danger.

The Pokémon franchise is still as strong as ever (X/Y have sold over 12 million copies so far, I believe), and I can't even imagine a future where people won't be sticking with Nintendo for those games as well as all the other great exclusives - especially when Sony most inevitably retreats and Nintendo once again holds monopoly on the dedicated handheld gaming market.
#219 Posted: 23:04:32 29/07/2014
Quote: defpally

Nah, Sony will pack it in for handhelds when Vita finally goes away (I love my Vita, but it is in serious need of some help). Nintendo will still own this market. The problem is phones are too expensive to give to your kids and they don't have Mario/Pokemon. Sure, today's kids will move on to phones (although many will still want to play Mario), but we are constantly creating new young Nintendo fans. If anything, they might go completely portable and leave consoles behind with the next generation (I doubt it though) and simply have a TV hookup on it.

Nah to your Nah and raise you a AHA! Btw, people know that kids grow up, right? I won't be funding my kids phones, but I assure you they will want one. And if they can afford they will eventually get one. Those who can't afford it have wonderful programs available from the government and other sources. Demand won't shrink to zero but as I look around me the focus isn't as sharp as it once was. If I was a developer of Kim Kardashian's Hollywood they are expecting 200m dollars from in game purchases. That's not chump change. Just sayin'. And if I was wanting to be a game developer today, I'd most definitely target the mobile market FIRST. Imagine someone who is 17-20. Are they more likely to have a DS in their hands or their smartphone?

Also, cloud based gaming is specifically going to take advantage of mobile devices. Eventually the hardware will mean nothing. It's MAME on steroids.

I love my handheld systems more than anyone else, but I see where the future is.
---
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 23:17:18 29/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#220 Posted: 12:14:10 30/07/2014
I personally hate playing games on my galaxy 4. I'd much rather play on my 3ds. Prob same reason while that i got a kindle fire hd from my wife last xmas i still use my notebook over it any day when i'm out cause i cant stand touch screen crap.
#221 Posted: 12:50:40 30/07/2014
I still hate the way the Nintendo handhelds feel in hand, so uncomfortable, I can't play SF very long on my 3DS because it hurts after a while. I dunno how kids play on it.

The vita feels so much better, but is heavy as heck.
- Unreall
#222 Posted: 12:57:19 30/07/2014
Quote: Unreallystic
I still hate the way the Nintendo handhelds feel in hand, so uncomfortable, I can't play SF very long on my 3DS because it hurts after a while. I dunno how kids play on it.

The vita feels so much better, but is heavy as heck.
- Unreall

That's why they sell multiple models. The 3DS XL is for larger hands. I personally think the 2DS is most comfortable, at least for me, and I always kept the 3D slider set to OFF anyway.

As for the Vita, I agreed until I found a nice grip holder. I think it was $12 on Amazon and it makes playing Vita so, so very much more enjoyable.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
MatthewGlenHill Green Sparx Gems: 189
#223 Posted: 13:13:21 30/07/2014
Quote: Failinhearts
It's a good thing I held off pre-ordering. I am ordering from Target to get Outlaw Brawl and Chain. Hoorah.

Has anyone confirmed that the Free Trap and Outlaw Brawl and Chain Bonus is included in the Dark Edition Pre-Order from Target? That will most likely be a large factor of if I get the regular or dark starter pack.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:35:25 30/07/2014 by MatthewGlenHill
#224 Posted: 15:47:02 30/07/2014
Quote: MatthewGlenHill
Quote: Failinhearts

Has anyone confirmed that the Free Trap and Outlaw Brawl and Chain Bonus is included in the Dark Edition Pre-Order from Target? That will most likely be a large factor of if I get the regular or dark starter pack.

It's confirmed that Outlaw B&C is not for Dark packs, only the regular starter packs.
---
#225 Posted: 16:14:48 30/07/2014
Thanks for the response, that makes me second guess getting the dark starter pack. Not only are you spending an additional $25 for only one additional character and trap (which by my estimates is only a $20 value, one Trap Master at $15 and a Trap a 5 or $6) but you will not get the free pre-order trap which is an additional $5 or 6 value. All in all that makes it not so great to get the dark starter, IMO.

I am going to be interested to see if they have the Kaos crystal available on day one, which I have heard it will. That makes it not such a big deal to get the dark starter... Hmmmmmm, good thing I won't be making this decision for about a month.
GIANTSRULE Yellow Sparx Gems: 1660
#226 Posted: 16:18:36 30/07/2014
Well in the UK it is a pre order bonus for the dark starter pack so why is it not in the US
---
"Taking Charge"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:19:04 30/07/2014 by GIANTSRULE
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#227 Posted: 16:49:14 30/07/2014
Nah to your Nah and raise you a AHA! Btw, people know that kids grow up, right? I won't be funding my kids phones, but I assure you they will want one. And if they can afford they will eventually get one. Those who can't afford it have wonderful programs available from the government and other sources. Demand won't shrink to zero but as I look around me the focus isn't as sharp as it once was. If I was a developer of Kim Kardashian's Hollywood they are expecting 200m dollars from in game purchases. That's not chump change. Just sayin'. And if I was wanting to be a game developer today, I'd most definitely target the mobile market FIRST. Imagine someone who is 17-20. Are they more likely to have a DS in their hands or their smartphone?

Also, cloud based gaming is specifically going to take advantage of mobile devices. Eventually the hardware will mean nothing. It's MAME on steroids.

I love my handheld systems more than anyone else, but I see where the future is.

Come on man, don't fall back on that old conservative tripe about that phone program Bush started (and conservatives have been misled to believe are "Obama Phones"). It didn't include smart phones anyways, besides I don't see kids giving up a 3DS for a cheap flip phone (which is what that program provided) with no data allocation.

Yeah I saw that story about Kardasnian, and I have to say their targets are lofty. Maybe it'll happen that way, but then again I really don't get the whole Kardasnian thing anyways (people famous for simply being famous, it's moronic). There are articles starting to appear talking about how making a living in the App market is really getting hard. You can make a few bucks, but only the top fraction of 1% of the developers are making almost all of the money. You can't make a living doing it unless you come up with something REALLY unique.

Nintendo has one thing in their favor, they are a game company, and unlike Sony and Microsoft, they recognize that. The WiiU is the only console that doesn't try to be a stripped down, not as good PC with no upgradeability. It plays games first and foremost, sure they throw some TV integration and social interaction bones, but it is what it is. You don't rent movies on it, you don't split screen TV or Skype. You play Mario. And while the 17-20 crowd may like their phones, the 5-14 crowd will still exist and like their portable game console. There is enough of them to support whatever Nintendo comes up with. That is Sony's problem with the Vita, they are aiming their portable at an older market that is likely to have a smart phone.

And yeah, I love our portables. We have 3 3DS XLs, one for me, one for each of the boys. I tried to go with letting my youngest make do with his brother's old DS, but that didn't fly when his brother started playing 3DS only games he wanted to play too, so I upgraded his on a good trade in deal. And I got myself a Vita last Christmas on a good sale on Amazon, I really like it - but it needs help if it is going to ever make it. Our TRU has like 5 different Vita games in stock, it is sad. PS Plus is great if you have a Vita, digital is the way to go - they have some really great games (including many PSP games which work on it).
#228 Posted: 16:51:10 30/07/2014
People have many ways to get phones. Programs exist. There are many secondary markets for this for others to get phones. And data plans aren't required to play games--any WiFi will do. Also look at the Detroit situation. Percentage wise more people have cell phones than pay their water bills. People are finding ways to get them, and that's a fact. So---not buying "they're too expensive" stuff. Data suggests otherwise.

I do agree that Nintendo has an incredible brand that won't go laying down, but the odds are against them. I don't want the market to fail, frankly, but I'm being real on the future prospects. This is my last post on this since this is derailing the conversation.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 17:01:39 30/07/2014 by GhostRoaster
#229 Posted: 17:34:19 30/07/2014
Because Detroit is generalizable to the general population (and, a source link would do your argument good)...

In terms of data plan, you need it for the primary function of a phone (at the bare minimum for picture texting but, let's be real, people these days want to be able to go online). No one is going to buy a phone solely for gaming (unless you are idiot) over wi-fi.
#230 Posted: 18:31:26 30/07/2014
Quote: GIANTSRULE
Well in the UK it is a pre order bonus for the dark starter pack so why is it not in the US

I would think that the bonus would work on the Dark Starter too, maybe I will have to check for myself next time I am there.
#231 Posted: 19:23:36 30/07/2014
Quote: MatthewGlenHill
Quote: GIANTSRULE

I would think that the bonus would work on the Dark Starter too, maybe I will have to check for myself next time I am there.

Sometimes promotions are really strict so that the something extra makes people pre-order a certain version of the product.
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#232 Posted: 10:22:02 13/08/2014
A new backstory for the new Dark Skylanders:

Quote:
From his top secret lair, Kaos had engineered a dangerous material known as Dark Traptanium – which he intended to use to capture the Skylanders once and for all! Caught off guard, several Skylanders fell into his trap and were imprisoned within the crystal walls. But the Trap Masters arrived just in time and shattered the dark traps with their weapons made from pure Traptanium! Though they were free, they had absorbed enough of the dark energy within, transforming them into dark versions of themselves! Fortunately, they have learned to control it – combining the dark power with their own to fight Kaos and the forces of evil.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#233 Posted: 10:23:56 13/08/2014
Quote: dark52
A new backstory for the new Dark Skylanders:

Quote:
From his top secret lair, Kaos had engineered a dangerous material known as Dark Traptanium – which he intended to use to capture the Skylanders once and for all! Caught off guard, several Skylanders fell into his trap and were imprisoned within the crystal walls. But the Trap Masters arrived just in time and shattered the dark traps with their weapons made from pure Traptanium! Though they were free, they had absorbed enough of the dark energy within, transforming them into dark versions of themselves! Fortunately, they have learned to control it – combining the dark power with their own to fight Kaos and the forces of evil.

Not so original as the other story...
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#234 Posted: 22:57:58 14/08/2014
Pre-ordered the Dark edition today. I was sold on the playable Kaos and the rumors of the Kaos trap being limited on release only sweetened the deal.

I missed out on the Dark Editions for Giants and Swap Force, i ain't missing out again
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
TerraFizz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1484
#235 Posted: 23:25:49 14/08/2014
Quote: Traptanium
Just to let you know there was not a giants dark edition

There wasn't? Thanks for the heads up. Then it was just the Swap Force I missed then.
---
smilie Pop Fizz's Theme Song: smilie
http://youtu.be/zpE08s1g7m4
melvimbe Yellow Sparx Gems: 1327
#236 Posted: 23:55:37 14/08/2014
My kids have ipod touches, not phones. They have asked for 3DS, but they aren't going to get them. The games are more expensive, and (as far as I know) the device is not as functional. I'd rather invest in console games that we can play together for the most part, not looking for excuses for us to be together, but apart.

To most (many?) parents, the handheld/mobile game acts as a pacifier for the most part. Why go for the expensive pacifier when the cheap one works just as well?
#237 Posted: 12:25:25 15/08/2014
Quote: melvimbe
My kids have ipod touches, not phones. They have asked for 3DS, but they aren't going to get them. The games are more expensive, and (as far as I know) the device is not as functional. I'd rather invest in console games that we can play together for the most part, not looking for excuses for us to be together, but apart.

To most (many?) parents, the handheld/mobile game acts as a pacifier for the most part. Why go for the expensive pacifier when the cheap one works just as well?

This is all heavily, heavily debatable.
---
#238 Posted: 01:31:00 16/08/2014
Not to mention full of poor logic but
[User Posted Image]
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#239 Posted: 13:54:05 16/08/2014
The website says that the Dark Edition is the only way to get the Ultimate Kaos Trap.

Now, does that mean the Kaos trap in general, or is the Ultimate Kaos Trap somehow different from the regular version?
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#240 Posted: 14:01:08 16/08/2014
Its a special version of the Kaos trap, Larger with some paint differences and such. The regular version of the kaos trap will be available.
#241 Posted: 14:01:57 16/08/2014
In smaller quantities, while supplies last. smilie
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#242 Posted: 21:29:21 16/08/2014
where can you pre-order this in store?
sea73 Green Sparx Gems: 162
#243 Posted: 18:42:56 20/08/2014
Hey guys this is my first post...only discovered Skylanders in July but have been completely hooked and have a large collection on the go...

My question is about Dark Wildfire...in my opinion he looks 10x better than the normal Wildfire...but I don't want Dark Food Fight or Dark Snap Shot. Will it be possible to buy the dark characters as singles later on in later waves? I know nothing has been confirmed, but what are people's general impressions from previous releases?

Thanks
skylandsfan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5272
#244 Posted: 18:48:37 20/08/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: sea73
Hey guys this is my first post...only discovered Skylanders in July but have been completely hooked and have a large collection on the go...

My question is about Dark Wildfire...in my opinion he looks 10x better than the normal Wildfire...but I don't want Dark Food Fight or Dark Snap Shot. Will it be possible to buy the dark characters as singles later on in later waves? I know nothing has been confirmed, but what are people's general impressions from previous releases?

Thanks

No probably not at least there is always eBay tho
---
My life will not be complete until I own Sun Dragon
jbkaok Blue Sparx Gems: 635
#245 Posted: 18:59:14 20/08/2014
You can definitely get the Dark characters on eBay, but will most likely spend a bit more than retail, since the people who are selling them are most likely getting Dark packs and scalping them. It also depends on the popularity of the character - Dark Wash Bucklers seemed to go for more than Dark Blast Zones for whatever reason...
---
A sword of storms! smilie smilie
First | Previous | Page 5 of 5
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me