Page 1 of 1
Newbie Questions [CLOSED]
SoraZero Green Sparx Gems: 109
#1 Posted: 20:46:38 20/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Hi all, newbie here.

I've just acquired a second-hand copy of the game (xBox 360) with a portal and a hanful of figures (Spyro, Fish Face, Trigger Happy, Drobot and a glow in the dark Cynder with orange base).

Now, first of all, I haven't tryed Cynder as the web is somewhat unclear on the subject if it will work with Spyro Adventure (being a Giants figure). Some sources say yes, some say no. Other say yes but with limited functionality.
Also, I've read that Giants figures can be leveled up to lvl15. If this figure is of a level higer than 10, and I put it on the Portal linked to the first game, what will happen? The only thing that bothers me is getting a dead toy (the internet is very scary on the matter smilie). I plan to reset it anyway, so losing levels past 10 will not be an issue. Also, if I start experiencing it with Spyro Adventure, could I bring it past level 10 once I'll eventually use it on Giants?

Other questions: are the toys waterproof? I plan to repaint some of them, and I would likely wash them with soapy water before painting (to remove dirt/grease).

Out of curiosity: the alt paint figures (Dark, Legendary, Punch Popfizz, and so on) have the alt paint scheme showed in game, too, or it's just the toy to be different?

Thanks in advance smilie
---
155 characters are way too few to write anything relevant...
#2 Posted: 20:52:25 20/05/2014 | Topic Creator
One more question: what exactly the Adventure Packs bring to the game? A figure, two items (watched videos on YT), but the scenery piece? What it does?
---
Dyno-Mite Ripto Gems: 92
#3 Posted: 20:54:48 20/05/2014
Hey, SoraZero! Cynder will work with Spyro's Adventure, as will everyone who originated in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. A re-release of a figure from a past game (repose) has a special new power that is not available on any past games but only on the game the repose debuted with and future games. Your Cynder will act the same in the first game as a green-base one. As for leveling up, something over level 10 in Giants will be Level 10 in Spyro's Adventure, and back to it's original level in Giants and Swap Force. No dead toy comes from the backwards or forwards compatibility. Yes, you can level up all Skylanders past 10 in Giants. Toys are waterproof, yes. Alternative paint figures are sometimes in the game with that paint job, it depends on the figure. There are two types of variants - chase and in-game. Chase variants are usually a solid color, or fuzzy, and randomly appear (usually less than 5000 each in the wild) while in-game variants actually appear in game. You can tell the difference because in-game variants have a unique name on the package - like Dark Spyro or Legendary Trigger Happy.
#4 Posted: 21:03:55 20/05/2014 | Topic Creator
WOW, thank you for the very fast reply!
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#5 Posted: 21:07:57 20/05/2014
Cynder will work on SSA . What you have is a series 2 Cynder which means on Giants game she has an extra skill but she will work like an original series one Cynder in SSA game .

On SSA all your figures you have can only reach level 10 . If your figure was played with before and leveled beyond 10 it will just show as 10 on SSA . If your toy is dead nothing will happen if you put it on the portal .

I dont know if its waterproof.

Dark, Legendary, Punch Popfizz figures show up as they are in their current game they were meant for . A legendary Ignitor or Polar Whirlwind made for Giants will have the same colour scheme but will show up as original coloured characters in SSA .

Your Dark Spyro S1 will look dark in all games . 3DS Dark spyro has totally different powers .

Silver boomer or gold flameslinger or Blue bash or glow in the dark show up in original colours
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:20:38 27/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#6 Posted: 21:27:58 20/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you, too smilie

Anything on Adventure Packs? are they worth getting?
---
#7 Posted: 00:18:06 21/05/2014
Yes they are great fun . Probably a bit shorter then you would like . The main attraction is an extra skylander and magic spell toys you can use for your main game.

You get one skylander ,
One level toy which unlocks the level also acts as a mass damage spell .
Two spell buff toys .
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:18:57 21/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#8 Posted: 08:33:56 21/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thank you again smilie

A couple more questions, if you don't mind... smilie

1) just to be sure, Spyro Adventure's toys will not level up to 15 nor have the new power in Giants, right?
To be able to raise them up to lvl 15 I will need the Giant reposed figure, isn.t it?
Do the Characters new to Giants (i.e. Jet Vac) level up to 15 ?

2) What are the "chibi" versions of some Skylanders?
I've seen smaller, kid-like versions of some Skylanders, and wondering if they appear small in the game, or they're just another repose... oddily the iOS app doesn't lists them.

3) Does the game differentiate between multiple copies of the same figure?
Say I have two Cynders, would the game distinguish them showing different levels, upgrades, money, hats, etc... for each of them?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:39:48 21/05/2014 by SoraZero
#9 Posted: 09:38:20 21/05/2014
Ohh i like this

1. No . If you want to get to level 15 and beyond you need to buy the Giants or Swopforce game . Even if your series one toys are level 15 when you play SSA they will only show level 10 .

Reposed figures will have an extra power but you will only see it in the Giants / Swopforce games. All characters new and old level up to 15 . In Swopforce everyone levels up to 20.

2. Those are called sidekicks . They dont do anything literally. They just automatically follow your skylander around . Its silly fun . Yes they appear small in the game .

If you have Skylanders Lost Islands App game they actually become useful.

3. Yes . Each toy has a chip which records that certain toys progress .
---
#10 Posted: 10:48:51 21/05/2014
If you come across these Skylanders, you should probably get them as they are the rarest: Ghost Roaster smilie, Boomer smilie, Dino-Rang smilie, Sunburn smilie, and Voodood smilie. These are the "forgotten five" who haven't been re-released since the first game came out (except for Dino-Rang, but he didn't have a new pose just a promotion for the series 1 version).
#11 Posted: 12:10:59 21/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Once more thanks everyone for replies and advice. Today I'll go hunt for a (possibly discounted) starter of Giants smilie

This game is amazing. While I recognize it as a kid-game, I can't help smiling for every little noises the critters do (Trigger Happy when get excited for gold is my fav), or the little touches as sheeps reacting to weapons (they're wolly, so shrink if wet smilie), or every time I get a new hat smilie

Yesterday the game froze during a toy swap. I feared the worst, but once I've restarted the xBox and the game, I tested the two Skylanders I was swapping and both were fine, phew! smilie

If I had read correctly on the web, Giants has a function to recover dead toys (just the Skylander, not the progress), is this true?

Oh, and I don't like very much the look of any of Fire SA Skylanders, but I would like to get at least one for each element. From a gameplay standpoint, what could be the most fun to use? (not necessarly the strongest).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:14:02 21/05/2014 by SoraZero
#12 Posted: 13:53:07 21/05/2014
If a toy is dead , it means the chip is fried . Nothing will save it . But dont worry that is very very rare .

Oh trust us resistence is futile . Sooner or later for some unexplained reason you are going to fall in love with all of them. Fire landers included . Whats your preference basically ?

Do you like weapons ? Play with Flameslinger
If you like Dragons play with Sunburn
Monster is Eruptor
Half weapon / half Monster is Ignitor

Easiest Skylander to find is Eruptor since he has the most poses . Latest pose of Eruptor < Lava barf Eruptor > will give you extra powers for later games . Older Eruptors is easier on the wallet .

I personally try to buy older skylanders first . The game rewards you for having more skylanders . If you buy 3 oldies for the price of one newbie you get more in game benefits .
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 00:27:49 27/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#13 Posted: 14:34:59 21/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Uhm... Interesting point of view. I' ve just found a Giants triple pack for the price of a single figure, and was wondering what to get. just Stealth Elf 2 or Pop Fizz, Whirlwind, Trigger Happy?
Price is the same, and 3 is better than 1, but the Elf is a figure I really want, while the ones in the pack would cover elements I already have Skylanders of (Warnado coming from Amazon, speaking of figures hard to find).

Regarding fire, maybe Ignitor is the one I like the most (apart Hot Dog, but he will not function in the first game).

Thank you smilie

Edit: found Dinorang. Didn't got it for now (they had two). Will check gameplay vids then decide smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:55:52 21/05/2014 by SoraZero
#14 Posted: 15:54:45 21/05/2014
Well until you get giants , Pop Fizz is no good to you and you already have a Trigger Happy. I would suggest dig a bit for a couple more days and explore other shops . If you still found nothing better GO Stealth Elf 2 .

There is a Giants 3 pack with Stealth Elf , Eruptor and Terrafin .

See if they have a clearance sale on SSA 3DS . I paid 10 bucks for my SSA 3DS , Thats has Stealth Elf , Ignitor and Dark Spyro . Even if you dont have a 3DS , you can make use of the mini portal and those toys .

There is some great SSA and Giant bargains now because of shops making space for Swopforce and Trapteam .
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 16:02:50 21/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#15 Posted: 16:08:15 21/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks, checked various shps. For now, the most interesting deals are the above 3pack (10€), and Giants starter (20€). Since the Giants starter is the full version (portal and smaller figs), and is available for every platform, I was thinking if would be wiser getting it again for 360 or another platform, just in case...

Other interesting finds: Dinorang, discounted Giant of techno (15€), they also had Eye Brawl (the one I'm eyeing (eh? eh? smilie) the most, atm) but sadly at full price. A couple of giants' lightcores, but very pricey (15€).

For now i think I'll get Giants starter and maybe the 3pack.
The other stuff... I can get it same price or cheaper online...
---
#16 Posted: 17:04:16 21/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Ok, back home. I've checked four shops in town center, best deals were in the first one.

Got Giants full starter for PS3 and the 3-pack just because when i first walked in there were two, when I came back only one was left.
Stealth Elf will be next, there are 5 pieces. And in another shop two copies of DinoRang. I think these two will be next, but since they were full price there's no need to hurry, right?

Unfortunately, no DS starters, apart Swap Force ones...

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

On a side note, it's scary the way these little critters have doubled their number in my house in just a couple of days... smilie
---
#17 Posted: 17:58:15 21/05/2014
Congratulations Mighty Portal Master . smilie

Now dont forget . You did not choose your skylanders , They chose you . Not because of your seas of gold but because you are naturally talented .

If you have a Smart phone or Ipad you can download Skylanders Lost islands for free and use the webcodes your Skylander toys came with to summon them.

Quote:
On a side note, it's scary the way these little critters have doubled their number in my house in just a couple of days... smilie

Oh thats nothing to be alarmed about . Its just a minor side effect of your talent. More and more Skylanders will want to flock to your side to serve you .

Also playing on this forum feeds the addiction . The only known cure is to buy just one more .
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 18:49:31 21/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#18 Posted: 14:50:43 26/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Dark fhoenix
The only known cure is to buy just one more .

Please, don't instigate me =)

[User Posted Image]

I don't need to be encouraged in this... smilie;
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:51:57 26/05/2014 by SoraZero
#19 Posted: 17:52:30 26/05/2014
Hello hello hello ?

Did legendary Trigger Happy which is an animated statue of trigger happy not to be confused with a normal living trigger happy join your army ? smilie Score !!! i am dying for a legendary bash to choose me

Ooh stump smash s1 and a lightcore prism break . Those light cores take way too much flak in this forum . They are great for nightmare levels .

Dont forget your Lightcore Warriors are never the first on the battlefield . Use your normal lander to bait the evil monsters closer then beam in your Warrior of Light and FLASH BANG EM .
---
#20 Posted: 18:25:54 26/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Yeah, now I have 3 Trigger Happys (Happies?), and I don't even have all elements yet (still missing Fire). Thinking on finding a new home for the regular SSA one, keeping just the Legendary and Giants ones.

On Lightcores, what are the nicer ones to get? Seen a couple in YT vids, and Drobot seems really meh.
What about Flashwing? looking at the clear areas in the unlit figure, it seems promising...

i am dying for a legendary bash to choose me

Seen one 2nd hand at the local GS, right today. And checking eBay it doesn't seem as a hard to find one...
---
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#21 Posted: 18:38:01 26/05/2014
Lightcore Flashwing is great. The best Lightcore are:

Pop Fizz
Shroomboom
Jet-Vac
Warnado
Flashwing
Wham-Shell
---
#22 Posted: 18:42:29 26/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks, will try to get the later two, as I don't have any version of those characters smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:43:12 26/05/2014 by SoraZero
#23 Posted: 00:32:48 27/05/2014
Quote:
Stealth Elf will be next, there are 5 pieces. And in another shop two copies of DinoRang. I think these two will be next,

What happened to those skylanders ?
---
#24 Posted: 08:40:19 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
On Stealth Elf, I've managed to find a cheap(ish) 3DS starter online. As you suggested to get it if I ever had the chance, I did. Currently waiting it. By the way, you said I could make use of the 3DS portal, right? May I ask how? (otherwise, I plan to try giving away portal and game).
About Dinorang, I've found a online shop that keeps discounted prices (and has Dinorang among others). Waiting nex salary to place a big(ish) order smilie
---
#25 Posted: 09:45:21 27/05/2014
The 3DS portal has a USB wire socket and cable . Just plug it into your console if you want to make use of it . First time little brother and I played PS3 SSA , we used the 3DS portal 90 percent of the time .

If it got too cramped up with extra magic buff toys or two Skylanders , we put a thin round plastic DVD top <It usually comes with empty DVD disks > . The PS3 wireless portal was tedious . You have to unscrew the bottom and pull out a thumbnail size memory stick and plug that into your console . Either you kept that thumbnail out and risk it getting lost or you put it back in in its holder which means screwing and unscrewing your PS3 portal bottom over and over again.

If you plan on giving the 3DS game away , unless your friend has a swopforce or giants 3DS portals , they very much need that mini portal . They can buy their own toys .

I suggest keep it in case you one day want to buy a 3DS game . Its a totally different game and your Skylanders play different . It is as difficult as the console game is easy .
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:27:36 27/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#26 Posted: 10:20:35 27/05/2014
Have you got Wrecking Ball?
---
#27 Posted: 11:03:47 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Once more, thank you Dark fhoenix for all your help.

@wreckingballbob: no I didn't got it yet, but it's among the ones I'd like to get sooner (maybe the Giants one).

Today I've received second hand Bash and Terrafin from a seller from France who ships free of charge even to foreign countries. Toys in great shape and overall great service. I'm especially fond of Bash: his animations are silly fun.
I hope Warnado from Amazon will arrive today, too smilie

Sure these little critters are addictive...
---
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#28 Posted: 13:25:12 27/05/2014
If you like robot, buy S2 Drill Sergeant smilie
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#29 Posted: 16:44:18 27/05/2014
ToysRUs always has an awesome stock of figures. Go there if you want some good deals and/or rarer characters.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#30 Posted: 18:48:21 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Drill Sergeant is already on my wish list smilie

Unfortunately, no Toys R Us here...
---
#31 Posted: 22:50:40 27/05/2014 | Topic Creator
I'm doing the "undead zone" (just got the key) and I was wondering if the other areas will ever open, or if I need the Adventure Packs to go beyond the closed areas (i.e. the one with the railway).

Also, will ever become useful to talk to the guy in suit? It keeps telling he didn't have anything for me atm...

And about the odd statue on the rock in the middle of the sea (the one I can reach with the "raft"), should I be already able to "use" it, or I need to gain some power of sort..?

Please, try to not spoil too much to me, just hints if I should be already able to interact with something of the above. In case they are things yet to come, please say nothing. Thanks! smilie

Oh, and Spyro is my first Skylander to reach lv.10, yay! smilie
---
Jonlander Green Sparx Gems: 433
#32 Posted: 05:11:06 28/05/2014
Just be patient and everything you just mentioned will become aparant.
#33 Posted: 08:01:58 28/05/2014
Yeah, you'll know if you keep playing.
---
#34 Posted: 08:28:59 28/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Thanks guys!

btw, family's growing:

[User Posted Image] smilie

Bash is my fav one, very fun to use. Warnado to the other hand has been slightly disappointing... very very slow and somewhat difficult to handle: the tornado are very short ranged, and the spin seems not very effective. Sometimes I have to attack twice to break crates/barrels! The figure (the reason for I've got it) is still awesome, though...
---
#35 Posted: 10:37:52 28/05/2014
Hey slow down Portal Master . You are making the rest of us look bad . smilie

Warnado speeds up later when you have the right power . Thank you for sharing all the lovely photos with us . Its really exciting .

Just curious . Which of your Skylanders have Cards and Webcodes ?
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 10:45:25 28/05/2014 by Dark fhoenix
#36 Posted: 10:50:08 28/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Just curious . Which of your Skylanders have Cards and Webcodes ?

All the ones I've purchased new, so:
the ones from Giants starter, Whirlwind 2, Warnado, Prism Break Lightcore, Legendary Trigger Happy, Trigger Happy 2, Pop Fizz, Hex.

But honestly, I don't care very much about them... I've used a code (Trigger Happy 2) to add a Skylander to the collection manager for iOS, but there's no gain, so I've added the others as "no code". It's quicker smilie
---
#37 Posted: 11:06:37 28/05/2014
If you decide one day to play Lost Islands on IOS or Smartphone , you can use the webcodes to summon your Skylanders.

Other than that yes its not a big deal .
---
#38 Posted: 13:04:12 28/05/2014 | Topic Creator
If you decide one day to play Lost Islands on IOS or Smartphone

Do you play the game? If you need some of the codes I have, feel free to ask and I'll pm them to you smilie
---
#39 Posted: 10:42:03 29/05/2014
Yes i play and i have my own codes thank you .

Hold on to your codes they only work 2 or 3 times.
---
#40 Posted: 11:55:40 29/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Ah, ok. I don't plan to play the game, but who knows...

Today arrived the 3DS stater, so it's time to run through the levels once more to unlock everything Fire-related, then I'll head toward Kaos smilie

Just to be sure, Swap Force figures works backward the same way as Giants ones, right? (i.e. Thorn Horn Camo would work on SSA, and Turbo Jet-Vac would work in Giants, isn't it?)
---
#41 Posted: 14:09:00 29/05/2014
Yes thats correct .

If any figure was in a previous game it works backwards . Thorn Horn Camo works on all games and Turbo Jet Vac works on Giants and Swopforce .
---
#42 Posted: 18:58:45 29/05/2014
Quote: SoraZero
Ah, ok. I don't plan to play the game, but who knows...

Today arrived the 3DS stater, so it's time to run through the levels once more to unlock everything Fire-related, then I'll head toward Kaos smilie

Just to be sure, Swap Force figures works backward the same way as Giants ones, right? (i.e. Thorn Horn Camo would work on SSA, and Turbo Jet-Vac would work in Giants, isn't it?)

Kaos isn't the villain in the 3DS versions.
#43 Posted: 21:27:55 29/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Dyno-Mite

Oh, didn't knew... Anyway, I was talking of xBox version. I don't even own a 3DS smilie

Anyway, I've just defeated Kaos. WTF he killed almost my entire collection LoL smilie Quite a spike in difficulty, huh? smilie
---
#44 Posted: 22:14:13 29/05/2014
Quote: SoraZero
Quote: Dyno-Mite

Oh, didn't knew... Anyway, I was talking of xBox version. I don't even own a 3DS smilie

Anyway, I've just defeated Kaos. WTF he killed almost my entire collection LoL smilie Quite a spike in difficulty, huh? smilie

Yep, only a handful of villains or even areas from the series on out will be even close to that difficult.
#45 Posted: 22:19:27 29/05/2014
I love erratic difficulties . Makes life spicy . Its a shame he is rather easy on giants .
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me