Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Green Shroomboom spotted at the Times Square ToysRUs
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Green Shroomboom spotted at the Times Square ToysRUs [CLOSED]
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#1 Posted: 13:25:19 26/05/2014 | Topic Creator
So, the most elusive Skylander of them all has finally shown his face.. Green Shroomboom has been spotted at ToysRUs Times Square during the full release of Doom Stone.

http://www.sandycrocs.com/skyl...om/#lightbox/9/
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:28:55 27/05/2014 by Matteomax
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#2 Posted: 14:14:01 26/05/2014
someone in NY found him a the times square TRU.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#3 Posted: 15:56:57 26/05/2014
Quote: ZapNorris

Oh god your avatar is that scary new mcdonalds mascot!
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#4 Posted: 16:34:20 26/05/2014
Quote: SlayerX11

yeah, i know.

there's a thread all about him over in stuff and nonsense, check it out if you like.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#5 Posted: 19:27:59 26/05/2014
Quote: Matteomax
So, the most elusive Skylander of them all is popping up on eBay lately. I've seen a total of 7 sell on eBay, some recent, some old.

Can some sort of employee break the ice on whether he was released or not?

I'll be able to nab one for $10 soon, let's keep it up. Gotta love the idiot seller putting up the Q/A asking how much he would pay for the item. I'll be happy to pay $9.99 plus applicable shipping.

Quote: SlayerX11

That's a crap mascot. I'll take old school Hamburglar, Grimace, Mayor McCheese any day.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:32:38 26/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#6 Posted: 20:15:06 26/05/2014
anyone got a picture of it?
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
SandyCrocs Green Sparx Gems: 116
#7 Posted: 22:48:43 26/05/2014
So, the most elusive Skylander of them all is popping up on eBay lately. I've seen a total of 7 sell on eBay, some recent, some old.

We found one about 2 weeks ago at the TRU in Times Square NYC. They had about 10 in total. You can see some of our pics here:

http://www.sandycrocs.com/skyl...lic-shroomboom/
#8 Posted: 00:28:44 27/05/2014
Quote: SandyCrocs

We found one about 2 weeks ago at the TRU in Times Square NYC. They had about 10 in total. You can see some of our pics here:

Get ready for the Green Shroom invasion. Soon to overflood stores near you.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Thunder_Cracker Blue Sparx Gems: 811
#9 Posted: 00:36:08 27/05/2014
Quote: GhostRoaster

I think they should flood the market with all the rares. Let people pay crazy money for them and then dump a bunch on the market.
#10 Posted: 00:51:01 27/05/2014

I think he will eventually hit the shelves just like metallic Gill Grunt and if that's the case then I would really hate to be the person that just won this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metall...cvip=true&rt=nc
#11 Posted: 01:01:43 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you so much for posting that! My fingers are crossed that he shows up.. Or else I'll have to take a trip up there soon.
---
#12 Posted: 01:17:56 27/05/2014
Thank you so much for posting that! My fingers are crossed that he shows up.. Or else I'll have to take a trip up there soon.

No problem. Green/Metallic Shroomboom says "Special" when you place him on the portal as opposed to it saying "Rare" so I think he'll be at every Toys R Us eventually.
#13 Posted: 01:30:44 27/05/2014

No problem. Green/Metallic Shroomboom says "Special" when you place him on the portal as opposed to it saying "Rare" so I think he'll be at every Toys R Us eventually.

I think someone should scrape the paint underneath. I'm of the opinion that they repainted the overstocked items and swapped the chips as a way to sell them. As everyone recalls, this little guy stayed on the shelf FOREVER.
---
#14 Posted: 01:33:52 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator

I think someone should scrape the paint underneath. I'm of the opinion that they repainted the overstocked items and swapped the chips as a way to sell them. As everyone recalls, this little guy stayed on the shelf FOREVER.

The metallic figures are pure black plastic with glitter "infused" into it. I have an orange-baseless Metallic Gilly if you want pictures.
---
#15 Posted: 01:36:49 27/05/2014
Nope. I still find it curious, however. Especially with a S2 Shroomy on the horizon.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:37:06 27/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
#16 Posted: 01:49:30 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Nope. I still find it curious, however. Especially with a S2 Shroomy on the horizon.

It seems like they're doing it just to make him more popular. People like him, but people dislike the fact that he was in way too many packs.

S2 Shroomboom looks interesting, though. Wonder how he'll do in stores.
---
#17 Posted: 01:53:33 27/05/2014

That's a possibility. I wouldn't mind trying that if I can get my hands on a second one.
#18 Posted: 10:57:15 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Look in the base, that's what he would look like; pure black with hints of glitter.
[User Posted Image]

(Sorry for the shoddy pic quality)
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#19 Posted: 13:14:34 27/05/2014

i will not buy it, i got two already... and two of him are too much as it is.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#20 Posted: 13:58:15 27/05/2014
Yeah, nothing reminds me of the repetitiveness of how they market these figures when I go to do quests and I have 4 of these, 6 of those, 5 of these...3 of those.
---
#21 Posted: 18:39:08 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
SandyCrocs, do you think you could post pictures of the barcode at the bottom of the box? That would help out tremendously.
---
#22 Posted: 22:40:26 27/05/2014
SandyCrocs, do you think you could post pictures of the barcode at the bottom of the box? That would help out tremendously.

Sure thing, just go to this link and scroll down to the pics. There you will find a pic of the barcode.

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:45:52 27/05/2014 by SandyCrocs
#23 Posted: 23:03:45 27/05/2014

I've got my Shroomies all boxed up, is the bc the same?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:03:57 27/05/2014 by GhostRoaster
#24 Posted: 01:04:51 28/05/2014 | Topic Creator
It has a unique barcode.
It doesn't work with ToysRUs' app.
---
Sharpeido Green Sparx Gems: 258
#25 Posted: 09:38:02 28/05/2014
I do not think he will be common. Metallic Gill Grunt is worded on the box, as where shroomboom does not have that wording on his packaging. Chase variants are not labeled, they are in regular packaging. Just my opinion.
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#26 Posted: 05:01:08 29/05/2014
Quote: Sharpeido
I do not think he will be common. Metallic Gill Grunt is worded on the box, as where shroomboom does not have that wording on his packaging. Chase variants are not labeled, they are in regular packaging. Just my opinion.

Why call it a chase variant? This was seen in significant quantities on hooks at the TRU in Times Square. Chase variants aren't seen in groups of 20 in stores. I do agree that it's quite odd that such a large quantity of them were shipped to this one particular TRU store. It's a moot point now...I'm sure that since this thread started, some jerk went into the store & bought out the remaining stock.
IWHBYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1274
#27 Posted: 05:26:41 29/05/2014
I find it odd that this person took pictures of the single item and not the racks with 20+ of this item... I also find it odd that this store had 20+ yet nobody is trying to cash in on these knowing there current rarity on Ebay... Just a couple things to keep in mind. Also it is really late in the game for Activision to flood the market with a figure from Giants, Red Camo and Crystal Whirlwind came out late but in very small quantities.
---
Latest Purchases: http://i.imgur.com/jD6ExG4.jpg
Owner of every Skylander released including variants all brand new in box.
Shroomy_Boomy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1143
#28 Posted: 10:40:24 29/05/2014
I don't understand why they keep going back to make more variants for older games instead of their current game, Swap Force?? It seems so weird to me that a game would go back to old games for enhancements... Diablo isn't going to release a new expansion pack for Diablo II, it would be for their current game, Diablo III. I don't understand Skylanders' logic on this...! lol
---
67/67+GITD:smiliesmiliesmilieAEsmilie ROCKsmilie&smilieGLITTERsmilie&smilieSNOWsmilie

37/37+All Sidekix~WERDS~Blusmilie~Flockedsmilie~GITDsmilie~GREENsmilie~CLEARsmilie~CHROMEsmilie
Eggers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1305
#29 Posted: 12:07:46 29/05/2014
Quote: Shroomy_Boomy
I don't understand why they keep going back to make more variants for older games instead of their current game, Swap Force?? It seems so weird to me that a game would go back to old games for enhancements... Diablo isn't going to release a new expansion pack for Diablo II, it would be for their current game, Diablo III. I don't understand Skylanders' logic on this...! lol

Maybe Swap Force isn't as popular in terms of sales as the first two games were. If so, it would make sense to make random variants for the better selling titles, especially if people are still grabbing those toys at the stores. Then again, the ridiculous non in-game variants are pointless to me to begin with anyway.
---
Rainbows are nature's rainbows!
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#30 Posted: 13:15:28 29/05/2014
Quote: Shroomy_Boomy

Because Skylanders is different. The toys that were made for the previous games still work on the newer games. There is still a demand for them because of which (especially characters that weren't reposed for the current game). Activision is still pushing them out (although not as heavy as their current game stuff) because of that demand. Then as new people get the latest game, they want to go back and get the previous games and figures. We didn't get into Skylanders until Giants, so I had went back to get SSA and try to find the characters from SSA that weren't available for Giants. Releasing painted variants of figures from previous games isn't like releasing an expansion for an old game. It's a totally different situation. They understand there are collectors out there, so to bring attention to their on going lines of previous figures, they throw out a chase variant or two to make collector's keep looking when those same people have probably already gotten all the figures and aren't looking at Skylanders any more. It's a great way of keeping awareness and attention drawn to their different product lines.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#31 Posted: 15:40:38 29/05/2014
I shall call this release Skylanders: Shroomboom's Revenge -TODAY, TIMES SQUARE TRU. TOMORROW THE WORLD.- Soon to overflood a store near you.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#32 Posted: 16:55:23 29/05/2014
I hope this does mean he goes common. I like Shroomboom's figure and really like the green look on Gil Grunt (he looks like a trophy).
#33 Posted: 18:00:39 29/05/2014
I would like to have him, but after being burned on SE Gilly I'm not taking the bait until he's out in larger numbers.
---
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#34 Posted: 18:08:48 29/05/2014
I would like to have him, but after being burned on SE Gilly I'm not taking the bait until he's out in larger numbers.

I wouldn't bite on ANY rare variant until the next game comes out. We have four full months of pretty much nothing coming out. Who knows if Activision will decide they would like some more money in the meantime and make up a batch of some previously rare figure. After Trap Team they will have plenty of regular stuff to sell.
#35 Posted: 18:10:47 29/05/2014
I think the E3 variants and fair exclusives are safe, but yeah, good point.
---
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#36 Posted: 04:05:07 24/06/2014
So yeah, he supposedly appeared at TRU in New York and now we don't hear anything about him since then?
---
bye
#37 Posted: 13:09:03 24/06/2014 | Topic Creator
I got nothing. Called them multiple times and they haven't gotten in any more.
---
Trexroarr Gold Sparx Gems: 2219
#38 Posted: 16:23:01 24/06/2014
I went to the Times Square TRU like 3-4 days after this was reported. My friend and I looked everywhere. Found nothing...
---
Skylanders Collection smilie
78 S1 + 37 S2 + 16 S3 + 1 S4 + 19 LC + 8 Minis + 12 G + 25 SF + 13 TM + 2 EE + 34 Traps + 39 Items = 284 + 11 Chase = 295 Total
#39 Posted: 18:26:35 24/06/2014
Quote: newkill
So yeah, he supposedly appeared at TRU in New York and now we don't hear anything about him since then?

My post from a month ago:

"I find it odd that this person took pictures of the single item and not the racks with 20+ of this item... I also find it odd that this store had 20+ yet nobody is trying to cash in on these knowing there current rarity on Ebay... Just a couple things to keep in mind. Also it is really late in the game for Activision to flood the market with a figure from Giants, Red Camo and Crystal Whirlwind came out late but in very small quantities."

No way this was ever legit, there would be a ton of them on ebay by now.
---
#40 Posted: 18:34:11 24/06/2014 | Topic Creator
It was 100% legit. Every time I asked to speak with a manager, they said that they only had one box of them, and haven't gotten any more in.

Plus, every employee I talked with said they got them in, and sold out quickly..
---
#41 Posted: 19:07:34 24/06/2014
It was 100% legit. Every time I asked to speak with a manager, they said that they only had one box of them, and haven't gotten any more in.

Plus, every employee I talked with said they got them in, and sold out quickly..

Come on, you know better than that. One store randomly got a whole box of these? None of them showed up on Ebay? Nobody got a picture of them in store? Employees didn't buy them before reaching the floor?
---
#42 Posted: 19:22:32 24/06/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: IWHBYD

Come on, you know better than that. One store randomly got a whole box of these? None of them showed up on Ebay? Nobody got a picture of them in store? Employees didn't buy them before reaching the floor?

The ToysRUs in Times Square is the flagship ToysRUs. It's huge.
They're notorious for the huge crowds of people they bring everyday.

Before we knew about this, several Shroombooms showed up on eBay. I messaged one of the sellers (who, in the description, said that it was the last one he saw), and he told me that he bought it from Times Square, on the day of Doom Stone's full release.

I seriously don't think that SandyCrocs, someone who has been to Toy Fair, would lie about this.

Also, bring that barcode to your local ToysRUs and have them scan it. It has a unique box assortment.
---
#43 Posted: 19:30:22 24/06/2014
Quote: IWHBYD

The ToysRUs in Times Square is the flagship ToysRUs. It's huge.
They're notorious for the huge crowds of people they bring everyday.

Before we knew about this, several Shroombooms showed up on eBay. I messaged one of the sellers (who, in the description, said that it was the last one he saw), and he told me that he bought it from Times Square, on the day of Doom Stone's full release.

I seriously don't think that SandyCrocs, someone who has been to Toy Fair, would lie about this.

Also, bring that barcode to your local ToysRUs and have them scan it. It has a unique box assortment.

Being to a Toy Fair makes you some sort of Skylander Deity now? Why would Sandy (who took all of these pictures of a single Shroom Boom knowing how rare this item is) not snap a picture of the 10 that they had in the store when they got theirs? It doesn't add up.
---
Thunder_Cracker Blue Sparx Gems: 811
#44 Posted: 20:01:53 24/06/2014
Always so skeptical.
#45 Posted: 22:34:16 24/06/2014
Quote: Thunder_Cracker
Always so skeptical.

I've been around long enough to know that people make things up, whether it's to annoy, anger, disappoint people or just to get attention. Especially on the internet where it's almost entirely anonymous. Like I have said before none of this adds up.
---
lcopley98 Blue Sparx Gems: 725
#46 Posted: 22:48:49 24/06/2014
I'm not sure why it is such a huge deal to argue over.
---
Casual Skylander Gamer
Nuzlocke Challenge http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/posttopic.php?forum=56&post=true
#47 Posted: 01:47:51 25/06/2014
Quote: lcopley98
I'm not sure why it is such a huge deal to argue over.

Unless these are 9.99 or 10.99, and available in obscene quantities...there isn't anything to talk about.
---
Kung Fu Man Gold Sparx Gems: 2120
#48 Posted: 02:40:04 25/06/2014
Hate to say it but part of the problem is IHWBYD spent probably a pretty penny securing that one given how rare they are. Suddenly finding out they're extremely common would upset anyone, especially after several people secured two of the items in his post on chase variants rather cheaply.
#49 Posted: 09:01:12 25/06/2014
Quote: Kung Fu Man
Hate to say it but part of the problem is IHWBYD spent probably a pretty penny securing that one given how rare they are. Suddenly finding out they're extremely common would upset anyone, especially after several people secured two of the items in his post on chase variants rather cheaply.

It wouldn't upset me at all if these did show up at retail, that's the risk you take in acquiring rare figures, at some point they may become just another figure. If I was concerned about the money I wouldn't be "investing" in Skylanders. My problem is if you're going to claim that there are 10 of a currently super rare figure on a shelf at a store I just believe you should back it up with some actual evidence, this is how misinformation spreads and it creates confusion within the community. Which figures are you referring to several people securing rather cheaply? I haven't really kept up if something else has seen a wide release that was once rare.
---
#50 Posted: 11:32:53 25/06/2014
Quote: Kung Fu Man

I spent hundreds on Green Gill Grunt, and we know what happened there. Activision has actually provided a disincentive to me in spending real money on those things, as they have proven to me to have changed on a dime. I'm also tired of these "employee" variants. And the four dozen characters for the game instead of two dozen. But I digress.
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me