Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
is activision running out of ideas? [CLOSED]
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#1 Posted: 04:05:10 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
As said, are they?
I mean, they had giants, swappable dudes, and now a trap contraption. along with a regular game.
The trick is to make lots of toys so... you know. (obviously)
But, i feel like, they're clearing their minds.
If there will be Skylanders 5, then i bet it would be a worse plot and idea.
Does any one else feel this? i know Activision is like a genius company and could think of like a million different games, but, they are still losing customers. *not my idea, but Supported by certain and specific websites and comments*
Not only that, but they milk their buyers from their money, constantly.
Even like 2.2 billion? *something like that.* a year from supplies and merchandise.
I really hope this is the last Skylanders game, and continue making normal spyro games.
Like is said, now people are making fun of us and Skylanders because, well, quote please!
"Your too old for that shiz"
"It's the biggest gimmick"
"It steals your money"
"Too childish"
and etc.
It's just that, Activision doesn't know whats behind their backs, but already know half of it.
Meaning, they know that people make fun of it, but don't care.
They have to stop one day, maybe not soon, but one day.
Like, Assassins creed, the creator said on IGN "we have to stop someday, it does have an end."
The difference is that, Ubisoft can just, slap in characters, real or fake, give them a story with real people, and their, a perfect $60.00 game.
Activision can just add more characters like, as an example, Spyro's adventure, were there were no special Skylanders then.
But Activision is a smart company, they know the gamers expect more from them, they know if they're trying or not. for those gamers who buy it just for fun, and is not a crazy Collector, they would rather buy another game with a different experience. but, Activision needs an extra $5.00 in their pockets, yea, they will get broke. right?!?!?!?
in Spyro's adventure, I'm sure almost everyone could understand why Activisions was trying and did it for fun. now, just... just... now, they:
1: Don't care
2: Do it for the money obsession
3: Put in stupid, edit: (yet creative) ideas to work. edit:
Thank you for your time, i hope you understand too.
-Y
EDIT: I fixed the grammar, because it matters so darn much. (No offense with the past sentence, and the comments.) Thanks.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:23:55 26/04/2014 by goldenrushducks
Titancrasher01 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4325
#2 Posted: 06:02:38 24/04/2014
I completely agree after the first game came out I've been steadily losing interest in the game series and like you said at first it was a great idea but now they are just milking too much money off this series, instead of continuing the series make trap team the last game of the series and maybe bring back the original Spyro or even Crash Bandicoot. I'm a huge fan of Spyro, been one since the first game and I have all of the skylanders from ssa, giants and most from sf and if I decide to go with Trap Team then I'm promising myself it is going to be the last skylander game I will associate myself with.
---
PANCAKES!
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#3 Posted: 06:16:31 24/04/2014
Quote: goldenrushducks
i really hope this is the last skylanders game, and continue making normal spyro games.

More than 10 Spyro games is enough, it's time to make some space for new series (Skylanders). Skylanders will last for the rest of the decade.

Quote:
now, they:
1: dont care
2: do it for the money obsession
3: put in stupid ideas to work.

1. They care, they create new concepts that kids like and the designers at Toys for Bob/Vicarious Visions are passionate about what they create.
2. The goal of every single company in the world is to make money. Having a lot of money compared to other companies doesn't necessarily make them more money obsessed.
3. That's a subjective opinion... I personally like every new concept Skylanders introduced, including Trap Team.
---
bye
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#4 Posted: 06:46:15 24/04/2014
I agree. As soon as Trap team was revealed, the first thing i thought was how desperate that idea is! I originally got the first Skylanders game because of Spyro. I almost got all the figures. As each new game comes out though, I get less and less figures. In Swap force, I've only bought one new character since I got the starter pack. Skylanders is fun, but has no seriousness in the plots and story. I'm not asking for it to be what Legend of Spyro was, but Skylanders is dropping in my "Want" list right now.
#5 Posted: 13:12:25 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: newkill
i really hope this is the last skylanders game, and continue making normal spyro games.

More than 10 Spyro games is enough, it's time to make some space for new series (Skylanders). Skylanders will last for the rest of the decade.

Quote:
now, they:
1: dont care
2: do it for the money obsession
3: put in stupid ideas to work.

1. They care, they create new concepts that kids like and the designers at Toys for Bob/Vicarious Visions are passionate about what they create.
2. The goal of every single company in the world is to make money. Having a lot of money compared to other companies doesn't necessarily make them more money obsessed.
3. That's a subjective opinion... I personally like every new concept Skylanders introduced, including Trap Team.

i agree, but i mean these in another way,
they, however do care about the stories and game, but they don't care about us, 60 new toys?
over $600.00 going down the toilet
yes, i know, we don't have to buy all the toys, but some people, just love spyro too much. like, i bought spyro's adventure because of spyro, now, it's about every single other character.
i do like trap team's theme, it's just that, they don't try as hard as the first game, where it was VERY fun in my opinion.
and the money obsession, COD is still up, right? they do need to make money from these games, all video game companies do, it's just that, they make TOO many of those games. but, i still agree with you.
thanks for the feedback!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:15:24 24/04/2014 by goldenrushducks
griswoldthunder Gold Sparx Gems: 2953
#6 Posted: 15:55:32 24/04/2014
It is called the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. You eat a Snickers bar and it gives you great satisfaction. You eat another Snickers bar and while it still gives you satisfaction, you receive less satisfaction than the first. The first time you do anything is usually better. It is very difficult for a company to get you to like their product more than you liked it the first time because of the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. That is why the creators of Skylanders have done such a great job in my opinion. They cannot keep giving us more of the same, even if Spyro's Adventure was awesome. The consumer would not gain as much satisfaction as the first game. They have to be innovative. Sure, sometimes they have missed a little, but each game has had very likable elements. Trap Team seems really interesting because who doesn't want to play as the bad guys. Would it be cool to have figures of the bad guys? Absolutely. Who is to say that that isn't part of their plan for Skylanders 5. Or maybe they take a year off from a story game and come out with a Smash Bros. type game where it is all really cool arena fighting and they release the bad guys for sale then.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3281
#7 Posted: 16:56:12 24/04/2014
Looks to me like they're innovating, not running out of ideas. Running out of ideas would be releasing new Skylanders every year with no new change to the formula.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
ninja9351 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4924
#8 Posted: 17:12:03 24/04/2014
No.... Just no.... They are innovating. This is invention at its finest. I haven't yet figured out how the traps actually work, like scientifically but it's innovation. Also please learn to use the shift key to capitalize you sentences!!!
---
I make Skylanders videos-Go Check em' out! youtube.com/portalmaster9351
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#9 Posted: 17:35:37 24/04/2014
There's not much you can currently do with this technology, so they need to create innovations.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#10 Posted: 18:04:24 24/04/2014
lol, is this a serious thread? C'Mon, go play Madden, or CoD....those games have run out of ideas. Fun games but they just slap a new name on it and move forward each year. I'm 36. My son is 4 going to be 5 soon. We love this, each year its something new. I am honestly pretty stoked about this. At first i wasn't but it really looks like it will be a lot of fun. If they stayed the same we'd be playing Skylander Spyro's Adventure 4 right now. with 4 series of the same 32 characters.
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
Sunny Castanets Gold Sparx Gems: 2231
#11 Posted: 18:27:26 24/04/2014
I actually felt more excitement for Trap Team than I did for Swap Force.
---
Quote: Tashiji
Sunny, as always, you are so darn smart.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#12 Posted: 18:32:14 24/04/2014
Quote: griswoldthunder
It is called the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility. You eat a Snickers bar and it gives you great satisfaction. You eat another Snickers bar and while it still gives you satisfaction, you receive less satisfaction than the first. The first time you do anything is usually better.

Hey, Eric the CEO just told me that their job was to recreate that very first Wow. Please tell me he didn't lie.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#13 Posted: 18:49:27 24/04/2014
I actually liked the swap idea, i thought it was neat but I still play as the figure mostly not swapped because i feel thats how they should be played. Trap sounds pretty cool in that you can sort of pokemon the boss after you beat them and add them to your team. For all we know this is the end of Kaos as a boss and the end of this game will lead to a newer more evil boss.
#14 Posted: 20:50:48 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: ninja9351
No.... Just no.... They are innovating. This is invention at its finest. I haven't yet figured out how the traps actually work, like scientifically but it's innovation. Also please learn to use the shift key to capitalize you sentences!!!

I'm too lazy.
ButT is that, the most important topic now? smilie
#15 Posted: 20:53:51 24/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: OimakKamio
lol, is this a serious thread? C'Mon, go play Madden, or CoD....those games have run out of ideas. Fun games but they just slap a new name on it and move forward each year. I'm 36. My son is 4 going to be 5 soon. We love this, each year its something new. I am honestly pretty stoked about this. At first i wasn't but it really looks like it will be a lot of fun. If they stayed the same we'd be playing Skylander Spyro's Adventure 4 right now. with 4 series of the same 32 characters.

If you think of it correctly, you'll understand. I mean, think of the next skylander game, it can be pretty hard. activision knows we won't be satisfied with another SSA, so they keep up ideas, but those ideas are hard to come by. And yes, this is a serious topic.

p.s. sorry 4 double post.
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#16 Posted: 21:11:54 24/04/2014
Quote: ninja9351

I'm too lazy.
ButT is that, the most important topic now? smilie

You made a serious topic, you should at least act more mature.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#17 Posted: 21:51:40 24/04/2014
To the OP: know when to press enter and use correct grammar. Even after enduring reading the mess, I think the net/net is that people are making fun of Activision and fans? To with I say: I don't care what people think, I like what I like. And really, isn't Activision laughing all the way to the bank anyway?

In my opinion--speaking out of a USB device isn't really an innovation, but in these types of games...isn't it all about the illusion of magic? In that sense, there's some interesting dynamics in play in this game that we haven't seen before. My problem is the additional dollars it will take to fully enjoy it, and the fact we haven't addressed any real innovation on the gameplay. If they have in fact ignored gameplay this time around I doubt I'll be on board for this one.

But hey, I'm enjoying the buzz...these times are much more exciting than when we know everything.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
dinoah2005 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3472
#18 Posted: 05:55:46 25/04/2014
I for one think they did a great job finding a new way to play. When I showed my son (age 8) the video of Trap Team, He was very excited about how you can trap the bad guys in the crystal and then play them in the game. As for sucking us dry, I knew what we were getting into when SSA came out. I have no regrets. It gives my son and I a lot of bonding time (Playing and hunting for new Skylanders).
#19 Posted: 15:39:27 25/04/2014
My son keeps thinking the skylanders can talk, it took showing him the video a few times to explain to him that its capturing the bosses and making them go into the crystals in which he asks if it's like pokemon, which makes sense cause in a way it sort of is.
#20 Posted: 15:48:43 25/04/2014
Quote: SlayerX11
My son keeps thinking the skylanders can talk, it took showing him the video a few times to explain to him that its capturing the bosses and making them go into the crystals in which he asks if it's like pokemon, which makes sense cause in a way it sort of is.

If they feel the magic, then it is magic. From that perspective I think the game is going to capture a lot of kid's imaginations. I've been run over by life too much but I get the allure.
---
#21 Posted: 17:33:49 25/04/2014
Quote: SlayerX11

That's what I thought when I was explaining it to my dad. That it was like Pokemon in a way.
---
#22 Posted: 01:19:04 26/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: GhostRoaster
To the OP: know when to press enter and use correct grammar. Even after enduring reading the mess, I think the net/net is that people are making fun of Activision and fans? To with I say: I don't care what people think, I like what I like. And really, isn't Activision laughing all the way to the bank anyway?

In my opinion--speaking out of a USB device isn't really an innovation, but in these types of games...isn't it all about the illusion of magic? In that sense, there's some interesting dynamics in play in this game that we haven't seen before. My problem is the additional dollars it will take to fully enjoy it, and the fact we haven't addressed any real innovation on the gameplay. If they have in fact ignored gameplay this time around I doubt I'll be on board for this one.

But hey, I'm enjoying the buzz...these times are much more exciting than when we know everything.

i can type whatever the way i like too, and use as horrible grammar as i like too. {as an example <-}

With the rest, i agree with.

@Mateomax
Fixed, see the last sentence....
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:27:25 26/04/2014 by goldenrushducks
#23 Posted: 02:23:53 26/04/2014
Sure, but your mother wouldn't be proud.
---
Thepokeman Blue Sparx Gems: 590
#24 Posted: 07:21:04 26/04/2014
From now on they should just bring out new games for £/$30 and no new charaters or reposes just use the ones you already have in a different story.
#25 Posted: 15:32:05 26/04/2014
Quote: Thepokeman
From now on they should just bring out new games for £/$30 and no new charaters or reposes just use the ones you already have in a different story.

Never will happen, they make alot off the figures.
CTFdad Yellow Sparx Gems: 1439
#26 Posted: 16:54:48 26/04/2014
Yeah it would be nice if they made more games to go with the current portals/characters and purchasable online content.
---
"Shut up and take my money already!"
#27 Posted: 17:32:07 26/04/2014 | Topic Creator
Quote: GhostRoaster
Sure, but your mother wouldn't be proud.

i respect you, but please be more mature.
12manyskylnders Red Sparx Gems: 83
#28 Posted: 19:39:51 26/04/2014
Plain and simple, if you buy the figures and play the games, don't complain. If you no longer care for the series and/or Activision, walk away.

I think Skylanders is a great idea overall. My 8 and 6 year old kids love playing the games, my 2 year old loves playing with the figures, and personally I love the chase and collecting of the figures. Sure Activision has sucked my wallet dry but it's made for a common family interest. My wife might see things differently though lol.

Kudos Activision!!
---
SSA: 32/32 SG: 46/48 SF: 21/56 + Legendary, variants, & special editions
Takadox360 Gold Sparx Gems: 2852
#29 Posted: 19:40:11 26/04/2014
Yes...
I agree. I mean..... RED BASES!!?? I think we already had orange ones!?!? What a ripoff.
---
i am trash
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#30 Posted: 01:42:54 05/04/2016
I just want there to be a Dune Bug repose with some kind of armor based off of a Goliath Beetle

[User Posted Image]
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#31 Posted: 05:10:09 05/04/2016
Don't forget Machete Stealth Elf and Die Hard Trigger Happy smilie.

I liked the revamped from SC and I have a few variants from SG and SSF, but I hope for more new Skylanders. And in place of color variants they should make special holiday characters (easter bunny or so).
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#32 Posted: 05:34:14 05/04/2016
SC was a huge risk but I am very excited for what Skylanders has next. This is the year for Skylanders to gain the losses of 2015. I am just waiting for an announcement.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#33 Posted: 09:44:21 05/04/2016

talk about predicting the future and being right... now whats your input on skylanders6?
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:46:08 05/04/2016 by CountMoneyBone
#34 Posted: 10:29:21 05/04/2016
Quote: CountMoneyBone

talk about predicting the future and being right... now whats your input on skylanders6?

Shut up Count. Plot wise this was either the best or second best. I mean, Trap Team's story pales in comparison to SSC. Stop with your doomsaying.
---
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#35 Posted: 10:31:27 05/04/2016

Its probably going to be the opposite now since the wage slaves will take flack from the shareholders for making a terrible game 5 and they will make a much better effort . They cannot slack off or the DI chompy is going to chow their profits up .

I cannot say it will be better than SA , Giants , SSF or TT but it will be one heck of an improvement over Mario kart . I cannot believe they cut so many corners in the face of DI 3.0 . Mr TFB , Mr Vv and Mr Acti ,What the heck awesome magic weed were you boys smoking ? The great Mouse is laughing at you and rightly so .

[User Posted Image]
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 10:49:27 05/04/2016 by Dark fhoenix
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#36 Posted: 15:18:18 05/04/2016
Not just DI is laughing at the Skylanders brand, I'm sure all of the competition is. Their success was well earned, as they communicate with retailers and customers a lot better than this brand. You show you care and the customers generally flock to you.

I know that DI is top dog now, but they didn't get it by sitting back and twiddling their thumbs.

Edit: seems they're not only running out of ideas, but people to work on their game now that Guha and Karthik have abandoned ship.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:27:36 05/04/2016 by GameMaster78
GamerDrone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3287
#37 Posted: 15:57:26 05/04/2016
Hopefully, they will come up with something exceptional. I always felt that adding racing meant the franchise was on its last legs and pretty much ready to end. Mario is probably the only exception.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#38 Posted: 21:09:01 05/04/2016
Quote: GamerDrone
Hopefully, they will come up with something exceptional. I always felt that adding racing meant the franchise was on its last legs and pretty much ready to end. Mario is probably the only exception.

mario kart is great because its mario kart, if they made mario kart into a skylanders spyro adventure game and slapped on the mario kart name. it would have failed as hard as superchargers, the biggest mistake ever is to change a game to something it is not and what the fan of the game are not into. the idiots at vv have nearly killed the whole skylander franchise because of this racing bs. i just hope that tfb can bring it back, but the damage is done so that can be very hard now, and the result can be that skylanders6 will be the last game.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#39 Posted: 22:25:32 05/04/2016
Funny mentioning Mario Kart. You can always tell when a game is out of ideas. They put kart and vehicles in your games.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#40 Posted: 23:35:07 05/04/2016
Yet many more games with nice concepts will continue coming every year lol.
---
bye
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#41 Posted: 04:39:45 06/04/2016
"The same procedere as last year, Miss Sophie?"
"The same procedere as every year, James."

Based on "Dinner for one".

I think in a few weeks we're all happy because Sky 6 is officially announced and in a year or so we will lead the same diskussion about Sky 7 smilie.
tigerdr Yellow Sparx Gems: 1976
#42 Posted: 05:45:11 06/04/2016
Quote: GamerDrone

mario kart is great because its mario kart, if they made mario kart into a skylanders spyro adventure game and slapped on the mario kart name. it would have failed as hard as superchargers, the biggest mistake ever is to change a game to something it is not and what the fan of the game are not into. the idiots at vv have nearly killed the whole skylander franchise because of this racing bs. i just hope that tfb can bring it back, but the damage is done so that can be very hard now, and the result can be that skylanders6 will be the last game.

it was great but it's just plain awful now. nintendo lost all the heart of the series between the wii and wii u transitions. the wii u version not only controls horrible but offers so less of a chance to be 1st place that its playing russian roulette in taking a top 3 spot in a race. I'm glad when i bought it that i got the offer fora free game, got pikmin 3 to make up for it.

And on a second note it wasn't a bad idea, that and VV actually helped make some of the refreshing ideas to the franchise. Without vv jumping wouldn't be a thing and tfb would've killed the franchise sooner with stale gameplay. Go play giants 3ds, swap force and the wii u version of giants as well. All of these they did fantastic work on. I haven't played superchargers yet but it's nice they tried something different.

A part of the blame falls on both acti and them as there always has to be a gimmick to make more money than lost it. Their focus is on getting supplimental purchase aside figures now because it makes them more money.

Quote: GameMaster78
Your contribution to the Skylanders defense force has been noted. Your check is in the mail. Many years to come and they can't even give a glimpse at what Sky 6 is. No signs of Buzz Wing and Thrillipede. Looking like any show of game will be at the booths of the big three. All the while the competition is already alluding to their next releases or gearing up for them.

So many bad choices in the course of just a few months, but whatever helps people sleep better.

"My, what a gullible breed." - Agent K.

A necroed thread only gets another necroed response. We get it. You're butt hurt because of the free yawn traps, but you aren't the only one that's spent a good chunk of money on this franchise over the years. You might've been a superfan and you may feel justified the brand let you down but let's be real. No one told you to buy so much over the years, and the company owes you nothing. As they are finding out that they have to work to retain loyalty and this year people said no to their garbage. Sure most of us bought figures but no where near the amount that trap team shoved out or even swap force before it. I'm sure this year was their first in the red by a landslide and they only have themselves to blame.

While it's great to have a hobby and get swept up in its magic, it does soon fade with time. A business is a business and we're all just one small piece they try to lure to make their next buck, and in most cases it only lasts a certain amount of time.

The games aren't going to change and they are running out of ideas. They drew as much as they could out of it and there's just so little more they can do with gimmicks where they have to actually do something with the story or make the figures actually matter. it's what happens when greed takes over.
---
Taking that last ride through the sunset on skylanders. Hopefully a return of more classic spyro gameplay in the horizon.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:02:12 06/04/2016 by tigerdr
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me