darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Swap Force > Skylanders Swap Force: Nightmare PvE Tier List
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders Swap Force: Nightmare PvE Tier List [CLOSED]
GoldenCamo Green Sparx Gems: 146
#1 Posted: 22:19:55 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
It’s been on my mind lately that I should create another tier list to go along with EgoNaut’s. I want to make it clear I don’t mean to personally tread on his territory; it’s that I disagree with the setup and the overall placement of characters. I am creating this tier list almost solely on my personal experiences and opinions, but other people’s experiences, opinions, and statistics are always welcome. I am human so do expect a few mistakes and bias, although I would like to eliminate as much of that as possible.

The structure system is simpler in terms of grouping, with three main groups and two smaller, extra groups that will have less competitors. The groups are (Near) Overpowered ( S ), Competitive ( A ), Decent ( B ), Underpowered ( C ), and Unfavorable ( U ). The order shall be in the following:

1. Near/Overpowered - S
2. Competitive – A
3. Decent – B
4. Underpowered – C
5. Unfavorable – U

There will be a better explanation for each ranking in the individual ranking posts. Each ranking will receive its respective post, because I would like to include brief descriptions (may be expanded into paragraphs) of each character’s respective ranking to make my point clearer.

Post Guide
#1 – Introduction
#2 – S Tier
#3 – A Tier
#4 – B Tier
#5 – C Tier
#6 – U Tier
#7 – Misc. (Future Uses may include unranked champions or more information).
#8 – Misc. (Future Uses may include unranked champions or more information).
---
https://www.youtube.com/channe...LwpvF3KB_FrPY8g <----- My Youtube!!!
SSA: 31/32 ; SG: 15/16 ; SSF: 21/32 ; STT: 0/X ; Total: 67/80+
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 12:31:04 04/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#2 Posted: 22:20:09 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Near/Overpowered Tier (S):

These characters can usually blaze through Story Chapters by themselves, and beat Survival arenas intended for levels higher than their own. If you want to Nuzlocke, these characters are usually the best choice given the characteristic overpowered attacks.

Characters:

~~Wrecking Ball: Total Tongue~~
Wrecking Ball is a great Skylander. His gas attack is great for crowd control, his tongue and ball does exceptional damage, and he has great stats to make up for his waddling (note: the fact I do not like how he walks does not affect tier position). On this path, the tongue does well over fifty damage, an amount that is crazy when you take into account its rapid use. The major plus of this path is picking up food and powerups from far away! Enemies over by the food? Shoot your tongue past them and grab your health back! It really makes the character useful, especially for co-op.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 19:30:56 03/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#3 Posted: 22:20:30 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Competitive Tier (A):

Those grouped here are very good Skylanders, especially solid and usually well-rounded. It might be a little difficult for higher challenges for them, held back by a lack of crowd control or lower health. They will have a difficult time defeating a boss on their own in Nightmare, but it indeed can be done.

Characters:

~~Wrecking Ball: Ultimate Spinner~~
Wrecking Ball's Ultimate Spinner path, in previous games, outranked Total Tongue greatly. This time around, in PvP at least, they are on par. Now, in PvE or story mode, Total Tongue prevails for several reasons. On this path, the spinner becomes the ultimate weapon, with some really good crowd control. You still can use the tongue effectively without being hindered by it's lack of development, and gas bombs are great ways to mow down those Chompies. The only complaint is the difficult of controlling the ball, which could end you up cornered without escape.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 19:29:51 03/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#4 Posted: 22:20:43 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Decent Tier (B):

These characters are good but not great when you want to go for the "No Deaths" sticker. You might only reach for them when you run out of great people, unless they are your favorite. Playing as them is a good way to challenge yourself, doing a Nuzlocke with them is an unfavorable decision if you aim to complete it.

Characters:

~~Trap Shadow: Feral Instincts/Prowler~~
Trap Shadow is indeed an interesting character. His claw attacks put on extremely heavy damage with Feral Instincts, but prepare to be caught wide open when using the uncancellable combos. His traps become of little use, except for complex hook 'n bait strategies, and his shadow kick is weak at best. The sneaking, however, is extremely useful and the paw prints to nice damage (often the enemies just walk right into them). His health is fine as well as his other stats. His mediocre speed is made up with the boost of prowl mode.

~~Trap Shadow: Trap Trickster/Prowler~~
This version of Trap Shadow goes a very different way with the Trap Trickster path. The claw attacks are still useful, but ultimately are overtaken by the traps. Only one trap is active at a time, greatly cutting down on the potential. Still, massive damage is done on a single enemy at one time which cannot be ignored. The shadow kick becomes a handy weapon once in a blue moon, but rarely replaces Traps for a ranged attack. The prowling is exceptional and a great way to mow down on tiny enemies.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:03:28 03/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#5 Posted: 22:20:56 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Underpowered Tier (C):

These characters may still be fun to play as, but are plagued with disabilities that make it difficult to progress using them. They are ultimately really weak or extremely slow but never both at once. You can still enjoy the game with these characters, but don't expect to beat a level deathless.

Characters:

~~Trap Shadow: Feral Instincts/Shadow Combat~~
The problem with Trap Shadow has always been useless moves, and with this pathset two moves become useless - the traps and the prowling. The claws are greatly upgraded damage-wise, showing significant improvement. However, be wary of a period of time when you are vulnerable performing a low-damage combo that you might involuntarily start. Traps are useless as weapons, and prowling does little except act as a speed move. Your shadow kick, while upgraded, isn't much better and will rarely be used, leaving only clawing as a valuable attack.

~~Trap Shadow: Trap Trickster/Shadow Combat~~
This is a strange pathset for Trap Shadow, discouraging the use of claws (which still are handy) and prowling (which is not handy anymore). The traps are so limiting because you can only have a single one active at a time, and the shadow kick doesn't do enough damage to warrant the path choice. The lack of crowd control is so alarming, it hurts. Ganged up on by some Chompies and Greebles, this variation of Trap has little to to be to flee or be feed upon. With a game like Skylanders, this situation happens often, leaving Trap Shadow underpowered.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:48:31 03/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#6 Posted: 22:21:06 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Unfavorable Tier (U):

The ultimate fodder tier, and the mirror of S Tier. These characters are utterly horrible to play as, often lacking power, stats, and/or crowd control. It is overwhelmingly difficult to use these characters, and use is strongly discouraged. Some of these characters still have enjoyable gameplay, but be warned of the inevitably short time period you have with them.

Characters:

~~Dune Bug: Dune Mage~~
I still cannot believe VV could so terribly mess up a character. Dune Bug had a great design, looks very nice (especially with the shininess). His gameplay flat out sucks. His energy ball does minimal damage, and his "Mystic Missiles" are sure to get you killed due to a slow rate of fire and weak damage given. His flying is absolutely useless, except for this character's saving grace. When he flies on this path, he has the ability to leave behind sparks of magic that do crazy amounts of damage. However, flying is difficult to maneuver and makes it very easy to attack. Squash this pest.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:39:49 03/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#7 Posted: 22:21:16 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Reserve.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:46:15 03/05/2014 by GoldenCamo
#8 Posted: 22:21:26 02/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Reserve.
---
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#9 Posted: 08:44:33 03/05/2014
Great idea!

Spy Rise and Wrecking Ball Total Tongue are really good in Arena battles!

When an enemies health is low you can use his upgrade: Spyder Sting and defeated them in one hit! All his other attacks are great too.

Wrecking Ball's tongue does 55 damage on each hit of his Tongue Whap and enemies can be defeated quickly.

Also what mode does this apply to? Because I always play Nightmare Mode
---
#10 Posted: 14:24:03 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: wreckingballbob
Great idea!

When an enemies health is low you can use his upgrade: Spyder Sting and defeated them in one hit! All his other attacks are great too.

Wrecking Ball's tongue does 55 damage on each hit of his Tongue Whap and enemies can be defeated quickly.

I agree with Wrecking Ball and Spy Rise, they will likely get placed at S/A. I think you may be confused, this is for Arena Battle. Or was. I'm thinking of making it a PvE tier list.
---
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#11 Posted: 14:26:22 03/05/2014
Doom's shield is indestructible. The only way you can sneak a hit on him is if you find a way to hit him from the sides.

Stone, on the other hand, isn't very good.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#12 Posted: 15:11:46 03/05/2014
Quote: GoldenCamo
Great idea!

I agree with Wrecking Ball and Spy Rise, they will likely get placed at S/A. I think you may be confused, this is for Arena Battle. Or was. I'm thinking of making it a PvE tier list.

I was talking about difficulty as what difficulty are these on? Some weak characters might be great in easy but awful in Nightmare mode.
---
#13 Posted: 15:18:22 03/05/2014
Some suggestions:

A Tier:
Ghost Roaster Skull Master
Scratch Sapphire
Shroomboom Paramushroom Promotion
Freeze Blade Ice Sculptor/Trail Freezer

B Tier:
Trap Shadow Trap Trickster/Prowler
Sunburn Blaze Dragon

I'm unsure about Prism Break Prismancer as his damage is pretty high but he just sucks in gameplay so I'm not sure where he would belong since C Tier is underpowered but he isn't but he isn't good enough to be B Tier so can C tiers name be changed to something else?
---
#14 Posted: 15:40:16 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Matteomax
Doom's shield is indestructible. The only way you can sneak a hit on him is if you find a way to hit him from the sides.

Stone, on the other hand, isn't very good.

Which path is better for the bottom? Based on what I've seen the bottom seems to function like Star Strike's spin.
---
#15 Posted: 15:42:48 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Great idea!

I was talking about difficulty as what difficulty are these on? Some weak characters might be great in easy but awful in Nightmare mode.

Nightmare, will include in the title.
---
#16 Posted: 16:11:30 03/05/2014
Would you like reasons for my suggestions?
---
#17 Posted: 16:15:24 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Would you like reasons for my suggestions?

If you want, I own all of those characters except for Scratch anyway.
---
#18 Posted: 16:21:51 03/05/2014
Are you goings to add Wrecking Ball and Spy Rise to the S Tier?
---
#19 Posted: 16:37:20 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Are you goings to add Wrecking Ball and Spy Rise to the S Tier?

Wrecking Ball's Total Tongue will probably be S as well as a few of Spy Rise's combinations, the others A.
---
#20 Posted: 17:16:19 03/05/2014
Why do you refer Wrecking Ball as it?
---
#21 Posted: 19:23:47 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator

I'm still not sure of WB's gender.
---
#22 Posted: 19:35:50 03/05/2014

He's male how did you not know that?
---
#23 Posted: 19:40:16 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator

He's male how did you not know that?

I've been debating on it since I got him, and was too lazy to look it up.
---
#24 Posted: 19:40:50 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Every tier now has at least one character!
---
#25 Posted: 20:11:12 03/05/2014
Keep going! How exactly are you doing this? Do you have more than one of each Skylander? Or are you resetting them?
---
#26 Posted: 20:27:32 03/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Keep going! How exactly are you doing this? Do you have more than one of each Skylander? Or are you resetting them?

Unfortunately for me I usually choose the wrong paths for Skylanders at first, so I experience both paths. Also, my friends sometimes choose different paths and I can try their character when we play together.
---
DaMadNes Blue Sparx Gems: 944
#27 Posted: 02:25:46 04/05/2014
Tier - S

Dunebug
Freezeblade
Free Ranger
Punk Shock

Tier - R

Trap Shadow
Hoot Loop
Stink Bomb
Rip Tide
WickedRogue Gold Sparx Gems: 2725
#28 Posted: 08:44:22 04/05/2014
Shroomboom is S Tier.
---
Elite Skystones Set Complete.
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#29 Posted: 09:04:50 04/05/2014
Spooky Specter Grim Creeper is U Tier. I don't care what you have to say about how much you love him- objectively, he just is. Grim Scythe is the same character, just more fun since he uses his moves better(I recommend him for C-Tier or B-Tier, as he's not the most powerful but can knock up enemies and zip around which is decently fun, although I'm not writing about that at the moment), which makes it a better choice when it's time to pick his path- and Spooky Specter himself is not very fun.

His Ghost Form is a poor attack on its own. On Grim Scythe, it isn't fantastic, but can compliment his other moves well, allowing him to get around with decent speed and the attack he does at the end of it still does decent damage down there(knocks up enemies, but the damage it does down SS is negligible). On Spooky Specter... They tried to make it more offensive with damaging enemies it's touched, and it doesn't work well. It's not strong enough to be worthwhile, it's not particularly satisfying, and Ghost Form leaves you vulnerable, so it's too hard to set up with little payoff. His armour attacking during Ghost Form? Pathetic. It only does 24 damage, and it doesn't knock enemies up or anything. In Nightmare mode his damage-healing when touching enemies is nothing notable, as each touch only heals 5 HP. If you're trying to get some health back and then get hit you'll probably be attacked again and die before you can heal up. His other attacks are nothing particularly fun, and don't really compliment Ghost Form(Ghost Form compliments them better down Grim Scythe- so if you want that then pick the other path). The tertiary move will always knock enemies up, which I guess you can use to attempt attacking with his Ghost Form, but that doesn't last that long, and if there are a lot of enemies surrounding you it doesn't work too good- even if you can pull that off, it's not a big achievement just to use the Ghost Form. His Soul Gem is a decent bonus-damage dealer but it doesn't get close to saving him. His regular scythe attack... Meh. It's just a standard melee move, with a decent attacking range. There is absolutely nothing special to it.

He's underpowered, but he's not fun to use because he lacks any particular redeeming factors, and his other path is just better in every way, leaving no point to this one. The best thing about Spooky Specter is Grim Creeper's design, which is actually quite good- dead serious.

Feel free to just copy and edit this post if you can't be bothered to write about SSGC. I don't mind.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:15:17 04/05/2014 by Arc of Archives
#30 Posted: 12:32:23 04/05/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: Arc of Archives
Spooky Specter Grim Creeper is U Tier. I don't care what you have to say about how much you love him- objectively, he just is. Grim Scythe is the same character, just more fun since he uses his moves better(I recommend him for C-Tier or B-Tier, as he's not the most powerful but can knock up enemies and zip around which is decently fun, although I'm not writing about that at the moment), which makes it a better choice when it's time to pick his path- and Spooky Specter himself is not very fun.

His Ghost Form is a poor attack on its own. On Grim Scythe, it isn't fantastic, but can compliment his other moves well, allowing him to get around with decent speed and the attack he does at the end of it still does decent damage down there(knocks up enemies, but the damage it does down SS is negligible). On Spooky Specter... They tried to make it more offensive with damaging enemies it's touched, and it doesn't work well. It's not strong enough to be worthwhile, it's not particularly satisfying, and Ghost Form leaves you vulnerable, so it's too hard to set up with little payoff. His armour attacking during Ghost Form? Pathetic. It only does 24 damage, and it doesn't knock enemies up or anything. In Nightmare mode his damage-healing when touching enemies is nothing notable, as each touch only heals 5 HP. If you're trying to get some health back and then get hit you'll probably be attacked again and die before you can heal up. His other attacks are nothing particularly fun, and don't really compliment Ghost Form(Ghost Form compliments them better down Grim Scythe- so if you want that then pick the other path). The tertiary move will always knock enemies up, which I guess you can use to attempt attacking with his Ghost Form, but that doesn't last that long, and if there are a lot of enemies surrounding you it doesn't work too good- even if you can pull that off, it's not a big achievement just to use the Ghost Form. His Soul Gem is a decent bonus-damage dealer but it doesn't get close to saving him. His regular scythe attack... Meh. It's just a standard melee move, with a decent attacking range. There is absolutely nothing special to it.

He's underpowered, but he's not fun to use because he lacks any particular redeeming factors, and his other path is just better in every way, leaving no point to this one. The best thing about Spooky Specter is Grim Creeper's design, which is actually quite good- dead serious.

Feel free to just copy and edit this post if you can't be bothered to write about SSGC. I don't mind.

I've tried both paths and yes, Spooky Spectre is slightly worse. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking them both in U tier.
---
AzarianGO Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#31 Posted: 04:46:57 07/05/2014
Some suggestions (more obvious ones)

S-Rank
Ranger (Either Path)
Magna (Magnet Path)
Bumble Blast (Honey Tree)

A-Rank
Bumble Blast (Bee Keeper)
Smolderdash (Sunforge)
Wind-Up (Winder)
Hot Head (Oil Baron)

B-Rank
Wash Buckler (Either/ Spin Path)
Bash (Granite Dragon)

C-Rank
Popthorn (Controlled Breather)
---
228 figures, 26 traps, 24 magic items, 480 games, 19 consoles.... I have a habit.
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#32 Posted: 00:05:57 08/05/2014
PvE?

All S tier. Skylanders needs some higher difficulty. In particular, more enemies running around.

(Runs out of thread as things are thrown)
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:06:46 08/05/2014 by Earth-Dragon
ExcitonKnight Gold Sparx Gems: 2745
#33 Posted: 04:15:03 11/05/2014
Ikr, it feels too easy, There should be some type of negative consequence to accidentally missing a jump, like in most games.
---
Merry Christmas ya filthy animal
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me