First | Previous | Page 4 of 7 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reviews *Spoilers* [STICKY]
Cynder_Rox Gold Sparx Gems: 2322
#151 Posted: 04:35:49 17/01/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
I just thought I'd make a point of showing how DotD ranks when stacked up against all the other games for each console it was released for (except mobile). These are from Metacritic.

Sony Playstation 3:
Ranked 391 out of 468 titles

Sony Playstation 2:
Unranked

Nintendo Wii:
Ranked 298 out of 558 titles

Nintendo DS:
Ranked 545 out of 739 titles

X-Box 360:
Ranked 560 out of 799 titles

Wow. <.<;

Sounds kind of good for something so ****astic.
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#152 Posted: 17:58:05 17/01/2010
Right, very long:

Graphics: Amazingly amazing! It looked real! After all, it makes a change from the papery graphics of the originals but they were good for the time they were made. I only have PS3, and those are splendid and a pleasure to look at!
Graphic rating: 10/10

Camera: Um, not brilliant. It doesn't turn around completely so I struggled when looking for stuff. It needs some improvement. After all, when looking at the other games that had a better camera I was actually quite dissappointed. I have never been dissappointed with a Spyro game before except when I looked at Spyro mobile.
Camera rating: 4/10

Music: AMAZING! Especially Valley of Avalar because I got goosebumps when I was listening! And the fact that it has 2 parts to it makes it better, it really suited the place. Anyway, I think that music is genius, and they really thought about the level and how it makes you react. That took some good thinking, and they succeeded.
Music rating: 10/10

Difficulty: Wow, I had to pop to the walkthrough about once every 10 minutes! It was quite difficult, and the difficulty made me frustrated sometimes. I think they should make it slightly simpler and clearer about what's going on.
Difficulty rating: 7/10

Walking: Slow, but the footstep sound is new and cool. I enjoyed walking for a while, and then decided to fly. Maybe a bit more speed would be welcomed to the process, but apart from that, good.
Walking rating: 8/10

Flying: I loved it. Especially the wing beating. The only negative tendency was that sometimes you could fly extremely high and sometimes you were extremely low. Maybe even height conditions could be considered for the following game.
Flying rating: 9/10

Climbing: I liked the idea, but it was hard to get used to. Especially wall running. I couldn't get to the green magic crystal with the orb for about 8 tries. Make it simpler next time you people!
Climbing rating: 7/10

Attacks: Good. Mainly because there was a page explaining each and every attack and the buttons and what it did. Maybe narrow the choices down slightly.
Attack rating: 8/10

Collectables: Very impressive. I enjoyed looking for armour and customizing Spyro and Cynder. They should do this more often!
Collectable rating: 10/10

Cutscenes: I like the way it hasn't been pre-recorded with one character or armour set. It sort of blended in with what you were doing.
Cutscene rating: 10/10

Plot: Good. It sort of carried on from TEN but I haven't completed Ten yet so I don't know everything that's going on.
Plot rating: 8/10

Elements: I liked them. They still do the pool where you can upgrade which I think is a good idea.
Element rating: 7/10

Combat/fighting: Loads of that. It was tricky, but also quite fun collecting gems and all.
Comabt/fighting rating: 8/10

Gameplay/fun: Very fun, but maybe they should of narrowed down the fighting a bit. It would make it much more fun.
Gameplay/fun rating: 9/10

Overall rating:

116/140
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#153 Posted: 08:11:03 20/01/2010
umm, it was easy... and there were to many plotholes...
ignitusLUVA Yellow Sparx Gems: 1105
#154 Posted: 18:24:22 27/02/2010
i think...

combat: 5/10
flying:6/10
voice acting:0/10
storyline:4/10

overall rating:6/10
spyro fan 8 Ripto Gems: 2948
#155 Posted: 02:17:08 02/03/2010
Meh... Short review, nothing to it:

Story: 7.5/10

Gameplay: 6/10. It sucked. No other way to say it. Enemies had WAY too much health, and the game relyed too much on killing things to get breath and hp/exp gems. The only reason I give this a 6 is because flying and co-op was pretty fun, along with Cynder's breath powers.

Graphics: 8/10. Beautiful graphics, especially in Avalar. Too dark at times, though.

Replayabitly: 2/10. The only thing you can do is repeat the story and chapters. No wonderful, not enemy-infested land in the game, even after completion. Although you can still pick up any needed collectables.

Multiplayer (local): 8/10. It makes the game much, much better if you have a friend playing, although you're stuck together with little room.

Difficulty: 6.5/10. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say the difficulty is 8 or something like that, I rated it the way I did because the difficulty made the game so boring at times, because the enemies take forever to kill unless you have a good amount of breath power or whatever it's called.

Overall and closing comments: It's a good game for deep Legend of Spyro fans, but if you're just a casual Spyro player who prefers the originals, this might not appeal to you as much as the originals, or the first two LOS games, but then again, you may have a different opinion on the game. Overall, I'd give the game a 7. Playable by hardcore LOS fans mostly.

Short review of my opinion on the game, it killed time, at least.
jimmiekleman Green Sparx Gems: 137
#156 Posted: 10:09:28 11/04/2010
Okay, here's my review.

XBOX 360

I begin with the basic.

Story-line:10/10
It was a perfect story, if i would change it, i would just leave it as it is.

Controls:10/10
Even though i haven't played the eternal night(i do not own a ps2, but i did own a wii) i love the controlls as it is.

Graphics:10/10
I have heard that the ps2 and wii version has that glitch when you bring the raft for meadow, then Sparx says that line where he did all the work. Under that scene, Sparx eyes and arms where twisted and pointed everywhere while he spoke. It has never occured to me on the wii version. But i play Dawn of the dragon on Xbox 360 and love the graphics, love the forest in valley of avalar and the rest.

Music/actors:I mainly don't care about who is acting who in the game but i love to have elijah as Spyro and love Cynder to be played by christina. Love the voices. I don't care who plays Sparx, he is still funny.
The music was stunning. I love the theme of the whole game named Guide you home[I would die for you]. I love the text and love that rebecca and gabriel made the song.
I also love the theme from valley of avalar. I even meditate when i listen to the music!

Main rating in the section Basics:10/10
The game has a great story-line and a great combination of controlls, graphics, sounds and music.

The games feautures.

Walking/running:10/10
I like the running animation and how it looks like.
It looks really great and it is really how a dragon run.

Fying:20/10
Flying is a feauture created by sierra that blowed my mind. Never have i thought about this. Flying is the main thing i do in the whole game, fly through valley of avalar. That is real freedom.

Co-op:10/10
I also love how you can switch to play as Cynder which you couldn't do in the other the legend of Spyro games.

Boss challenge:10/10
I had a hard time to beat the bosses in the game, especially the green golem that you first meet in the dragon city. But challenging is fun.
Also, the monster with the mace was really hard to beat in the burned lands. Multiple bosses in the same chapter. Kinda hard but i got it eventully

Chapter select:10/10
This is a very important thing that every game must have, chapter/level select! In the last two games(A new beginnning and the eternal night) you were forced to play the story to get to your favourite scene. that was bad. But it was really great that you now can select a part of the game you want to play.

The new elements:9/10
Cynder had the shadow/fear breath during the end of a new beginning but now she has shadow and fear separated.
What would have been great is that you mabye would have to upgrade fear and shadow full before you upgraded poison and wind at all.
Otherwise, i love the attacks with the elements.

Main Game feautures rating:9.5/10
I hate to give my fan character a 0.5 left=( But the only reason is that the game is to short! more levels would be great.

Rating:10/10
I love the game and i don't care if people hate it, as long as the game selling companies buy the future Spyro games for us fans.

Spyro is a legend, that's why he's purple.

What i think is the name of the next Spyro game:The purple dragon Spyro
---
When hope is gone, don't give up. Your side is good and good sides have luck!
Spyro is a legend, that's why he is purple.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:14:30 11/04/2010 by jimmiekleman
Spyrobaby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4254
#157 Posted: 14:52:21 11/04/2010
So you love DoTD?
---
The darkness only stays at nighttime, in the morning it'll fade away. Daylight's good at arriving at the right time, it's not always going to be this grey~
jimmiekleman Green Sparx Gems: 137
#158 Posted: 19:11:14 11/04/2010
Of coursesmilie
---
When hope is gone, don't give up. Your side is good and good sides have luck!
Spyro is a legend, that's why he is purple.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#159 Posted: 16:44:47 25/04/2010
I give it 100/10!! It was AWESOME!!!!!!!! The only problem I had with it was the camera and the brightness of the fire levels. It was sometimes hard to see (this is related to the camera too)
Other than that, I LOVED it!! smilie
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
spyrofan29 Red Sparx Gems: 49
#160 Posted: 22:53:51 29/04/2010
my review is

(flying) 8/10
(breath)9/10
(co-op) 8/10
(story) 9/10
(final boss)10/10

but thats just me smilie

#161 Posted: 23:19:33 29/04/2010
Mine is -

Gameplay: 4/10 - Gets really, really boring. The only reason it got this score was because of the flying, and in some ways, I preferred gliding in TEN/ANB.

Story: 4/10 - I'm sorry, too many plotholes and waaaaaay too cheesy, even for me (and that's saying something.....).

Graphics: 9/10 - Even on the PS2, they look stunning.

Music: 5/10 - Some music was amazing, but some of the battling music was really, really boring. I almost turned the volume off at one stage.

Voice acting: 4/10 - Yeah, I agree with most - It was pretty bad. Some of it was okay, but most was quite poor. And the elders needed more lines, though that's story related too.

Extras: 2/10 - Picture galleries they used in the process of making anyway. Lazy much? Was it that hard to render Dark Spyro & Dark Cynder playable for completing it 100%?

Overall: 5/10
It was okay..... But I personally found TEN more enjoyable. There were also far too many glitches in the game, and I don't mean harmless ones - I mean ones that cause you to reset without saving.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#162 Posted: 23:59:16 29/04/2010
May I please ask why people hated the voice acting?
cynder 9999 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1285
#163 Posted: 17:27:18 03/05/2010
graphics: 7/10
combat (all): 9/10
amour: 10/10
overal: 7/10
It could of bean better
---
Leaving, For good..
sparxman123 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1268
#164 Posted: 01:12:32 14/05/2010
i loved evrythining exept for the camra

10/10

Edit: overall 8.9
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:37:49 26/07/2010 by sparxman123
darkdragon50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2167
#165 Posted: 23:14:34 18/05/2010
It was a great game, except for the camera and the voice acting.

8/10
---
R E V A L I ' S G A L E I S N O W R E A D Y
crazyspyrofan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1042
#166 Posted: 20:18:15 16/06/2010
My review

Story:9/10 The story was excellent.The only reason it did not get a 10 was becuase of the open ending it had.OOC:A lot of people say that there was plotholes but I don't see any.Could someone please give an example of one of the game's plotholes?

Graphics:8/10 The graphics were very good.I have seen better though.I also dont like how they took the slow motion out.

Combat:7/10 I like all of the diffrent upgradable breaths and the new moves but I think there was too much fighting in this game.Plus I think the enemies were overpowered.

Flying:9/10:The flying was very fun.It was a little difficult to control though.

Voice acting:10/10 The voice talent was excellent in my opinion.I have no complaints.

Multiplayer:10/10 I really like how they added co-op in to this game.It was a good twist.

Music:7.5/10:It could have been better and it could have been worse.

Overall rating:9/10 I really enjoyed this game,I also have very little major complaints execpt that I think there was too much fighting.
---
"This twisted game needs to be reset,"-Solo Wing Pixy,Ace Combat Zero.
aran Emerald Sparx Gems: 4040
#167 Posted: 20:28:09 17/06/2010
i loved it
CynderFan23 Blue Sparx Gems: 658
#168 Posted: 20:10:43 21/07/2010
to be honest i really didn't like dotd they made it way too easy. and what up with the ending i didn't get it. also i'm mad about
ignitus dying
---
my deviant art profile http://cynderfan23.deviantart.com/
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#169 Posted: 15:59:52 05/08/2010
The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
I was very dissapointed with this game because of the obvious Plot holes that had been left out, and several levels were extremely boring, example The Danm. The Free Fly was rubbish, it was hardly free fly because wherether you flew something pushed you down to the floor. Malefor also had a screwed up voice, and his Cameo was far too short. I was expecting more than just a boss fight. The breaths had got worse and you could no longer use Fury for each breath, but just Convexity, and even that was not impressive. The bosses were way too easy, like Malefor and the Golem. The ending was the worst. It left me clueless and going "WTF???"
1/10
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
ignitusforever Ripto Gems: 1788
#170 Posted: 23:49:10 09/08/2010
Quote: Dragonhope
9.8 because...

Sparx had a terrible voice

Seriously. The storyline was pwnage to me. It was like a novel.

... ?? Huh? You mean like a twilight novel right? The storyline was pretty awful.
There's almost no emotion, no chracter development, no indivual personailtes, (aside from Sparx, Volteer and Cyril) and Activison does as good a job of keeping it on track like a train crashed into the ocean 100 miles from the tracks. I don't mean any offense whatsoever, and I on't want to trash your opinion, but the fact tht this storyline is awful is a lot more fact then opinion.
#171 Posted: 17:14:07 14/08/2010
The ending was the absolute Worst bit.

• WTF happened to Malefor?
  • I support the Anti-SpyroXCynder Campaign
  • Okay, the centre of a Planet would not be Crystal
  • Cynder resisted and broke free from Malefor too easy
  • I wanted to see much more than just a Malefor boss
  • Way too easy
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
pie1 Blue Sparx Gems: 774
#172 Posted: 12:27:18 15/08/2010
Quote: GamingMaster_76
May I please ask why people hated the voice acting?

Because everyone thinks they were dull and emotionless.

Ok my review...

Characters: 8/10 I love the characters, lots of different personalitys, but, they mostly had no emotion. Also there is only one major girl character, which bothers me deeply. Oh, and volteer and cyril only got one line.

Story: 9/10 The story was excellent no doubt. Yet I was annoyed at the end because it left you hanging, you don't know if they died or not.

Camera: 3/10 Oi, I hated the stupid camera. It's not reliable at all, it goes all over the place. The only reason I didn't give it a zero is because of the few times it actually does what it's suppose to do.

Walking/Running 10/10 Can't really say anything except they did good on this.

Graphics/Level background 20/10 I loved everything about the levels on this game. They were beautifuly created and had different feelings in each. Awesome.

Elements: 15/10 The elements were very creative espesially Cynder's. They were fun to use aganst enemies and obstucales. I also loved the powers withen the elements, they were great.

melee/elemental combat: 10/10 Very fun, that's all I can say. I love how you can grab enemies now unlike the other games and spin them around like they're rag dolls. Elemental battles are exciting with all the different ways you can kill them.

Boss Battles: 8/10 The destoryer was the hardest one in the bosses. The golem was average. Malafor was way too easy for me, he proved to not be very unstoppable.

Soundtrack: 10/10 The music rocked, they were all great for each of the levels perfectly, and very pretty.

end of review.
---
Oh it's not cheating! It's creative stratagy!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:30:20 15/08/2010 by pie1
flyleaf Green Sparx Gems: 143
#173 Posted: 14:42:05 15/08/2010
Heres my review...

Characters: 7/10 I found the characters enjoyable. However I feel there personalitys were dull and emotionless. Volteer and Cyril didnt get enough lines and Cynder being the only girl was annoying.

Story: 9/10 Great story, one point off for frustrating and confusing ending.

Camera: 2/10 There was horriable defaults in the camera, way too much manual turning and angling of it. There was only a few times you could actully rely on it.

Walking/Running: 10/10 Good running and walking, nothing to complain about.

Graphics/Level backround 15/10 Backrounds and graphics were great, beautiful sceanery and design. smilie

Elements: 10/10 Great creativity with the elements. There was varitiy with both Cynder and Spyro's powers and the energy they took to perform was reasonable.

Melee/Elemental combat: 10/10 Elements and melee attacks flowed well together, helping you get good combos. The new grabbing enemies thing was a great and easier to work with.

Flying: 6/10 Not what I was expecting from it and was the result of many plot holes in the game. Inability to fly in certain areas was annoying but I guess was nessasary to keep the game moderatly difficult.

Boss Battles: 8/10 They were definatly creative with the Destroyer battle and did good with its difficulty. However the Golem was pretty moderate and the final battle with Malifor was way to easy.

Soundtrack: 10/10 Nothing to complain about, they had a perfectly epic soundtrack.

End of my review...
---
Just keep looking awesome...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:43:51 15/08/2010 by flyleaf
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#174 Posted: 04:24:06 20/08/2010
Here's what I think: (I've finally seen the bad in this game. smilie)

The story was pretty good. smilie Spyro and Cynder facing Malefor... Pretty epic, if you ask me. ^.^

Flying could've been better. It was kinda useless, but in some parts, it was quite handy. But for the most part, the only thing it really made you do is just go higher and a bit faster.

The scenery was excellent! ^.^ Very beautiful.

The controls where kinda awkward. It took me a while to get used to those... Especially while flaying. <.< And the more powerful ones are difficult, 'cause of the slow moving speed. smilie

The soundtrack was both epic, and beautiful! I loved it! >^w^<

I personally think the camera was nether good, nor bad. I mean, you could zoom in and out and move it around to get a look around you, but it moves slowly...

The levels where good, and bad. Some of them where generally fun, and pretty. Others (Like Warfang and Burned Lands) had way too much fighting and took too long.

That's my review. smilie
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
draghetta Blue Sparx Gems: 704
#175 Posted: 20:21:05 02/09/2010
for me 10/10.
#176 Posted: 15:56:46 03/09/2010
Mine wasn't clear enough so I'm just doing a proper Readable Version Guys...

Gameplay/Controls = 2/10
Okay, I'm sorry but the Gameplay was terrible. The camera was rarely close enough, and for some reason I can never run along the walls when Required. They Deleted an all-time classic control, the charge, and replaced it with bloody free-flight. The Free-Flight sucked as you couldn't fly that high, and they put massive invisible walls to stop you flyin over areas. Terrible. smilie
Graphics/Visuals = 4/10
Graphics were okay in my Perspective, however as for the Visuals... the Camera was too far out from the Characters, as you could not get a clear image of them close up. Awful. smilie
Story = 0/10
Okay, WTFH was this meant to be? First, they Grew inside the Crystal. Please, and why would Malefors Minions release them in the first place? So that Malefor could fight them? Dear God, what rubbish. Then the fact Malefor was trying to create a new world... utter rubbish. Please, he's meant to be evil. Plus, they could Fly over the Ring of Fire, as the Flying Islands were over the Ring of Fire and they reached them? Just an exuse to replace Sparx.
Characters = 3/10
Why just 3? Sparx was erased for the final few levels, and he was rubbish in the game anyway with another voice change, Spyro was again voiced by a weak emotionless robot who gave him no emotion except wimpyness and scared, and Cynder is the worst Character, the worst.
Overall = 9/40
Terrible Story, Terrible Characters, the Guardians had small cameos and had stupid simles, Malefor had a bad voice and Cynder's in it. God no.
---
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#177 Posted: 19:03:19 03/09/2010
On the subject of graphics, something I noticed after finally getting close to them near an edge..... They have been designed poorly, which could be why we don't see them close up often. Cynder is walking just above the ground, rather than on it, and often I see them walking on nothing.

I'll change my rating to 8/10 for graphics, mainly because Valley of Avalar is so wonderfully designed, but yeah.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#178 Posted: 18:11:23 04/09/2010
I liked Avalar. Only good level for me.
WTF? Where did the angry smiles come from, I didn't put them in!
---
#179 Posted: 10:13:23 26/09/2010
WARNING: FIRST PARAGRAPH CONTAINS SPOILERS

Storyline- 1/10: It was a very bad storyline. There were just too many plotholes and not much unexpected. Everyone has the wrong personality. Characters do stupid things through the whole game. NOTHING MAKES SENSE. For example, The enemies free Spyro and Cynder at the beginning, but instead of giving them to Malefor or killing them, they use Spyro and Cynder AGAINST A GOLEM. At the very start. And the two have grown up- You can't freeze something in time and expect it to change, or put Cynder in a giant crystal without jewelry and expect her to come out wearing some. And the two were in a collapsed mountain, but now magically surrounded by a neat path. The wise Chronicler suddenly appears at the first Mana crystal, and quick as a wink Spyro and Cynder each know 4 elements: Cynder only has 4 to make it fair for Player 2, another plothole, and against the entire unique prowess of the purple dragon which is the point of the whole trilogy. They can't fly over a small, collapsed building but save and fly around an entire village in the Valley of Avalar. Malefor's whole army has changed in only 3 years, with almost no backstory... Seriously, only 2 lines about it. And they sage a war without any training. They destroy a huge monster's heart, but it doesn't die. Spyro and Cynder also don't fly over the massive Ring of Fire, which kills the father figure, Ignitus, whereas they could have saved him by simply flying over. They don't even know if there is anything over it. The main villain Malefor isn't like ultimate evil at all; he appears too shortly and is just way too easy to beat, not even dying at the end, just getting cast away again, which is a shame as he seemed quite menacing in the other games. The ending between Spyro and Cynder is also way too sudden, and not even one hint of their love is shared before that, other than in the previous games and a few stares and incredibly small moments. The DS version is slightly better in terms of storyline, because it misses most of the stuff that made plotholes.

Graphics- 8.5/10: The graphics are beautiful on both console and DS. The only complaints are that they need more detail on DS and they can be very unsmooth, as well as that, Wii version graphics are so blurry most of the time you can barely read the text. Spyro and Cynder just stand on air above the ground, and Cynder bites through her wing spike. Very lazy, but pleasing.

Soundtrack- 7/10: Lots of music reused from the prequels. Mostly orchestrated, overall themes are very nice and match. The soundtrack remixes on DS are very good. However, there aren't nearly enough themes, and they aren't suspenseful enough.

Control- 5.5/10: Controls are very annoying on DS, and Wii version controls are particularly frustrating, other versions should be relatively easy to grasp. Camera is fine on console versions outside of Wii, DS version is in a fixed position, in good areas, and you can go up or down with it.

Gameplay- 6.5/10: The gameplay had a lot of potential, but since you're doing the same thing over and over most of the time and constantly getting pushed down during flight(which wasn't implemented into the DS version in the platform levels), that's not really that usefully put in for actually beating the levels, it's not particularly exciting and doesn't give you much thrill. There are great elemental attacks though. Physical combat has a decent range of defensive and offensive attacks, and pulling off combos after grabbing an enemy is particularly pleasing with these.

Multiplayer- 4/10: No multiplayer on DS, though luckily on console versions it's drop-in drop-out... But horrible. You both need to stay on the same screen, and can get stuck at times. As well as that, it WILL confuse less experienced players.

Other- 7.5/10: Glitches are well polished on all versions, though there are a few notable and random ones. Voices were good and sound realistic, but some scenes have unemotional voice acting and lines that don't even make you flinch. Somewhat lacking collectibles on the console version, the DS version has nothing other than health and Mana boosting Dragon Relics, tough most are well hidden. Unfortunately, you can't come back for anything in the DS version. The design was decent but too different from the other games of the trilogy, and overall execution was poor.

Overall: The DS version copies the concept of its GBA version predecessor in a lesser way- A 3D side scroller with decent combat but an unappealing presentation. The console version is great, but has many flaws and undeniable, clearly noticeable plotholes that make it impossible to enjoy even if you want to. In the end, Dawn of The Dragon's verdict? If you hated TEN, or just liked ANB, don't bother with this. It's the game with the most collectables, the best graphics, and the largest areas... But it's mind-numbingly easy and has so many plot holes you cannot enjoy it if you try to. Just spend your money on something else better like the Gameboy Avance version of The Eternal Night or a Professor Layton game. You WILL get sick of this eventually if you buy it. On the DS, this game is an on-the-go, simple to play and pick up game which is unfortunately repetitive with more potential left unused, and on console, it mostly appeals in terms of graphics, design and abilities. Yet all versions fall in the view of storyline and miscellaneous problems with a side order of horribly easy difficulty. However, at least try it out if you've played either of the other games in the trilogy and enjoyed them. You may want to avoid this if you haven't played them though.
Console: 7/10
DS: 7.5/10
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 11:35:53 05/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
PsychoBlaster Blue Sparx Gems: 647
#180 Posted: 19:05:26 02/10/2010
The game was sooooooo fun, but now I want a new one to come out. Didn't you feel like the ending was a huge cliffhanger?
#181 Posted: 19:41:14 02/10/2010
Quote: PsychoBlaster
The game was sooooooo fun, but now I want a new one to come out. Didn't you feel like the ending was a huge cliffhanger?

....Not really, tbh smilie;
---
#182 Posted: 02:15:55 03/10/2010

Nope, but it left too many plotholes...
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#183 Posted: 02:31:28 03/10/2010
6/10

Too many plothholes...
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#184 Posted: 19:41:02 11/10/2010
I was a late comer to the TLoS Trilogy. I wanted to get all 3 on the same day but ANB wasn't in stock, so I got TEN and DotD. I played through TEN before playing DotD. So here is my two cents on the game. This is the Xbox 360 version:
Gameplay:9/10. The combat system was very good. It's simple, but rewarding for the more experimental players. The elemental attacks are very unique and are really fun to use! So then the combat is a bit like Tekken in that sense. The platforming sections were fun and some of the puzzles actually confused me. Jumping along vines at lightning speed is extremely satisfying. Flying works excellently, but takes a while to get used to it's limits.

Graphics:9/10. What is it with 2008 and awesome looking games? Sonic Unleashed, Mirrors Edge...and THIS! Seriously, it looks beautiful! The Valley of Avalar is so beautiful that I just started messing around aimlessly! My only gripes with the graphics are that a select few textures look blurry and that the draw distances should be better. Also, the frame rate could of been better. But here's a fun fact: The frame rate hardly drops on an SDTV. But they can be quite severe on a HDTV!

Difficulty:8/10. Now, just so there's no confusion, I didn't rate the difficulty according to how long or frustrating the game was. The reason I gave it an 8 is because the difficulty varies depending on how you approach a battle situation. There are many ways to approach battles and it how you approach different battles can make the game easy or very hard. Enemies are also stronger in co-op. You know that strategy for Malefor where you just spam Cynder's fear element? Well, that won't make things any easier in co-op. Also some collectables are hard to find and elite enemies are EXTREMELY tough but optional. The game occasionaly makes it hard to know what your supposed to do.

Music:10/10. The musical score was beautiful. I know tracks were recycled and rearranged, but it's not like those tracks are bad at all! And the new tracks were just as good! I like this soundtrack more every time I hear it! Guide You Home gives me butterflies and is one of the first songs I've memorized the lyrics to in recent times!

Storyline:10/10. The storyline is excellent. I found the characters to be very interesting. Also, it leaves lots of speculation, NOT plotholes. Just because something isn't fully explained, or doesn't make complete sense to YOU, doesn't mean it's a plothole. For all you know, the unexplained parts are there on purpose. Kingdom Hearts games do it all the time and it's not a problem there, and probably is less of a problem here. Leaving things unexplained is a technique that story writers use so fans can speculate and therefore get further enjoyment out of the book/movie/game in question. And LoS does that very well with it's surprisingly deep storyline.

Cutscenes/Animation:8/10. Animations are almost flawless in-game. Spyro and Cynder's facial expressions change dynamically in-game and they move around very naturally. In cutscenes, animations and facial expressions could of been better. Characters sometimes look like their smiling when they shouldn't. And you get the occasional stiff animation. Although, all the really important cutscenes are usually perfectly animated. Also, Sparx was animated very well and was funny to watch!

Voice acting:8/10. All of the voice actors are very good. Elijah Wood and Gary Oldman did flawless voice work for Spyro and Ignitus respectively. Wayne Brady made an excellent Sparx. And whoever voices the artillery mole needs to be in a LOT more games! Christina Ricci actually is perfect for Cynder: you could tell by the voice acting alone that Cynder didn't have a very pleasant life, and overall, she just sounded cute! But I feel that at some parts, she could of been better. There were two parts in the game where her voice went real high pitched for seemingly no reason, among other things. But she was great in the emotional cutscenes, especially the ending.

Replay Value:7/10. After you beat the game, you can only really go back and find stuff you missed or max out Spyro and Cynder if you haven't already. But you can always go back and play co-op with your friends. Also, if you are REAL hardcore, this game actually has tons of replay value...

Closing Comments: The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon is an underappreciated gem(no pun intended) well worth your time. I realise the game is technically "unfinished", but it still feels extremely polished. It has a few flaws, but they go from nitpicky types of flaws to minor flaws. No major flaws here! And for that, I love the game even more!

Overall Rating:9/10

I hope you enjoyed reading my review of The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon!
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#185 Posted: 01:50:25 12/10/2010
Burning Gnorc's Drive Thru' Review.

Pros;
-Great graphics. Oh my goodness, so much eye candy.
-A fantastic musical score. It's eye candy with sound sauce!
-Solid gameplay. Yeah.
-Cynder herself is nice to play as, and doesn't come off as an annoying bag of meat you don't want to play as. *coughblazecough*
-The romance also doesn't come off as in your face and it plays a back seat to the storyline as opposed to intruding on it. *cougharchiesonicduhcough*
-The story itself does well to keep itself contained to one game, and not need to know too much about the previous games to pick up and play.
-Surprisingly bright.

Cons;
-I will admit, Hunter is nothing like his counterpart in the older games. Spyro had that sense of wanting to do right and get the job done as quickly as possible, Sparx had some snark towards his friend as part of playful banter, but Hunter...yeah, no.
-Maybe it's just me having not played ANB and TEN that much, but we do not get a whole lot of personality from the Guardians. Strange, as one of them DIES as a major plot point.
-The flight controls can get stuck all too often, which is annoying when two hero orcs are after your blood.
-Fighting can get tedious in certain parts, mostly when the enemy waves come.
-That camera hates me.
-Enemy variety is poor. That sounds almost hypocritical with me not taking ire at three Gnorc designs in AHT, but at least they were interspersed with native enemies exclusive to each realm, and the Gnorcs themselves got a new twist in design. In DotD, the enemies do not change.
-Gnasty Gnorc in AHT was harder than any dragon that served as a final boss. Yes, Red was easy, but Malefor was ridiculous. The elite guy waiting just outside the lair was harder. With that said, the ending was a little anticlimatic.
-The difficulty curve goes from too steep to being nonexistant, depending on how maxed out you are.

So yeah. it's a good game, but it does have it's fair share of flaws (Which aren't couple wars...). Overall, I give the game 74/100
---
Eh.
#186 Posted: 16:55:16 14/10/2010

Actually I felt it was a massive dissapointment.

Quote: Bolt
6/10

Too many plothholes...

I give the game, overall, 1.9/10. It was just... I can't say. Lets check the dictonary.
Stupid, Silly, Pointless, Pitiful, Rip-Off, Time-Waster, Plot-Holey, The F Word, Must I go on?

Sorry about the angry smileys
I did a Symbol that I use meaning diaaspointing and it turned out as angry smileys. Sorry.
---
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#187 Posted: 02:08:20 15/10/2010
No need to bash it.. we get you dislike it. A lot.
#188 Posted: 17:57:10 21/10/2010
Quote: Darby

1. I'm not bashing. My previous review was, in a word, non-describtive so I re-wrote it.
  2. I posted again because of those smileys. Now, I was worried I would get bashed for putting them there. I was intent on discovering why they were there.
  3. Yes I do dislike it. I posted here also because every topic I go on I state my opinion and noobish DotD fans say; "git ov u retard thiz iz for dotd fanz only, find a new topic". If I cannot say how I dislike it here where do I say? Create a "who hatess dotd?" topic and get bashed?

Sorry if this sounded rude, it's meant to be in a different tone.
---
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#189 Posted: 20:07:45 21/10/2010
Quote:
Stupid, Silly, Pointless, Pitiful, Rip-Off, Time-Waster, Plot-Holey, The F Word, Must I go on?

That part is what made it sound like you were bashing it.
I'm just saying you could have said it was a dissapointment, and stated what you disliked about it, instead of calling it all of that with no back up. That makes it sound like you're bashing it, to me at least.. Sorry. But I understand where you're coming from I suppose.
#190 Posted: 23:35:58 26/12/2010
Quote: Shadowdragon21

Story: 3/10 Not an interesting story at all.

Yay...!
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#191 Posted: 04:41:23 02/01/2011
Quote: Malefor0001
and Cynder's in it. God no.

I understand your review. However, I feel as though this is a stupid reason to help give a game a bad rating.

That's like asking me to quit bashing on ETD: We can try, but we just can't do it.

I'll make my review once I replay it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:41:45 02/01/2011 by CAV
Hayjaykay Blue Sparx Gems: 503
#192 Posted: 02:44:36 07/01/2011
Sorry Meh Don't Have The Game Yet.........
---
I'm the genus, you do the math......
#193 Posted: 11:56:28 16/01/2011
Once I get an account for some kind of reviewing site, I'll post a link to my review here, because apparently it goes over the post character limit. Hmm, probably wouldn't if there weren't so many plotholes. >>'

Story = 0/10
Okay, WTFH was this meant to be? First, they Grew inside the Crystal. Please, and why would Malefors Minions release them in the first place? So that Malefor could fight them? Dear God, what rubbish. Then the fact Malefor was trying to create a new world... utter rubbish. Please, he's meant to be evil. Plus, they could Fly over the Ring of Fire, as the Flying Islands were over the Ring of Fire and they reached them? Just an exuse to replace Sparx.

YOU JUST WON THE GAME.

GM's quickrate System(Console rating first then DS rating):

Gameplay- 7.5 and 8.5 Somewhat overrated on console, but highly underrated on the DS.

Mechanics/Control- 7.5 and 9 Nothing to say here but that the mechanics on console were either underused or annoyingly implemented.

Graphics- 7.5 and 8 The graphics are good for a DS game, but if they used the same engine obviously the score would be lower. However, they couldn't have at all.

Soundtrack- 7 and 8 Too many reused themes and no standouts.

Storyline- 1 and 7.5 Horrible on console and average on DS due to many missing plotholes.

Polish- 7 and 8 The storyline was polished beyond terribly on the console, but apart from that I have nothing to complain about with it.

Difficulty/Extras- 6.5 and 7 Too easy or too hard. More challenging and balanced on DS but with a lot less collectables and length.

Voice acting- 8.5[for both] It was acceptable but lacked in emotion at parts. I don't see why people complain about Ricci. I think her voice fit DoTD Cynder. However, I can see how it wouldn't fit her other forms.

Lipsync/Design- 5.5 and 7 Poor mouth movements and level layout as well as a completely different design. May as well have stamped this as a completely different series with that sector.

Execution- 4 and 7.5 Similar situation to the storyline, better on DS because of missing parts.

Overall- 6.2 and 7.9 Read everything above. Or, for a mix of the two and a rating of both versions together, it would get 7(7.05, to be exact). Please note these scores are of an average and are not completely accurate for my opinion. However, they are pretty close.
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 11:56:48 25/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
#194 Posted: 10:55:15 20/01/2011
I got the DS version. I haven't finished it though, I'll review it when I do.
---
#195 Posted: 12:08:38 25/01/2011
Quote: HIR
Despite some awkward motion controls... I think the Wii version was the best. According to Razz, the critics would agree with that as well. <.<;

Apart from the DS version... I actually have to agree after playing through it again. :/

Wow. So the PS2 and PS3 versions got lower than the DS version? I'm both amazed and glorified by this news. Not because I dislike the console version, but because I hate Sony. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:10:52 25/01/2011 by GamingMaster_76
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#196 Posted: 08:42:52 27/01/2011
I agree with everything Malefor said. If you compare this game to a game like The Legend of Zelda and other games, it's total crap. Heck I don't even know why I still have it lying around inside my drawer. I should just go and sell it. I could get at lest $40 from it.

1. I'm not bashing. My previous review was, in a word, non-describtive so I re-wrote it.
  2. I posted again because of those smileys. Now, I was worried I would get bashed for putting them there. I was intent on discovering why they were there.
  3. Yes I do dislike it. I posted here also because every topic I go on I state my opinion and noobish DotD fans say; "git ov u retard thiz iz for dotd fanz only, find a new topic". If I cannot say how I dislike it here where do I say? Create a "who hatess dotd?" topic and get bashed?

Sorry if this sounded rude, it's meant to be in a different tone.

Exactly. We should be aloud to say that we hate the game without fans complaining. >.>

If you guys complain about us bashing DotD, then how about you guys stop bashing ETD then?
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:50:18 27/01/2011 by DarkCynder_543
spyro14ever Green Sparx Gems: 374
#197 Posted: 14:15:49 27/01/2011
6/10

Too many plothholes...

I find it hilarious that people shave off tons of points for plotholes >.>

What if people gave Super Mario Bros. a 1/10 for lack of story? HAHA
---
Dawn of the Dragon is the best Spyro game since the original trilogy.
Better? No.
Awesome? Yes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:18:13 27/01/2011 by spyro14ever
#198 Posted: 22:14:31 27/01/2011
Quote: spyro14ever
6/10

Too many plothholes...

I find it hilarious that people shave off tons of points for plotholes >.>

What if people gave Super Mario Bros. a 1/10 for lack of story? HAHA

That's a brilliant point....the only Classic Spyro game that had a good story that felt original was Spyro 3, yet nobody docks points from those games for story....
---
#199 Posted: 22:16:52 27/01/2011
Because back in the days of those games, no game relied on story....

In my opinion, you either do a great story, or you just don't bother with one.
---
#200 Posted: 22:17:23 27/01/2011
Those games had a simple story, not a bad story.

That's on of the reasons the Classics were great the the first place. They were praised for their simplicity.
First | Previous | Page 4 of 7 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me