Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Skylanders no longer working [CLOSED]
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#1 Posted: 10:05:10 14/04/2014 | Topic Creator
My Hot Dog stopped working a week ago and a few users in the Swap Force comment sections have had their's stop working.
Is time running short for our older Skylanders?
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 13:03:34 14/04/2014 by wreckingballbob
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#2 Posted: 12:35:03 14/04/2014
that will be a big problem for the series if figures start dying
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#3 Posted: 13:11:15 14/04/2014
Not here...yet.
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#4 Posted: 14:53:14 14/04/2014
I'm sure that the microchip inside the Skylanders figurines does have a limited lifespan. They won't work forever.
However, passive type RFID chips are intended to last for many years, potentially decades.
If your figurine is already "dead", it may have been due to trauma (dropping, falling off a table, mistreatment by kids/animals, etc.).

I think you can contact Activision about possibly getting a replacement, but I don't know how strict they are about their policies on replacements.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
AzarianGO Blue Sparx Gems: 719
#5 Posted: 14:57:44 14/04/2014
Could just be a faulty RFID, as we've got atleast another 15 years before RFID chips mass dying becomes an issue as the chips in skylanders are passive.
---
228 figures, 26 traps, 24 magic items, 480 games, 19 consoles.... I have a habit.
GhostRoaster Yellow Sparx Gems: 1803
#6 Posted: 15:33:01 14/04/2014
Quote: BahamutBreaker
I'm sure that the microchip inside the Skylanders figurines does have a limited lifespan. They won't work forever.
However, passive type RFID chips are intended to last for many years, potentially decades.
If your figurine is already "dead", it may have been due to trauma (dropping, falling off a table, mistreatment by kids/animals, etc.).

I think you can contact Activision about possibly getting a replacement, but I don't know how strict they are about their policies on replacements.

When my Gil Grunt's bottom fell off I had a look at the chip. They don't gingerly place them in the figure, and mine was kinda bent. In my opinion, the tech isn't failing, it may be the manner in which they're placing them in the figure itself that causes the chip to fail. It could also be a bad "batch" somewhere but I'm sure they test them. Maybe.

Of note is the fact that as an investment we will all lose our investment in this game/toys if they fail at some point. Granted, we may never play this game 20 years down the road but that surely puts a lifespan on any investment we put in this franchise...and I think they need to answer those concerns candidly.
---
RIP GhostRoaster. He's reanimated as TakeYourLemons but occasionally is resurrected from the beyond when needed.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:36:05 14/04/2014 by GhostRoaster
Pyrofer Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#7 Posted: 16:45:20 14/04/2014
GhostRoaster hit the nail on the head. Poor construction is the leading cause of failure.

I had a Scorp that had the RFID tag half out of the base and it was bent and ripped, OUT OF THE BOX. It never worked.
Activision were quick to send a replacement but there is no doubt the construction is poor at times.

If your figure died it was probably already damaged when you got it inside the base where you couldn't see.

There is a chance that taking the base apart you could repair the antenna or replace it (keeping the chip and using a new antenna) if you are desperate to keep your data. You don't have much to lose trying this if it is already dead!
Eggers Yellow Sparx Gems: 1305
#8 Posted: 23:49:21 14/04/2014
Eventually, everything burns out. Hard drives stop working after so long because of how much they are used. With the constant saving and reading of data on the figures, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the chip flames out. In technology, nothing ever lasts a lifetime and that's why you backup computer files that are important to you. Sadly, the only backup for a Skylander you have is to get a second one.
---
Rainbows are nature's rainbows!
AzureStarline Emerald Sparx Gems: 3539
#9 Posted: 15:46:04 15/04/2014
To address my above comment, I should have specified "if figures start dying this fast" ... I think years from now is perfectly acceptable, for reasons stated in comments already here. This reminds me of GBC save data batteries dying after 10-ish years.
---
Favorites: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#10 Posted: 17:51:41 15/04/2014
Well I Did a College Paper (on the same chip tech that that is used in the figures) and what I found out is that the expected life of the NFC chips they use is about 20 years (or longer if treated well).
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#11 Posted: 18:27:42 15/04/2014
Gill Grunt from SSA
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#12 Posted: 19:10:51 15/04/2014
Well, something similar happened with early production Legendary Bouncers. Their lights died out and they stopped working.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Epic popthorn Emerald Sparx Gems: 3277
#13 Posted: 17:29:14 18/04/2014
My dino-rang stopped working
JetVac96 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1973
#14 Posted: 02:54:34 19/04/2014
My 100% Eye Brawl died a few months ago, it was a traumatic experience.
---
"Sucks to be you!" - Jet Vac
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:55:00 19/04/2014 by JetVac96
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me